Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61608 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
People like Clapton, the Stones and McCartney are the exception rather than the rule. I really don’t think most 75 year olds could deal with what comes with going on tour or even playing one gig.

Anyway, the debate is kind of pointless. It’s pretty clear live is finished so we should look forward to the other forthcoming projects.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
"Anyway, the debate is kind of pointless. It’s pretty clear live is finished so we should look forward to the other forthcoming projects.

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I agree, it's pointless talking about Mark's health, and it's really only his business. I am only interested in his music and songs.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I am beginning to wonder if this will be his final album.  The time taken is perhaps due to him returning to the studio for guitar overdubs and the fact he indicated he used a new acoustic on 4 tracks maybe says something too.  He even recalled the American contingent.

He's always made a point of saying "the right guitar for the right song", but now he's selling so many of his legacy guitars that if he's looking for that sound he won't find it.  I genuinely don't think the signs are good.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
"He's always made a point of saying "the right guitar for the right song", but now he's selling so many of his legacy guitars that if he's looking for that sound he won't find it"

I think he has this awareness. But the question about the last album remains open.
Clear as the day

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
I am beginning to wonder if this will be his final album.  The time taken is perhaps due to him returning to the studio for guitar overdubs and the fact he indicated he used a new acoustic on 4 tracks maybe says something too.  He even recalled the American contingent.

He's always made a point of saying "the right guitar for the right song", but now he's selling so many of his legacy guitars that if he's looking for that sound he won't find it.  I genuinely don't think the signs are good.

dmg, I was quite astonished when I read your thoughts about this being the final album. I don't know since when, but for me it was pretty clear (for quite some time now) that it probably will be his last album. The way it comes to shape, almost six years now, to me it was pretty clear that this will be something big (maybe a double album?) to make it great as it would be the last one, and I was really astonished that you kept thinking it could NOT be his last one.

Funnily, the American contigent that you mention came in for the EP if I got it right, and also the talking about buying new guitars changed my mind a bit. The EP seems to be planned later or was not planned during the album recording. So my impression that this would be his last album, slowly fades. Guy (I know) mentioned also that Mark will go on writing songs, and maybe he has recognized that certain electric guitars or not playable for him anymore, maybe he changes to acoustic completely.

The way I think of MK is that he of course could keep in mind that it COULD be his last one. So he sure enough wil try to craft it the best he can, make it a milestone, another one.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
As far as I see in the Christie's catalogue, he's selling many guitars that he is not playing for many many years, and the ones he did recently, he has others very similar, specially when it comes to acoustics, he's selling the Boswell he played live on Matschtick man and in the new album but he's saying he got some new Boswell that are smaller and sounds great...

He's selling most of his LP but I'm sure he's keeping one or two as he has many of them, sale with the Strats and some of the f holes Gibson guitars...

He's going to have enough guitars to search for sounds for studio records in the future, no worries about that.
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
"He's going to have enough guitars to search for sounds for studio records in the future, no worries about that"

And I'm holding on to this hope :)
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
"He's going to have enough guitars to search for sounds for studio records in the future, no worries about that"

And I'm holding on to this hope :)

It's not a hope. He kept many guitars, I don't know the numbers but I'm sure he has a lot of them yet.
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Hope. That the 10th album will not be the last.
Clear as the day

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
He still has lots of Fender Stratocasters and a few Telecasters, several Les Pauls, several Pensas (even the black Pensa-Suhr), Martin and Gibson acoustics, Monteleones, etc. etc., and a TON of amplifiers. The man still has plenty of grear to make great music.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
He still has lots of Fender Stratocasters and a few Telecasters, several Les Pauls, several Pensas (even the black Pensa-Suhr), Martin and Gibson acoustics, Monteleones, etc. etc., and a TON of amplifiers. The man still has plenty of grear to make great music.

Yes, and I am sure he will use these guitars as long as he his able to.
He is obsessed with it. I mean, writing and recording will always be a big part of his life. I don't see him walking the dogs all day long.
So let's think positive!
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
I refer you to a quote from Guy in answer to a comment I made on his forum a month or so ago:

“He has been mulling the idea of thinning out the collection for a long time. The sale in no way reflects on his enthusiasm for music creation. He’s as excited to come into the studio and record as ever.”

Hopefully I’ll be at Christie’s to view the guitar collection tomorrow (Monday 22nd), assuming there are no serious knock-on effects to public transport resulting from Storm Isha…
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:23:45 PM by Rolleyway Man »

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
I was wrong when I said he was selling the Boswell, My mistake, I meant the Sobell, lot 114
So Long

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
I can see him release another album in 2026 or 2027. He would be 77/78 years old by then, it's not impossible.
Live concerts of any kind, on the other hand, that's over.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.