Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61740 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
My 5 cents:

Kudos to the team working on this, the amount of details/photos/facts/quotes nailed perfectly is one of the best in MK-related project I ever seen.

I feel like this detailed information about the auction should've came out after the new album announcement, as it feels strange to see new songs.

Astonishing to see so many songs that were recorded but never released, boy we'll have some fun after 50 years when they will be finally released!

Nice to see Mark sells The Ragpicker's Dream Martin #2, it means he still holds the #1.

All the time reading this I think how great guitars Mark is not selling.

Imagine giving Mark Knopfler a guitar as a gift, and then seeing it at the auction.

Gotta admit, gifting MARK KNOPFLER a Gibson FLYING V and thinking it would suit him was very brave.

A lot of unreleased titles and from the new album sounds like a simple bluesy/folky numbers like Hot Dog.

The happiest guy to appreciate this auction will be Jeroen who can now update A LOT of guitars on his website with cool photos.

So do I get it right that he is selling so many guitars he has just used to make a new album? What does that say about the guitars and the album? Strange somehow. Not exactly how I understood the idea of auctioning "unused" guitars.

But the album was already recorded, so technically these guitars are of no use anymore. This article is a perfect example of Mark using a lot of guitars just for one song... If the guitar was used at all, it should consider itself lucky.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
"A lot of unreleased titles and from the new album sounds like a simple bluesy/folky numbers like Hot Dog"

:think
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
"A lot of unreleased titles and from the new album sounds like a simple bluesy/folky numbers like Hot Dog"

:think

So you think "Fat Chance Dupree" is a short folky number or a deep emotional ballad akin to "When You Leave"? Unreleased Privateering stuff is definitely the blues. Anyway it's pointless to discuss the titles, it could be anything. I would choose not to see the titles, but it would make it extra hard to follow the catalog.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Nothing is certain but "Watch Me Gone" and "The Living End" trigger my imagination.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Some notable ausenses in the catalog:

- Black Pensa Suhr
- Neck and Neck Pensa Suhr
- Pensa MK2 - but there's the P90 -
- Pensa Super MK1? That one used in TR on 2005
- Alchemy era Schecters and black telecaster

Personally I have no doubts that the Pensa MK 1 will reach the highest price of all, maybe not far from the 7 digit range.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 12:46:25 AM by iorch82 »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

- Black Pensa Suhr

Personally I have no doubts that the Pensa MK 1 will reach the highest price of all, maybe not far from the 7 digit range.

Well not every guitar is in his possession anymore, I think he gives away a lot of his guitars. As you read it through you remember quite a lot of great guitars that are missing, so I want to see a parallel universe version of the auction where Mark sells his best guitars.

I think the 1959 Les Paul has a much better chance of breaking the two commas barrier, as Pensa MK1 is special exclusively to the club of MK fans, and hardcore ones at that, for everybody else it's a superstrat that happens to be Mark's main guitar for quite some time. Everybody wants a Gibson LP, including MK himself in "poverty" times.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
I remember Nathan Cavalieri already has his Fernandes, Ingo.Raven posted on his site that he got to play with the Schecter used on Tunnel and TR that was in hands of a particular person, so I guess some other of MK guitars would be the same case.
So Long

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Surprised to see the blue Pensa go ::)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
My 5 cents:

Kudos to the team working on this, the amount of details/photos/facts/quotes nailed perfectly is one of the best in MK-related project I ever seen.

Absolutely, and it makes the catalogue a must-have. I understand that you get all these lot gems printed and that you can order it? Really good detailed work as what I gave seen so far, haven't read all of it yet.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinemarki

• Local Hero
I’m quite sure the 59 will top all the rest significantly.

I wonder how many MK signature strats he has (beside the 2 very first ones), the 2 sold here are from 2013 with high serial # (also 2010 with ‘lipstick’ pickups)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
I think they have some info wrong...

Regarding his Hoffner it says MK was playing it with the Cafe Racers, but I remember reading long ago that MK left that guitar at home when he left Newcastle to Leeds and then London, and we've seen pictures of MK playing the red Gibson with the Cafe Racers and also with DS, like in the Farrer House gig picture.
So Long

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I think they have some info wrong...

Regarding his Hoffner it says MK was playing it with the Cafe Racers, but I remember reading long ago that MK left that guitar at home when he left Newcastle to Leeds and then London, and we've seen pictures of MK playing the red Gibson with the Cafe Racers and also with DS, like in the Farrer House gig picture.

The history of this guitar in particular is so strange. I remember hearing/reading David Knopfler actually owned it? Either way, the easay says it is NOT Mark's actual first guitar, but a replacement he acquired in 2002, so there are at least 2 Hörner's according to this. That's the important bit I think because people think they are going to buy Mark's first guitar when it's merely a duplicate. I mean how sentimental one could be to get a copy of your first guitar? Mark is on another level.

Also, about this: VALCO, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, CIRCA 1959 A SOLID-BODY ELECTRIC GUITAR, SUPRO DUAL TONE (https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6465741?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6465741&from=salessummary&lid=1)

Having mentioned that the Supro Dual Tone was just like a guitar he had growing up, Mark Knopfler received this guitar as a gift from mastering engineer Denny Purcell of Georgetown Masters in Nashville, during the mastering of his soundtrack album Metroland in July 1998. In the accompanying note, Purcell wrote: ‘Mark, it is such a pleasure for us to be able to give you a guitar just like one you once owned! What a wonderful connection to your past, our present.’ Knopfler told us: ‘This was just like my second grown-up guitar.’
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 12:24:23 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Surprised to see the blue Pensa go ::)
He's keeping the blue ice one

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
The 1983 LP is THE guitar

I bet it is the one that will top the auction.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineafonso

• Guitar George

- Black Pensa Suhr

Both the Schecter Sunburst and Neck and Neck Pensa-Suhr from Knopfler´s (ex-)collection are now with this person in France:
https://www.guitarmotel.net/guitar/pensa-suhr-1990-flat-top-strat-played-by-mark-knopfler-on-neck-neck-duet-album-with-chet-atkins/

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.