Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61795 times)

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
Quite a nice interview about the auction on BBC Newshour this morning: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w172z09rywglk49.

Apols if the link is tricky, the show is still on air., but it's probably half way through the one hour show.

Thanks for the link (it works very well).   :thumbsup  Great to hear Mark's wonderful voice. He sounds good!
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
The David Gilmour guitars auction on Christie's (in New York) is still available to watch in this link, with the prices the guitars reached:

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/auction-16980-nyr/browse-lots

I was specially curious about the Fender Stratocaster with the serial number 0001, and it was sold by A LOT

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6198082?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6198082&from=salessummary&lid=1

There is a virtual tour of the exhibition:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=pQbSASrVHwN&brand=0

There is also a website for the Eric Clapton auction at Christie's, also New York:

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/eric-clapton-guitars-in-aid-of-the-crossroads-centre-9604/

Here is something with a curious picture of MK I've never seen before:

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4894290

Can't find a virtual tour about this one, seems Clapton made two auctions, one in 1999 and other in 2004.
So Long

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
The David Gilmour guitars auction on Christie's (in New York) is still available to watch in this link, with the prices the guitars reached:

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/auction-16980-nyr/browse-lots

I was specially curious about the Fender Stratocaster with the serial number 0001, and it was sold by A LOT

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6198082?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6198082&from=salessummary&lid=1

There is a virtual tour of the exhibition:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=pQbSASrVHwN&brand=0

There is also a website for the Eric Clapton auction at Christie's, also New York:

https://www.christies.com/en/auction/eric-clapton-guitars-in-aid-of-the-crossroads-centre-9604/

Here is something with a curious picture of MK I've never seen before:

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4894290

Can't find a virtual tour about this one, seems Clapton made two auctions, one in 1999 and other in 2004.

Thank you, interesting. Still can't wrap my head around 21 MILLION for a bunch of guitars. It's quite funny though, 120 grand for an old Gibson Chet Atkins... You can buy like 80 guitars just like this for this money. But I guess David Gilmour can sell a toothpick for $100,000 if he wants to. That's fame!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
Quite a nice interview about the auction on BBC Newshour this morning: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w172z09rywglk49.

Apols if the link is tricky, the show is still on air., but it's probably half way through the one hour show.

Many thanks - I just listened.   It began around 18 mins. :)

I absolutely love MK laughing at about 22.22
[/quote
He'll be laughing all the way to the bank after the auction!

You know what have been really nice?  If he'd have put these guitars in a museum (perhaps at British Grove) for his fans to visit.  He could've added other stuff too and I'm sure Guy and others would have kept mementos from various tours to add.  I know I'd pay to go and see that, and as a permanent display it would be a regular income as well as being a part of his estate.

It's a nice idea but the reality of the situation is that MK is in no way popular enough to sustain interest in a permanent museum. The Beatles could. ABBA have one in Sweden. Elvis has Graceland but even then the numbers are following as his fans die off.

A few donations to Hard Rock Cafes perhaps.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The Gilmour prices are INSANE.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
Just a thought - but there’s logic behind the sale from a tax planning perspective.
He’s got too many guitars now, when MK eventually passes his family won’t want all of them! They will become part of his estate and the total value of his estate will be subject to 40% inheritance tax (less a small allowance). If they then sell his guitars and they sell for more than their estimate, the estate possibly pays capital gains tax at 28% on top. Result is guitars find a new home, charity doesn’t benefit and MK’s beneficiaries receive a fraction of their worth whilst the taxman looks on smiling away.

So as Mark says, let them go now to new homes where he hopes they will be played. He gets to smile knowing they have new homes and are being enjoyed. And more to the point, he is conducting an orderly transfer of some of his estate to his kids (or whoever) because as long as he survives 7 years if he gifts them the money then it stays out of inheritance tax. It’s sensible - the same as many artists have done with publishing rights.

So two take away messages:
1. He’s kept enough guitars to record with and they’re the staple ones he uses and is enjoying right now.
2. He’s tidied up the house a bit, protecting his estate a bit from the tax man knowing he expects to live at least another seven years (fantastic!) - and it’s likely he’ll do another record in that time.

No one likes talking about the tax situation when the inevitable happens but if you’re mega wealthy it makes a lot of sense to do so.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Just a thought - but there’s logic behind the sale from a tax planning perspective.
He’s got too many guitars now, when MK eventually passes his family won’t want all of them! They will become part of his estate and the total value of his estate will be subject to 40% inheritance tax (less a small allowance). If they then sell his guitars and they sell for more than their estimate, the estate possibly pays capital gains tax at 28% on top. Result is guitars find a new home, charity doesn’t benefit and MK’s beneficiaries receive a fraction of their worth whilst the taxman looks on smiling away.

