Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130261 times)

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1035 on: December 05, 2023, 10:25:25 PM »
always loved the middle part
but not being a Springsteen nut, and (upon checking just now) really not liking his "tunnel of love", can someone pinpoint me to the exact timestamp for the above mentioned "event"?

In the clip I posted, it starts at about 5:40, as I mentioned. It goes on for a bit.

And Bruce's TOL is a gem  ;)
yikes...lol. horrible guitar also. did not finish the song. sorry. luckily tastes differ...

If you mean the guitar in the one by Bruce, that is guitar ace Nils Lofgren on guitar. I think the soloing fits the song; it sounds like a ride down the tunnel, and there is a nice echoing of the melody by voice/guitar. Bruce was so happy with the result that he named the album after that song.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #1037 on: December 06, 2023, 02:54:00 PM »
I admire most studio drummers (in particular).
Yes, I absolutely loved Jeff Porcaro and Andy Newark and admired their work - at the time I was trying to do similar standard work in the studio (1980's). Those were the guys I looked up to.
But as far as in my formative years, earlier in my teens etc it was Narada and Prairie Prince.

Chris, - were you ever contacted as a drummer for "Dire Straits Legends" (DSL) ?

I have personally never seen them live, but if they came to Denmark, I would give it a go.

Cheers Peter

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1038 on: December 06, 2023, 05:48:42 PM »
No.
I played with Dire Straits Experience for just over two years.
I just saw their show several times in France and they are outstanding. There is energy, they look like they are blessed to be there and they are playing to 3000-3500 per night. Full PA and lighting rig. It's like a proper rock concert, NOT a tribute.
So I would recommend seeing them.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #1039 on: December 07, 2023, 11:31:42 PM »
I don't think there are any guitar bits in the Bruce Springsteen catalogue that has the same kind of vibes as MK's. That said, there's lots of great guitar playing there. They do more or less the same thing ofte, with the guitar/voice/writing complementing each other. I'm sure they could "re-create" the songs and cover each other, but if they straight up tried to just play each other's tunes as they are on the albums/tours they'd butcher them completely. Totally different styles. That said, one could wonder how MK would do a song like Jungleland og Drive all night, with the sax solos being replaced by guitars.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #1040 on: December 07, 2023, 11:38:11 PM »
@Chris W: Do you remember any songs that were rehearsed for the OES tour, but never actually performed?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1041 on: December 08, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
@Chris W: Do you remember any songs that were rehearsed for the OES tour, but never actually performed?
asking the important questions!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1042 on: December 08, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
There were quite a few. It's so long ago I can't remember the exact songs.
That is one of the functions of rehearsing, especially with a new ensemble - to see what works and what doesn't.
10 to 12 weeks of rehearsal. Of course we ran songs that Mark decided not to work up to full gig ready, or after we did rehearse them extensively they were either dropped just before the first shows or soon afterwards.
I think we only played Portobello Belle a few times in the first weeks of the tour?

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1043 on: December 08, 2023, 02:21:04 PM »
Chris, did Mark ever mention why there won't be any more Tunnel Of Love in the set list?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1044 on: December 08, 2023, 02:27:40 PM »
I think we only played Portobello Belle a few times in the first weeks of the tour?

yes but it reappeared again in spring 92 at Grenoble APril 22th ... and maybe some others dates/venues ? I am not sure

https://www.oneverybootleg.nl/grenoble.htm

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1045 on: December 08, 2023, 03:21:19 PM »
Chris, did Mark ever mention why there won't be any more Tunnel Of Love in the set list?

BTW, just saying, but it would be nice to have a separate topic dedicated to questions for Chris as many will repeat, and it would make more sense.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1046 on: December 08, 2023, 06:50:08 PM »

It was never really dropped from the setlist.  It was always alternated with TR and last played in Barcelona 2nd October in the final week of the tour.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1047 on: December 08, 2023, 07:05:43 PM »

BTW, just saying, but it would be nice to have a separate topic dedicated to questions for Chris as many will repeat, and it would make more sense.

It's a good idea. This can be very inspiring  :)
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1048 on: December 08, 2023, 07:10:31 PM »

It was never really dropped from the setlist.  It was always alternated with TR and last played in Barcelona 2nd October in the final week of the tour.

It's true. I was thinking of MK's father who died in 1993. I don't know why I was thinking of 1992 and supposedly that had some significance.
Clear as the day

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #1049 on: December 08, 2023, 07:34:16 PM »
There were quite a few. It's so long ago I can't remember the exact songs.
That is one of the functions of rehearsing, especially with a new ensemble - to see what works and what doesn't.
10 to 12 weeks of rehearsal. Of course we ran songs that Mark decided not to work up to full gig ready, or after we did rehearse them extensively they were either dropped just before the first shows or soon afterwards.

Yeah, it's always been like that - the first couple of shows get a few one-offs (or thereabouts). Long Highway from Dublin was a nice one, same with the early OES version of Wild Theme. I totally understand if you don't remember any particular tunes.

The OES lineup would make some interesting versions of older songs, I bet.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 39 queries.