Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130393 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #825 on: November 10, 2023, 04:48:48 PM »
Regarding this absolutely ridiculous "Encores" reissue, rather than just putting everything in order on OTN, I was wondering: is there a money issue being it? Something like "You can a discount from the distributor if you reissue a disc that was already there"? Can somebody familiar with the industry enlight me?

The thing about this box is that it is a "live records box" the same way that the previous one was the "studio records box", with one big difference, they missed to include the Extended Dance Play ep in the studio box and they put nothing extra, and in this one, they put all the live DS records plus extras in both Alchemy, OTN and added a new live unreleased record.

It makes sense.
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #826 on: November 10, 2023, 04:55:37 PM »
"they missed to include the Extended Dance Play ep"

It's true but it's a pity.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #827 on: November 10, 2023, 06:37:26 PM »

Regarding this absolutely ridiculous "Encores" reissue, rather than just putting everything in order on OTN, I was wondering: is there a money issue being it? Something like "You can a discount from the distributor if you reissue a disc that was already there"? Can somebody familiar with the industry enlight me?

Agree, good question,  and it leads to a question I have in my mind for a coupe of days but hesitate to ask: Chris, do you get any share or financial percentage from this Box, as you are listed as a Musican in it?
[/quote]

You are joking.  :o
Most sidepersons in any band are paid a fee. It can be a per show fee, a weekly fee, or an agreed fee for the tour. My financial interest in Dire Straits ended at Zaragoza, 1992.
Mark and John no doubt own the recordings of the OES tour, so I doubt there is a financial issue with the encores. Maybe they did it like that because some people never bought the original encores CD. I got mine on Ebay a couple of years ago.
Regarding Mark maybe not consulting John and Guy on the releases. Usually the song writer has the most control in any band.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 06:54:55 PM by Chris W »

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #828 on: November 10, 2023, 06:47:09 PM »
Thank you for your fast and detailed reply. It's really great to have you here.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #829 on: November 10, 2023, 08:03:18 PM »
It's interesting there is a discusssion about the DS live album, and there is no Dire Straits discography on the forum.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #830 on: November 10, 2023, 09:30:12 PM »
The more I listen to TOL Rotterdam 92, the more I love it. It is not as good as Munich 91 I feel, but sjtill excellent.

When we say that for TOL the BIA is better... Hum... That may me be true for 1985, with the fantastic long intro and break with multiple musical quotes, but not of the shorter version of 1986 IMHO. Lots of people are fond of the short version of Sydney 86, but playing wise, tone wise, I find this TOL 92 much better. Even at least we have a touching intro and a break, unlike 1986.

Am I the only one to feel that way?

For me 1985 are unbeatable. It’s a victory lap of TOL. Would love to hear a pro recording from every tour. 1988 version with TW, EC and Pensa would be very interesting. Kind of mix between BIA and OES.

Agree.  The 1985 versions are just so sweet sounding.  No fast playing, allowing the song to breathe and the build up has Mark at his melodic best.  Added to that you have a beautiful intro and excerpts from other songs, all played on that lovely Schecter Sunburst.

The OES version has, like most songs on that tour, too many instruments playing on it.  When it comes to the solo, rather like the TR solo from that tour it's all about speed in the build up and when it comes to the famous part the energy's gone.  The Pensa also doesn't have anywhere near sufficient sustain for the main part of that solo and he has to add extra notes making it sound too "busy" for me personally.
Whatever it is, I just can't help but loving this TOL 92. Lesser than 85, ok, but greater than 86. Just lovely.

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #831 on: November 10, 2023, 09:52:44 PM »

A pity they didn't have the full Dortmund show to release, I would have loved to have those great versions of DTTWN, Lions and News on disc. Now we have the videos on the official YT channel, which is good, albeit in mono.

A real pity that it seems that no stereo recording of the great OL tour exists. Maybe they have Werchter soundboard in good quality somewhere, with Angel of Mercy? On the available bootlegs the quality is not good, even if it is a soundboard, News is out of tune, that ruins it...

The reason both the OGWT and the RockPop Dortmund shows were only mono is that both were broadcasted on TV, and TV was mono back then (stereo came very soon after if I remember correcty)  , so I would think that a stereo recording never existed of these.

I guess Werchter was also broadcasted on the radio which of course was stereo. Same with the German 'Rockpalast nights' then, mono on TV but with stereo simulcast radio (only true for the Saturday night life shows that were twice a year, the regular Sunday hour of Rockpalast  at 7pm every week was never in stereo so no chance of a DS stereo Rockpalast recording some day :( 
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #832 on: November 10, 2023, 09:58:09 PM »

A pity they didn't have the full Dortmund show to release, I would have loved to have those great versions of DTTWN, Lions and News on disc. Now we have the videos on the official YT channel, which is good, albeit in mono.

A real pity that it seems that no stereo recording of the great OL tour exists. Maybe they have Werchter soundboard in good quality somewhere, with Angel of Mercy? On the available bootlegs the quality is not good, even if it is a soundboard, News is out of tune, that ruins it...

The reason both the OGWT and the RockPop Dortmund shows were only mono is that both were broadcasted on TV, and TV was mono back then (stereo came very soon after if I remember correcty)  , so I would think that a stereo recording never existed of these.

I guess Werchter was also broadcasted on the radio which of course was stereo. Same with the German 'Rockpalast nights' then, mono on TV but with stereo simulcast radio (only true for the Saturday night life shows that were twice a year, the regular Sunday hour of Rockpalast  at 7pm every week was never in stereo so no chance of a DS stereo Rockpalast recording some day :(
Stereo on TV came with the NICAM standard in 1986, but stereo broadcasts were not commonplace until the 90s.

