Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61646 times)

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
He never was so funny and relaxed for a long time though. I guess it all depends on how much me trusts the interviewer, and in this case, it is his personal journalist if you like to call it this way. Did this guy not also write the "essay" for the Live Box Set?

LE

That and also the wine.

I did not detect any clues that wine was involved here?

LE

Yeah, he had a glass of red wine on the table.
Cheers Mark. Good boy
Love will find a Way

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
Great to see him again.  Mark in a really good mood.  Totally messed up the few notes of BIA he played; his hands shaking badly. 😢

Noticed that too. Makes me very sad indeed. First saw it on the Bill Wyman 80's Party.
When performing his hands were really shaking badly.
Impossible to do a concert with these hands.  :'(
Love will find a Way

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
"Did this guy not also write the "essay" for the Live Box Set?

Yes . Paul Sexton. Journalist, broadcaster and author who has written about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler since the band's early days.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 03:29:58 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
  • Don’t crash the ambulance, whatever you do
Great to see him again.  Mark in a really good mood.  Totally messed up the few notes of BIA he played; his hands shaking badly. 😢

Noticed that too. Makes me very sad indeed. First saw it on the Bill Wyman 80's Party.
When performing his hands were really shaking badly.
Impossible to do a concert with these hands.  :'(
Happy to see Mark well. He seemed in good spirits too. Yes, the part where he played the BIA intro was difficult for him, but give the man a break, he's in his seventies and probably has better days and worse days playing. I will follow the auction closely, by the way.
It's all about the music.

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
Why worry=Why bother :) :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
https://youtu.be/NuURfFQlzK8?si=be2IZqcFr-e08_VO

Many thanks jbaent.   Mark was very relaxed and he made me smile a lot!   I'm looking forward to the  new album even more - if that's possible.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
https://youtu.be/NuURfFQlzK8?si=be2IZqcFr-e08_VO

Many thanks jbaent.   Mark was very relaxed and he made me smile a lot!   I'm looking forward to the  new album even more - if that's possible.   :)

Same here. So glad to see him doing well and in such a good mood. This video made my day.
Thanks again for sharing, jbeant!
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Nice clip indeed! I love when Mark is impersonating people, he's really good at it. Regarding the failure to play the opening notes of BIA, that can be due to a number of things. I noticed that his body seemed very stiff. He had difficulty turning his head and had to turn his whole body. He was very chatty and very "on", which is not unusual when people have had a few glasses of wine. That may not be the case here, though.

Did he say "I used to have a strong left hand"?  Indeed seeing him now,

He didn't say "I used to", but "I had a strong left hand then". The word "then" meaning "therefore". Because he started playing the guitar right handed but was in fact left handed, he then [therefore] had a stronger left hand [the hand used to press down the strings] because that is his dominant hand. But of course his hands are nothing now compared to what they were.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Last night's anecdotes from the master got me thinking can anyone ever remember Sultans being played WITHOUT the 'twiddley bits'??

I'm looking forward in one way to the album but seeing the state of his hands have wondered if they are the reason it's taken so long. At the end of the day MK has nothing to prove to anyone...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 10:51:29 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Nice clip indeed! I love when Mark is impersonating people, he's really good at it. Regarding the failure to play the opening notes of BIA, that can be due to a number of things. I noticed that his body seemed very stiff. He had difficulty turning his head and had to turn his whole body. He was very chatty and very "on", which is not unusual when people have had a few glasses of wine. That may not be the case here, though.

Did he say "I used to have a strong left hand"?  Indeed seeing him now,

He didn't say "I used to", but "I had a strong left hand then". The word "then" meaning "therefore". Because he started playing the guitar right handed but was in fact left handed, he then [therefore] had a stronger left hand [the hand used to press down the strings] because that is his dominant hand. But of course his hands are nothing now compared to what they were.

Ah, thank you very much for explaining. Those are the details that often get lost because of the language barrier. His mood was great, but he looks really not in a very good condition, it is not meant from a nasty point of view but it's more that I am concerned. I hardly recognize the MK that I loved to see live on stage for decades. I wonder how he manages to play more than a couple of notes on the new record. I don't expect any worth mentioning soloing but only strumming at the most. I know of course that there is some studio wizardry. That solo on Pale Imitation is one of the most beautiful ones from the last albums.

It also struck me that I admire him for doing this whole auction thing. He keeps control over everything, and that means he controls what happens with all those really iconic guitars. It gives me the same "gulp" that MK felt when I think that those really really iconic guitars are not longer in his reach. Many of them I have seen live on stage, those moments he created with them are pure magic in my memory for ever, and of course he knows that he no longer would be able to create that magic, so instead of leaving it and just live on, he keeps control and decides what to do with them. That is so typical for him.

Another little detail: When that girl handed him the Martin, and after he played, when he gave it back, I was thinking, hopefully he is not too arrogant in ignoring her helping hand, and indeed he made that little funny remark to her, I love him for that. His whole personality shone very humble, reflected, wise, and with much self-irony.

I had a good laugh about him imitating Chet, that Guitar Store Georgie and the teacher, he indeed likes to do that obviously. I had an even bigger laugh when he started that red Fender story once more, with every same detail that we all are able to cite in our sleep (50 quid, big stretch for him, blew the radio) I really wonder if he himself is not bored by it in the meantime. But at the beginning of the talk he was very eloquent and hard to stop. I love this clip!

LE
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 10:57:32 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
I could hear him talk for hours and never get bored, even if he always tells the same handful of stories we have heard trillions of times.
Considering the state of his hands, and by his own admission, I'm curious as to what will come out on the album guitar wise.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I could hear him talk for hours and never get bored, even if he always tells the same handful of stories we have heard trillions of times.
Considering the state of his hands, and by his own admission, I'm curious as to what will come out on the album guitar wise.

Studio makes impossible things to happen.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
great video. Mark in such good mood

from my memory, it's the first time I heard Mark talking so much about his sister Ruth

I didn't know that it was his boyfriend who learned him the first steps of playing guitar

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
I can't notice it :( At what point does Paul Sexton say he's listened to the new album?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
I can't notice it :( At what point does Paul Sexton say he's listened to the new album?

At around 19.25
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.