Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61700 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
The 1983 LP is THE guitar

I bet it is the one that will top the auction.

Used to record the Brothers In Arms album in Monserrat and taken on the following world tour.  Got to be worthy for fans as well as any other music fan  simply for historic reasons.

The Pensa MK1 is relatively unknown outside the circle.  I never really liked the sound of it anyway.  Maybe at the Prince's Trust 1988 and Knebworth 1990, but that's it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:40:31 PM by dmg »
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinekempston_joystick

• Guitar George
Some notable ausenses in the catalog:

- Black Pensa Suhr
- Neck and Neck Pensa Suhr
- Pensa MK2 - but there's the P90 -
- Pensa Super MK1? That one used in TR on 2005
- Alchemy era Schecters and black telecaster

Personally I have no doubts that the Pensa MK 1 will reach the highest price of all, maybe not far from the 7 digit range.

The black Schecter tele is in the auction.

Offlinemarki

• Local Hero

I highly doubt it, the 59 will be well above it  ::)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler

- Black Pensa Suhr

Both the Schecter Sunburst and Neck and Neck Pensa-Suhr from Knopfler´s (ex-)collection are now with this person in France:
https://www.guitarmotel.net/guitar/pensa-suhr-1990-flat-top-strat-played-by-mark-knopfler-on-neck-neck-duet-album-with-chet-atkins/

Apparently also the national tricone and the black Pensa...

Who is this and how is he has that guitars?
So Long

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler

I think that would be the Pensa Suhr
So Long

Offlinemarki

• Local Hero

I think that would be the Pensa Suhr

No, no, let’s wait and see

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Another model that I didn’t notice when going over the lots, unless I missed it, was the HD40MK signature Martin. I’m kind of glad about that because that model inspired a number of the songs on The Ragpicker’s Dream and that’s an album that means rather a lot to me. That being said, he could of course have already given his examples of that signature model to other players!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

Used to record the Brothers In Arms album in Monserrat and taken on the following world tour.  Got to be worthy for fans as well as any other music fan  simply for historic reasons.

The Pensa MK1 is relatively unknown outside the circle.  I never really liked the sound of it anyway.  Maybe at the Prince's Trust 1988 and Knebworth 1990, but that's it.

If you go on the guitar forums it’s the Pensa that is most coveted. I’m not sure how wide you are extending the circle but it’s an iconic guitar.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Indeed, they did a 360 view only for the MK1 and the 59 LP. They know these two are the jewels in the crown.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...

If you go on the guitar forums it’s the Pensa that is most coveted. I’m not sure how wide you are extending the circle but it’s an iconic guitar.

The Pensa and the 59 LP will also be very high figure but none of these two are the one used to record and perform on stage Money For Nothing (and also Brothers In Arms) during the LiveIn'85/'86 tour.

This is no more a guitar for guitarist but for history.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 07:15:48 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Yeah, we’ll see. Will be interesting to see what sells for more. The 59 has more intrinsic value than the others in that they regularly sell for circa $300k without a celebrity connection, but the others have more historic value to MK collectors. So ultimately it will come down to what value the highest bidder puts on the MK connection.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineafonso

• Guitar George

- Black Pensa Suhr

Both the Schecter Sunburst and Neck and Neck Pensa-Suhr from Knopfler´s (ex-)collection are now with this person in France:
https://www.guitarmotel.net/guitar/pensa-suhr-1990-flat-top-strat-played-by-mark-knopfler-on-neck-neck-duet-album-with-chet-atkins/

For all I know its a collection of about a 1/3 of all the Pensa-Suhr guitars produced (John Suhr 1986-91 era), by someone who has another job and loves guitars and Mark Knopfler; but then again I read somewhere the earliest one - black Pensa Suhr 1987 - is still in mr.Knopfler´s possession. That would indeed make sense, since it might be 85% of what Pensa-Suhrs mean to him, and he can still proceed with selling the one that is able to attract the highest bids of them all, the carved flame quilt maple-mahogany 1988 Pensa-Suhr, by which everyone remembers him from the early nineties. In my opinion its going to get the most attention: three probable bidders? - This parisian collector - Rudy Pensa (imagine the trophy it would be to keep the top guitar "he"´s ever made) - That american collector who has Clapton´s black Strat

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

- Black Pensa Suhr

For all I know its a collection of about a 1/3 of all the Pensa-Suhr guitars produced (John Suhr 1986-91 era), by someone who has another job and loves guitars and Mark Knopfler; but then again I read somewhere the earliest one - black Pensa Suhr 1987 - is still in mr.Knopfler´s possession. That would indeed make sense, since it might be 85% of what Pensa-Suhrs mean to him, and he can still proceed with selling the one that is able to attract the highest bids of them all, the carved flame quilt maple-mahogany 1988 Pensa-Suhr, by which everyone remembers him from the early nineties. In my opinion its going to get the most attention: three probable bidders? - This parisian collector - Rudy Pensa (imagine the trophy it would be to keep the top guitar "he"´s ever made) - That american collector who has Clapton´s black Strat

Gotta love it when somebody has an insane guitar collection that would put both Mark Knopfler's and David Gilmours collections to shame, and yet nobody knows who owns it. These collectors, man, always a little bit weird.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
If Mark wanted these to be played he could do so.

It is up to him.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
If Mark wanted these to be played he could do so.

It is up to him.

I think he gave away more guitars than I played in my entire life, so he has the right to sell some as well. The collectors nature of it is what always makes me sad.

Obviously, you won't give a 1959 Les Paul or Pensa-Suhr MK-1 to some random kid learning to play, but the prospect of a guitar hanging on a wall in some kind of Hard Rock Cafe or ending up a lot #1,000,000 in some weird collector's possession is worse than destruction or theft in my book. No way Mark is not aware about all this.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.