Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61858 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
So nobody is going to talk about the fact that Mark not only mentioned John Suhr in an interview about auctioned guitars, but praised his work as well? That's the most amazing detail about this whole thing. Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

I don't think MK has ever dissed John or anything, it's more that he's just been super loyal to his mate Rudi.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
The red Schecter Tele is the shocker to me, he's used it at every one of his shows that I've seen, going back to the early nineties. It hasn't exactly been gathering dust. Hate to say it, but this one more than any other suggests he's done touring for good.
I haven't seen him use that one since 2008.

The only thing we know for sure is that he’ll never play Walk of Life again…
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Yes, it's another milestone. I suspected he stopped playing the Dire Straits numbers with the long "twiddly" solos because his hands were becoming less dextrous, although Guy would faithfully deflect questions like this.  I used to be able to have a fair bash at ToL & TR but at age 68 I know I'd struggle now (even if I could remember them) as my hands are slowly seizing up (I can still manage Sultans). So, no more touring followed by a downsizing of his guitar collection. To be fair he doesn't need back-ups if he's not touring, so he can probably dispose of some of the duplicates, but it is a surprise to see the '59 Les Paul go.  We know he's been using the '58 on the last few tours so presumably that's his favourite, despite the wooden plug in the front. The '59 looks in better condition and will probably make more in an auction. I knew he'd gone off the MK1 Pensa Suhr, partly because the neck was too thin. I don't think the purple Pensa/Suhr in the auction preview is the "you & your friends" one, I've got a photo of him playing that and it looks black AND the pickup configuration is different (the black one has a neck pickup).  The purple one is more likely to be the synclavier one used on So Far Away. (it's got a lot of extra knobs on ! )
If he's keeping around 20 that gives me scope for another one or two ;D, although I have been considering disposing of a couple of my less played ones
I have to admit to still having my first cheap, plywood acoustic, but only because it's worth nothing!, I moved my first few electric and acoustic guitars on as I bought better ones, but still find it hard to let any of them go. Maybe when I'm 74 I'll think differently, When you buy a guitar you've got to think that you are just the custodian and It's likely going to outlive you.

Anybody else feeling sad about this?

I mean, they are just wood and wires at the end of the day but after the retirement from touring it just feels like something that has been so important in my life is fading away...

About the age-dexterity thing, a few years ago I watched Pat Martino (who is 77 ATM ) playing a 2 hour set full of solos various orders of magnitude more complex that Mark's. Not to open any side discussion, but it might be either - laziness / lack of interest or some thing in the lines of health issues.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado

About the age-dexterity thing, a few years ago I watched Pat Martino (who is 77 ATM ) playing a 2 hour set full of solos various orders of magnitude more complex that Mark's. Not to open any side discussion, but it might be either - laziness / lack of interest or some thing in the lines of health issues.

Obviously everyone's body is different. If MK says it's an age/dexterity issue, why question it?

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
The only thing we know for sure is that he’ll never play Walk of Life again…

He played it (kind of) on a Strat in 2014 or something like that ;D.

But kidding aside, we'll never see him live again. I think that has been clear for years now.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Obviously everyone's body is different. If MK says it's an age/dexterity issue, why question it?

Exactly, I'm 45 and unfortunately I'm starting to develop some arthritic issues that mean my guitar playing days may be numbered.

People who can play guitar to a virtuosic degree in their 70s are very much in the minority I would say...

OfflineBarrow boy

• Guitar George
  • A shiver in the dark
Those guitars deserve to be played, as a player myself I would love to afford one of them and use it everyday like my own guitars. It makes me sad that also Mark hopes that somebody is going to play them but most likely they'll all end on a case not being played. I understand they are a piece of history and they have to be preserved it's just so many mixed feelings right now ...

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado

People who can play guitar to a virtuosic degree in their 70s are very much in the minority I would say...

It was reported Keith Emerson committed suicide because he found he couldn't play keyboards to the standard he expected of himself, with hand and finger issues, which depressed him sadly.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

It was reported Keith Emerson committed suicide because he found he couldn't play keyboards to the standard he expected of himself, with hand and finger issues, which depressed him sadly.

It's very sad. I'm not a professional musician but I like getting out and gigging in the pubs with my little band. My attitude is that you just have to deal with the cards life deals you. I'll never complain about getting old as there are so many people not afforded that privilege.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
Sure, but when you are known as one of the all time great guitar players, it's hard to deal with not being able to be that person any more.
I get frustrated when I hear myself play these days, compared to 1992. I'm not going to kill myself, or even stop playing, but it's still frustrating....and a little depressing.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
Sure, but when you are known as one of the all time great guitar players, it's hard to deal with not being able to be that person any more.
I get frustrated when I hear myself play these days, compared to 1992. I'm not going to kill myself, or even stop playing, but it's still frustrating....and a little depressing.

Wow, for the record your youtube covers of your 92' self are pretty spot on!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I think it's very sad indeed.  There's a lot of iconic guitars and a lot of memories there and you can't buy them.  What use is all the money to him?
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
I think it's very sad indeed.  There's a lot of iconic guitars and a lot of memories there and you can't buy them.  What use is all the money to him?
Keeping British Grove alive?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
What use is all the money to him?

You can just as easily ask what use the guitars are to him.

Remember that he has to pay to safely store them as well. Chris Evans said a while back that MK had a big warehouse that he was jealous of. I imagine it being like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark :)

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
If my favorite guitarist sells his guitars, I can only think that the tenth album will be the last. But I try not to think like that.

He's not selling ALL his guitars, but the ones he doesn't use!

Yes, I know, but my first thought was sad and reflective.

Same feelings here. But yes there are still many guitars left that brings back hope for more music to come our way by our hero.
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.