Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61850 times)

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
If my favorite guitarist sells his guitars, I can only think that the tenth album will be the last. But I try not to think like that.

He's not selling ALL his guitars, but the ones he doesn't use!

Yes, I know, but my first thought was sad and reflective.

Same feelings here. But yes there are still many guitars left that brings back hope for more music to come our way by our hero.

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms

About the age-dexterity thing, a few years ago I watched Pat Martino (who is 77 ATM ) playing a 2 hour set full of solos various orders of magnitude more complex that Mark's. Not to open any side discussion, but it might be either - laziness / lack of interest or some thing in the lines of health issues.

Obviously everyone's body is different. If MK says it's an age/dexterity issue, why question it?

Exactly!
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
there is the Signature strat, but not the 61 original one...

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
So nobody is going to talk about the fact that Mark not only mentioned John Suhr in an interview about auctioned guitars, but praised his work as well? That's the most amazing detail about this whole thing. Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Like John once said: He and MK was good friends and John doesn't know why MK suddenly stopped to talk with him...

And, above all, this is a REAL auction.
So, MK needs to do real-talk about gear and the real story about his guitars.

Far as i know, the recent Pensas with back mounted humbuckers are authorized by John Suhr.
(i belive i heard John talking about it on the GuitarWank Podcast with Scott Henderson and Bruce Forman)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Watching the video now, the Hofner was the big surprise to me.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Onlinemarki

• Local Hero
Gilmour sold his ‘top’ guitars and still about to release a CD and probably tour.
MK kept his ‘top’ guitars (National, Strat, 58 and so on).
Yet, I don’t think he’ll tour. Maybe just one-off performances.

Like Gilmour the incentive isn’t financial (although Gilmour gave it all to charity, I think) just releasing them out there - both to be played and to downsize the collection (handling so many instruments making sure they don’t rust etc. isn’t easy also).

I was glad to hear MK complimenting John Suhr, yet again the ‘Napkin’ story… as mentioned here, he clearly took a side. Also John IS a great luthier (not was).

As always, so great to hear MK heartwarming voice, especially when speaking about guitar.
Bitter sweet symphony

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
31.01.2024 11AM GMT, put it in your calendars yall

Thank you for the reminder, I'll be sure to place a bid on a printed booklet: https://store.christies.com/product/the-mark-knopfler-guitar-collection

They are available to pre-order - I've ordered a copy
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
I did feel a tinge of sadness when I read the news about the auction. Especially the red walk of life telecaster. Not sure why, maybe because it was always played early on in a set and I was always on a high looking forward to the show. Who knows as I don’t. Im in the lucky location to be able to go to the presale viewing assuming its open to the general public.I did the same with the recent Freddie Mercury auction. The estimates at the FM auction were ridiculous, I think auctioneers call it “come and buy me valuations”. Hundreds of menial items valued at £50-100 all went for £1k+. I understand MK doesn’t have anywhere near the same appeal but their are only 120 lots which will push the price up as well.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I did feel a tinge of sadness when I read the news about the auction. Especially the red walk of life telecaster. Not sure why, maybe because it was always played early on in a set and I was always on a high looking forward to the show. Who knows as I don’t. Im in the lucky location to be able to go to the presale viewing assuming its open to the general public.I did the same with the recent Freddie Mercury auction. The estimates at the FM auction were ridiculous, I think auctioneers call it “come and buy me valuations”. Hundreds of menial items valued at £50-100 all went for £1k+. I understand MK doesn’t have anywhere near the same appeal but their are only 120 lots which will push the price up as well.

Yeah, the Red Telecaster is certainly iconic, to me even more iconic than the 1983 Les Paul as Mark used it for longer. But still a one-trick pony, like a lot of Mark's guitars. I wonder how many people are rush-selling their entire collections of guitars inspired by MK in order to acquire enough money for "the real deal".

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Yeah, the Red Telecaster is certainly iconic, to me even more iconic than the 1983 Les Paul as Mark used it for longer. But still a one-trick pony, like a lot of Mark's guitars. I wonder how many people are rush-selling their entire collections of guitars inspired by MK in order to acquire enough money for "the real deal".

I disagree that the Tele is more iconic.  The LP was used on two of his most famous songs and at Live Aid as well as being used of the BIA world tour.  It's the guitar that made that famous MFN riff! 
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer

It is open to the public.
I plan to take a daytrip to London to take a peak!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

I disagree that the Tele is more iconic.  The LP was used on two of his most famous songs and at Live Aid as well as being used of the BIA world tour.  It's the guitar that made that famous MFN riff!

Yes, my bad, probably. I'm just so much not into this at all...

Ok, this is the guitar, and? It's just like any other decent Les Paul out there with the exception it was owned by Mark Knopfler. If he buys an iPhone, it doesn't make this thing so much better suddenly. It's what you do with the damn thing that matters. I loved how one reviewer of a new crazy-fast Apple computer said something like "It won't help you become a better video editor and make better videos, you'll still be making bad videos... but faster".

I have no idea what's the best way to get rid of guitars used by famous people and on famous recordings, I guess there is no way except to auction them and hope for the best. In fact, it's the selling itself that transforms it from being an instrument to being a collector's item. I honestly thought these guitars were going to be a British Grove guitar park thing, like guitars you can use for recording or something, but Mark went the traditional way.

I wonder what he's going to do with his publishing, as everybody seems to agree artist's estate usually does a bad job of keeping the legacy alive.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
I highly doubt that’s an average LP. Have a look at Rhett Shull’s video on finding the best Les Paul, it’s very interesting. Mark must’ve played every Gibson Les Paul Standard he could put his hands on before choosing that one.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
https://www.christies.com/en/stories/mark-knopfler-guitar-collection-a9058db914514f9b83516d99ff7c15f4

I’ve just been recording some stuff for a little EP, and roads run through all those nursery rhymes.

The article - the interview ends at the most interesting moment.
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
https://www.christies.com/en/stories/mark-knopfler-guitar-collection-a9058db914514f9b83516d99ff7c15f4

I’ve just been recording some stuff for a little EP, and roads run through all those nursery rhymes.

The article - the interview ends at the most interesting moment.

I'd say that some of the titles that appeared in iswc could be that little ep of nursery rhymes

T-316.772.805-0 WALKING OUT
T-316.772.806-1 NEW LINE CINEMA LOGO
T-316.772.807-2 CRASHED PLANE
T-316.772.808-3 BREEN SCHUMANN HOW ARE YOU
T-316.773.363-9 AS LOW AS IT GOES
T-318.603.417-9 KINGS FANFARE
T-319.245.622-3 IMPROVISATION
T-319.322.515-5 SIMPLE QUIRK OF FATE
T-319.322.516-6 ESCAPE FROM THE CIA
T-319.322.518-8 SHUMANN ARRIVES
T-319.322.519-9 TRIUMPHANT HOMECOMING
T-319.322.521-3 SCHUMANN WANTS TO BOOGIE

So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.