Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 127680 times)

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1395 on: March 15, 2024, 04:28:41 PM »
Yeah, that hit me for six.
I spoke with him for over two hours just before Christmas. He was full of beans, talking about future projects, asking me to drop in and see him some time.
I always thought he would be there as long as I was alive. But now he's gone, which reminds you of the fragility of life.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #1396 on: March 15, 2024, 04:49:39 PM »

Replacing the drums on a "live" recording isn't fakery?

Because you didn't read my post. The drums were not, NEVER were replaced. Samples were mixed in below the level of my real drums.
I'm not even sure they were, but I would not be surprised.
Once you put a microphone on an instrument you are changing the sound. You can eq and congress the drums, you can also mix in a fatter, more refined sample instead of just EQ'ing it.
It's still me playing, it's still at least 50% my sound.

Thank you for the clarification.

I'd still rather just hear your actual drums though. Mixing in a sample is fakery to me but we can agree to disagree. :)

But is it more fake than adding chorus to a guitar signal? Or using an octave pedal? Or stacking overdrives? Or - using digital modellers? :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1397 on: March 15, 2024, 04:51:33 PM »

Replacing the drums on a "live" recording isn't fakery?

Because you didn't read my post. The drums were not, NEVER were replaced. Samples were mixed in below the level of my real drums.
I'm not even sure they were, but I would not be surprised.
Once you put a microphone on an instrument you are changing the sound. You can eq and congress the drums, you can also mix in a fatter, more refined sample instead of just EQ'ing it.
It's still me playing, it's still at least 50% my sound.

Thank you for the clarification.

I'd still rather just hear your actual drums though. Mixing in a sample is fakery to me but we can agree to disagree. :)

But is it more fake than adding chorus to a guitar signal? Or using an octave pedal? Or stacking overdrives? Or - using digital modellers? :)

To me it is - in all those instances the musician is still playing the instrument.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1398 on: March 15, 2024, 05:28:15 PM »
Yeah, I am STILL playing the instrument. Why would you think not???
The playing sounds exactly the same with or without samples, the sample is just like adding some great EQ

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1399 on: March 15, 2024, 05:33:32 PM »
This exactly explains the typical process. It's a sweetener, not a cheat or a way to fix badly played, bad sounding drums:

https://youtu.be/XwDxJS7MfAY?si=9rq7g8DIj4c1oK9Q

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1400 on: March 15, 2024, 05:41:47 PM »
You seem to take my opinion as some sort of criticism of your drumming which it absolutely is not, the opposite in fact.

I'd prefer to hear just your drums, as per the Basel bootleg for example.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1401 on: March 15, 2024, 06:50:08 PM »

To me it is - in all those instances the musician is still playing the instrument.

Noooooo.
I'm neither taking it personally or as a criticism. You clearly posted that it was fakery and heavily implied (above) that I wasn't playing the instrument.
Compared to the mix on On The night, 'in all those instances' of guitar pedals etc, the 'musician is still paying the instrument'.
So in the case of the On The Night album I'm still playing the instrument and the audio on the record is me still playing the instrument.
Just trying to get the facts straight here.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1402 on: March 15, 2024, 08:31:16 PM »

Noooooo.
I'm neither taking it personally or as a criticism. You clearly posted that it was fakery and heavily implied (above) that I wasn't playing the instrument.
Compared to the mix on On The night, 'in all those instances' of guitar pedals etc, the 'musician is still paying the instrument'.
So in the case of the On The Night album I'm still playing the instrument and the audio on the record is me still playing the instrument.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that at all.

But mixing fake drums in with your real drums is still fakery to me.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1403 on: March 15, 2024, 09:05:09 PM »

Noooooo.

I had a professor in university who refused to listen to recorded music because "we don't listen to music with our ears pointed at sound sources like microphones". The guy only visited unplugged classic music performances. I'm dead serious.

To somebody like him all recorded music is fakery ;D I mean fakery in music is a big subject, in this case I think it's more or less a little enhancement of a live sound. They didn't have a week to move microphones Guy Fletcher style, you see! :lol

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #1404 on: March 16, 2024, 02:10:14 AM »
Oh come on, it isn’t fakery. It’s got everything to do with the recording/mic placement of an instrument, nothing with altering what’s being played.
I am a producer and mixer and especially with live recordings this happens all the time. I do it all the time. Mostly just because there’s to much bleed from other instruments and the snare sample sounds dry, so you can make the overall mix less ambient. Turn the overheads down in the process as well.
I have to say, listening to Ahead of the game, it sounds to me there’s also a snare sample added there. I’m pretty sure I’m hearing a slightly different sounding snare in the overhead mics than the close snare sounds.
Sound good though, so who cares?
For what it’s worth, On the night sounds great as well. Slick, not pure; true. But it does spark a certain special emotion. To me, at least. So all good in my book. Triggered samples or not, whatever!
On the subject; I grew up with that record, so thanks you Chris W!

Noooooo.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:46:41 AM by Peter1981 »

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #1405 on: March 16, 2024, 02:45:54 AM »

Noooooo.

I had a professor in university who refused to listen to recorded music because "we don't listen to music with our ears pointed at sound sources like microphones". The guy only visited unplugged classic music performances. I'm dead serious.

To somebody like him all recorded music is fakery ;D I mean fakery in music is a big subject, in this case I think it's more or less a little enhancement of a live sound. They didn't have a week to move microphones Guy Fletcher style, you see! :lol
My Dad used to tell me that if a singer used a microphone he couldn’t sing properly. Horses for courses. He also said if you couldn’t whistle the melody it wasn’t a song. Very old school, needless to say he thought MK was utter shite.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1406 on: March 16, 2024, 08:43:29 AM »

Noooooo.

My Dad used to tell me that if a singer used a microphone he couldn’t sing properly. Horses for courses. He also said if you couldn’t whistle the melody it wasn’t a song. Very old school, needless to say he thought MK was utter shite.

Lol

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1407 on: March 16, 2024, 09:13:51 AM »

They aren't fake drums they are drum samples. You can think it's fakery if you like, but it's been standard practice on many records since the early 1980's. And the player still has to play to the best of their ability.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1408 on: March 16, 2024, 09:30:47 AM »

They aren't fake drums they are drum samples. You can think it's fakery if you like, but it's been standard practice on many records since the early 1980's. And the player still has to play to the best of their ability.

Again, I offer no criticism of your playing which is obviously top drawer. If you have the inclination you can trawl through my posts over the last 15 years and I’m confident you won’t find anything to the contrary. What I’m saying is I would rather hear just your playing, without the samples, as per the various bootlegs and presumably the added OTN tracks.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1409 on: March 16, 2024, 11:14:22 AM »

Noooooo.

Lol

Jokes aside, I agree with Banjo99uk's Dad, especially in whistling the melody department. I'm very old school and seem to have been born in the wrong country and at the wrong time, and I'm constantly going around whistling old show tunes, jazz standards and arias from operas. As you can guess, rarely when I do whistle Mark's songs as they are extremely economical with great melodies, so nothing in these words I find wrong. Even Mark himself admitted he's not a good melody writer.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.