You mean the official releases of DS Rockpalast (the one on ZDF channel web site and the "Cologne" CD that is endorsed by DS official YT channel) are mono only? They sound stereo to me, maybe they went through some spacialization effect?

As for stereo radio broadcasts of the OL tour, we have the very incomplete Werchter, and the sound is atrocious for a sounboard, out of tune most of the time :(

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #833 on: November 10, 2023, 10:30:25 PM »

[/quote]The OES version has, like most songs on that tour, too many instruments playing on it.  When it comes to the solo, rather like the TR solo from that tour it's all about speed in the build up and when it comes to the famous part the energy's gone.  The Pensa also doesn't have anywhere near sufficient sustain for the main part of that solo and he has to add extra notes making it sound too "busy" for me personally.
[/quote]

I have the same point of view about TOL on the OES tour, what is strongest about these versions is the great nostalgia that invades me, I like it, but I'm between the versions from 1982, the beginning of the LOG tour, the band used elements from the Local track Hero in the introduction, something very atmospheric, takes me to paradise, and the powerful versions of the BIA tour, without a doubt, the peak of this song
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineJKMark

• Guitar George
« Reply #834 on: November 10, 2023, 10:35:31 PM »
The more I listen to TOL Rotterdam 92, the more I love it. It is not as good as Munich 91 I feel, but sjtill excellent.

When we say that for TOL the BIA is better... Hum... That may me be true for 1985, with the fantastic long intro and break with multiple musical quotes, but not of the shorter version of 1986 IMHO. Lots of people are fond of the short version of Sydney 86, but playing wise, tone wise, I find this TOL 92 much better. Even at least we have a touching intro and a break, unlike 1986.

Am I the only one to feel that way?

For me 1985 are unbeatable. It’s a victory lap of TOL. Would love to hear a pro recording from every tour. 1988 version with TW, EC and Pensa would be very interesting. Kind of mix between BIA and OES.

Agree.  The 1985 versions are just so sweet sounding.  No fast playing, allowing the song to breathe and the build up has Mark at his melodic best.  Added to that you have a beautiful intro and excerpts from other songs, all played on that lovely Schecter Sunburst.

The OES version has, like most songs on that tour, too many instruments playing on it.  When it comes to the solo, rather like the TR solo from that tour it's all about speed in the build up and when it comes to the famous part the energy's gone.  The Pensa also doesn't have anywhere near sufficient sustain for the main part of that solo and he has to add extra notes making it sound too "busy" for me personally.
Whatever it is, I just can't help but loving this TOL 92. Lesser than 85, ok, but greater than 86. Just lovely.

Lovely with no doubt. Beautiful performance with kind of nostalgia mentioned before.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #835 on: November 10, 2023, 10:36:32 PM »
Do these deep analyzes also apply to MK? I'm very impressed.
Yes, one thing naturally leads me to another, I follow MK's solo career and as an observer and detail-oriented, nothing escapes me in the master's work, whether with DS or solo. I'm glad you liked it, thank you!

As a DS and MK get-a-lifer, I must admit that all these analysis are something I love and that I would like to have in the form of a book.

Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to accomplish this feat, I already have incentives, I would need to take a moment to organize my ideas and gather material I already have and produce others. I'm flattered, coming from one of the greatest connoisseurs of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler's work. Gratitude!!  :wave

OfflineJKMark

• Guitar George
« Reply #836 on: November 10, 2023, 10:38:55 PM »

[/quote]

I have the same point of view about TOL on the OES tour, what is strongest about these versions is the great nostalgia that invades me, I like it, but I'm between the versions from 1982, the beginning of the LOG tour, the band used elements from the Local track Hero in the introduction, something very atmospheric, takes me to paradise, and the powerful versions of the BIA tour, without a doubt, the peak of this song
[/quote]

Thanks, I will listen to early LOG versions, can’t remember how they played it then.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #837 on: November 10, 2023, 10:39:28 PM »
Do these deep analyzes also apply to MK? I'm very impressed.
Yes, one thing naturally leads me to another, I follow MK's solo career and as an observer and detail-oriented, nothing escapes me in the master's work, whether with DS or solo. I'm glad you liked it, thank you!

As a DS and MK get-a-lifer, I must admit that all these analysis are something I love and that I would like to have in the form of a book.

Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to accomplish this feat, I already have incentives, I would need to take a moment to organize my ideas and gather material I already have and produce others. I'm flattered, coming from one of the greatest connoisseurs of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler's work. Gratitude!!  :wave
BTW, I saw on YT that you have found a more complete video of Paris 18.06.1981, with more songs! The sound is still atrocious though :) and some transitions between the songs have been removed (between EL and DTTW and between DTTW and Lions). It's written "INA" all over it, but I can't find it one the INA site. Where did you get it from?

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #838 on: November 10, 2023, 10:51:02 PM »

[/quote]

Thanks, I will listen to early LOG versions, can’t remember how they played it then.
[/quote]

You need to check out a special I did about the LOG tour 82/83 on my Instagram account, it was last month, it had a good response, some members of Dire Straits like Alan Clark, Hal Lindes, Terry William and Joop commented on my Facebook (the posts were simultaneously on my Facebook). In one of the topics I addressed this detail that occurred at a certain moment during the introduction of TOL live in 1982, something unique and of great beauty, exclusive to that period.

Here is part 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxehUbkuJdSFj6x3Fft57vgh9YE1epoCZmQ5eg0/?igshid=MXh4bzY5N3hheGRlZg==

Anyone interested in diving into this journey a little just look for @direstraitsuniverse  :wave

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #839 on: November 10, 2023, 10:57:22 PM »
Here is my comment on this detail from Tunnel Of Love live at the beginning of the LOG tour in 1982.

Check out this little-known experience!
https://youtu.be/qEE6HvLAc_8?si=TMu3ts3lUXHomkkJ

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.