Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61473 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Was anyone else surprised by how much that weird looking Pensa went for? Over 100k. Don't remember him ever using it.

Which weird Pensa?
So Long

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Lot 33.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
In all honesty, the current Pensas are little more than glorified, overpriced partscasters. Lots of the work is outsourced, unlike Suhr Guitars or Tom Anderson Guitarworks (and many more) where all the parts are produced / work is done in-house (with the exception of the manufacture of the hardware).

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
Lot 33.

Ah, yes, that one.

According to the lot essay in Christie's:

According to Rudy Pensa, this guitar was one of a number of prototypes made for a Pensa Custom jazz model by luthier Masanobu Hino. Eager for feedback on the planned jazz model, Pensa sent this custom example to Mark Knopfler as a gift in 1996.

So i guess he never got to use it but kept it as a gift, same than that V flyer guitar that his ex brother in law gave to him, lol
So Long

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
The only Pensa-Suhr that means anything is the Mk1. It was ordered and built for a purpose even if rushed. And maybe the one that he pulled from the auction. The later ones I have a suspicion that he never really wanted. Rudy of course wanted him to have them for the advertisement and to stay relevant for a bit longer. So he just kept sending them as gifts to Mark.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Why was it called the MK1?  I mean it wasn't his first Pensa-Suhr - that was the purple SFA model and he also had the black one before then.  Should be the MK3!

And I just don't buy all this patter about it being rushed for the Mandela show.  It was not only ready for the warm-up shows but it debuted at the Princes Trust show before that!  It was obviously completed in plenty of time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 02:12:27 PM by dmg »
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
The only Pensa-Suhr that means anything is the Mk1. It was ordered and built for a purpose even if rushed. And maybe the one that he pulled from the auction. The later ones I have a suspicion that he never really wanted. Rudy of course wanted him to have them for the advertisement and to stay relevant for a bit longer. So he just kept sending them as gifts to Mark.

He still has a good number of Pensa guitars that Rudy gave to him and didn't sell, I remember that one he played in TR during the 2005 tour, or the one he played during the 2019 with f holes...
So Long

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
Sure he does. And he'll get another one or three most likely. And they're friends. But I don't think he really wanted them. At least that's my feeling.

About Mk1 - yeah, not exactly the first one, but Pensa made it into a model and called it Mk1 so I suppose that's why

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
In all honesty, the current Pensas are little more than glorified, overpriced partscasters. Lots of the work is outsourced, unlike Suhr Guitars or Tom Anderson Guitarworks (and many more) where all the parts are produced / work is done in-house (with the exception of the manufacture of the hardware).

Ooh, that's a bold statement. I think Mark would be going elsewhere if the quality wasn't at least on a par with other makers.  Equally, a lot of iconic guitars were partscasters (e.g. Clapton's Blackie) Making one superb guitar out of a number of good ones is a lot easier to do with a bolt-on neck Fender type of build.   
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
He wouldn't play them if he didn't like them.

He didn't seem to like the Pensa MK strats that suspiciously came out at the same time as the Fender signatures!

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Keith Urban selling one of his most precious guitars? I think we just found out who bought one from the auction… 👀

https://youtu.be/hMBcZ6liF0o?si=WSPetpF8YGAtnvMW
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Keith Urban selling one of his most precious guitars? I think we just found out who bought one from the auction… 👀

https://youtu.be/hMBcZ6liF0o?si=WSPetpF8YGAtnvMW

Wouldn't be a surprise. Keith is a major MK fan.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I can't believe how laid back and lax security was at Christies! They let seemingly anyone play the guitars, without a strap, balanced on their knee, with the Schecter tele right behind just waiting to be knocked over!  :smack

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VxKSb0KJw6M

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
 :lol

Oh, man  :smack

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I can't believe how laid back and lax security was at Christies! They let seemingly anyone play the guitars, without a strap, balanced on their knee, with the Schecter tele right behind just waiting to be knocked over!  :smack

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VxKSb0KJw6M

Yeah, Dusty, it's worse than posting videos of someone killing puppies, you should've at least put it under the spoiler :lol

And doing it in the coat too. At first, I thought it was a fake video, but it's not. Unbelievable. The son of the highest bidder?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.