So as Mark says, let them go now to new homes where he hopes they will be played. He gets to smile knowing they have new homes and are being enjoyed. And more to the point, he is conducting an orderly transfer of some of his estate to his kids (or whoever) because as long as he survives 7 years if he gifts them the money then it stays out of inheritance tax. It’s sensible - the same as many artists have done with publishing rights.

So two take away messages:
1. He’s kept enough guitars to record with and they’re the staple ones he uses and is enjoying right now.
2. He’s tidied up the house a bit, protecting his estate a bit from the tax man knowing he expects to live at least another seven years (fantastic!) - and it’s likely he’ll do another record in that time.

No one likes talking about the tax situation when the inevitable happens but if you’re mega wealthy it makes a lot of sense to do so.

Somewhat a tough read but interesting nevertheless, thank you.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
It's a great point but the reality of the situation is that rich people in the UK don't pay inheritance tax if they don't want to (MK might want to). The government has enabled numerous loopholes so that it is easily avoidable if you are wealthy enough.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Wherever I go I’m still crossing streets to look at guitars in the windows of music shops. I’ve done that since I was a little kid. I’ve lived with this love affair for over sixty years. That has meant a passion for all kinds of guitars: the impossible dreams and plenty of the less expensive ones too. As a career in music made it possible for me to realise some of those dreams, guitars of all shapes and sizes began to appear.

It’s time to take some of these treasured six-string companions out of their cases and leave them in the care of Christie’s to allow them to have new adventures with new owners. You can be sure I’ll be sad to see them go but we’ve had wonderful times together and I can’t play them all. To you fellow players, enthusiasts and collectors, I wish you many good times with these old friends of mine.

MK
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 01:26:57 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Wherever I go I’m still crossing streets to look at guitars in the windows of music shops. I’ve done that since I was a little kid. I’ve lived with this love affair for over sixty years. That has meant a passion for all kinds of guitars: the impossible dreams and plenty of the less expensive ones too. As a career in music made it possible for me to realise some of those dreams, guitars of all shapes and sizes began to appear.

It’s time to take some of these treasured six-string companions out of their cases and leave them in the care of Christie’s to allow them to have new adventures with new owners. You can be sure I’ll be sad to see them go but we’ve had wonderful times together and I can’t play them all. To you fellow players, enthusiasts and collectors, I wish you many good times with these old friends of mine.

MK

"To you fellow players, enthusiasts and collectors, I wish you many good times with these old friends of mine."

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler

MK

"To you fellow players, enthusiasts and collectors, I wish you many good times with these old friends of mine."

I bet many guitar players would buy some. Joe Bonamassa usually buys guitars in this events.
So Long

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Have any of the Gilmour guitars resurfaced in the hands of players?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Have any of the Gilmour guitars resurfaced in the hands of players?

Rhetorical question...

MK

I bet many guitar players would buy some. Joe Bonamassa usually buys guitars in this events.

To be honest, I never understood Joe's over obsession with guitars... You don't need a gazillion guitars to play the blues. Just like Mark said, you can't play them all anyway. At least Mark really gets to use the unique properties of his instruments. But to each their own. Any collector of anything is a bit crazy. I'm collecting songs I learned and have to admit, a little crazy too. Some collect cars, some collect guitars. It made me think though, instead of posh London auction Mark could've silently sell his guitars through Rudy Pensa (for instance) with the Knopfler tax included in the price. But it's way more complicated than a simple old-school auction.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid

I bet about it too.
I believe many of these guitars will be sold by almost 'market value'
And, some of those guitars are a real 'possible dream'.
For those who buys Fender Custom Shops, Gibson Murphy Lab or PRS Private Stock, some of MK's guitars will be values lower than this famous brands.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

I bet about it too.
I believe many of these guitars will be sold by almost 'market value'
And, some of those guitars are a real 'possible dream'.
For those who buys Fender Custom Shops, Gibson Murphy Lab or PRS Private Stock, some of MK's guitars will be values lower than this famous brands.

I think you can forget about 'market value', it's not why they advertise the auction for more than 2 months ahead and promote it in flesh in two of the richest towns on Earth. The video on Christie's channel has 250K views in 3 days and everybody, I mean everybody who I know already know about it. So it's going to be a major battle of wallets.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 39 queries.