Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130405 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #810 on: November 10, 2023, 03:08:06 AM »
Just reporting, I just realized that MFN present in On The Night was always the version on 05/31/92 Rotterdam,and Wild Theme on OTN is precisely in Feyenoord, Rotterdam HOL 30.05.92. I just compared it, I will do this little by little with the other songs!

Ok. Do you find time to just listen and enjoy it occasionally?

LE

Let's say that the curiosity to understand what is happening moves me!

The amount of work you put into these investigations seems immense! Very good effort and fans and fanbase in the future will be thankful. So kudos to you!

LE

Thank you very much for the recognition, my dear, my academic background is a degree in History, so, in this case, I combine my passion for the band and the commitment to preserving the historical value of Dire Straits' work, for the benefit of the band's memory, I do it for love, from fan to fan like many here do.

With your love of DS I assumed your background was in palaeontology. :)

Hahahahah,That was a good one, Dusty!  ;D
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #811 on: November 10, 2023, 03:09:49 AM »
Do these deep analyzes also apply to MK? I'm very impressed.
Yes, one thing naturally leads me to another, I follow MK's solo career and as an observer and detail-oriented, nothing escapes me in the master's work, whether with DS or solo. I'm glad you liked it, thank you!

:thumbsup Great! :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #812 on: November 10, 2023, 07:34:14 AM »
Do these deep analyzes also apply to MK? I'm very impressed.
Yes, one thing naturally leads me to another, I follow MK's solo career and as an observer and detail-oriented, nothing escapes me in the master's work, whether with DS or solo. I'm glad you liked it, thank you!

As a DS and MK get-a-lifer, I must admit that all these analysis are something I love and that I would like to have in the form of a book.
So Long

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2023, 09:53:54 AM »
Regarding the labelling mistake on the Live at the BBC album (TOL labelled as Old Grey Whistle Test on 31/01/1981 rather than Dortumd 19/12/1980), it is worth noting that the label is not completely untrue.

Indeed, on BBC2 on 31/01/1981, the OGWT show focused on the Dortmund Rockpop event:

http://www.tvpopdiaries.co.uk/1981.html

BBC2 Old Grey Whistle Test 12.00 - 12.40 am
Dire Straits (Rock Pop, Dortmund)
Talking Heads (Rock Pop, Dortmund)

The show is not available, but we can safely assumed that with 40 minutes to share between DS, Talking Head and the chatting of the show, no way the full DS show could be shown, and that only TOL was.

In 1995 when they made the album, they just found the master tape of the OGWT show, and they didn't look further, that's the way they labelled TOL.

A pity they didn't have the full Dortmund show to release, I would have loved to have those great versions of DTTWN, Lions and News on disc. Now we have the videos on the official YT channel, which is good, albeit in mono.

A real pity that it seems that no stereo recording of the great OL tour exists. Maybe they have Werchter soundboard in good quality somewhere, with Angel of Mercy? On the available bootlegs the quality is not good, even if it is a soundboard, News is out of tune, that ruins it...

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2023, 10:06:41 AM »
Qobuz (my chosen high res streaming service) has just published its charts for the last week. Predictably the new Beatles single is at number one - but I think you can guess what's number two.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #815 on: November 10, 2023, 10:10:05 AM »
Qobuz (my chosen high res streaming service) has just published its charts for the last week. Predictably the new Beatles single is at number one - but I think you can guess what's number two.

Taylor Swift?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJKMark

• Guitar George
« Reply #816 on: November 10, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »
Hi everyone! It’s probably my first post but I’ve been familiar with this board since very long time. I’m Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler listener, of course. Music enthusiast. I thought I could write something. At least we have such occasion! DS live box. I think most of things were said already. I don’t want to repeat most of them. In general it’s a step forward and in a good direction. I didn’t listen to whole material but yes - I love what I listened to already. Rainbow is a treat. The rest is very good.

What’s really interesting is fact that they could run archival project. It’s still market for such work. Only digital download but they could make cds available also. Bruce Springsteen started similar project in 2014 and it’s still ongoing. 100+ shows to get, mostly in very good quality.

Imagine we have dedicated website with downloadable content. Every DS and MK tour covered by several recordings. They have enough material to run such thing in years.

If newest box was check the market out, please move step forward, it’s time. Complete recordings from every possible tour, let’s start with OL or BIA. Or 23.07.1983 in its entirety ;) It’s time to do this. One show per month? See how it goes for other musicians and it works very well.

They could also take better care of Youtube channel which is messy now. I mean, hey, it’s good when things happen but it has to be done carefully and professionally, right? :)

Thank you all for support this board and let’s vault to be open!!!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:33:23 AM by JKMark »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #817 on: November 10, 2023, 11:26:19 AM »
The more I listen to TOL Rotterdam 92, the more I love it. It is not as good as Munich 91 I feel, but sjtill excellent.

When we say that for TOL the BIA is better... Hum... That may me be true for 1985, with the fantastic long intro and break with multiple musical quotes, but not of the shorter version of 1986 IMHO. Lots of people are fond of the short version of Sydney 86, but playing wise, tone wise, I find this TOL 92 much better. Even at least we have a touching intro and a break, unlike 1986.

Am I the only one to feel that way?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #818 on: November 10, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
The more I listen to TOL Rotterdam 92, the more I love it. It is not as good as Munich 91 I feel, but sjtill excellent.

When we say that for TOL the BIA is better... Hum... That may me be true for 1985, with the fantastic long intro and break with multiple musical quotes, but not of the shorter version of 1986 IMHO. Lots of people are fond of the short version of Sydney 86, but playing wise, tone wise, I find this TOL 92 much better. Even at least we have a touching intro and a break, unlike 1986.

Soundquality makes it superior IMO.. and that it's been recorded in my favourite football stadum makes it even better  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJKMark

• Guitar George
« Reply #819 on: November 10, 2023, 11:40:34 AM »

For me 1985 are unbeatable. It’s a victory lap of TOL. Would love to hear a pro recording from every tour. 1988 version with TW, EC and Pensa would be very interesting. Kind of mix between BIA and OES.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #820 on: November 10, 2023, 12:27:55 PM »

My favorite has been always the one from the LOG tour, coming from the long musical ouutro of Portobello. Also the BIA tour was pretty awesome with the musical interlude, the version from the OES tour is OK, great as TOL has to be, but it lacks the magic from the previous tours.

For me 1985 are unbeatable. It’s a victory lap of TOL. Would love to hear a pro recording from every tour. 1988 version with TW, EC and Pensa would be very interesting. Kind of mix between BIA and OES.
So Long

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #821 on: November 10, 2023, 12:58:30 PM »

Agree.  The 1985 versions are just so sweet sounding.  No fast playing, allowing the song to breathe and the build up has Mark at his melodic best.  Added to that you have a beautiful intro and excerpts from other songs, all played on that lovely Schecter Sunburst.

The OES version has, like most songs on that tour, too many instruments playing on it.  When it comes to the solo, rather like the TR solo from that tour it's all about speed in the build up and when it comes to the famous part the energy's gone.  The Pensa also doesn't have anywhere near sufficient sustain for the main part of that solo and he has to add extra notes making it sound too "busy" for me personally. 
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #822 on: November 10, 2023, 01:27:58 PM »
Regarding this absolutely ridiculous "Encores" reissue, rather than just putting everything in order on OTN, I was wondering: is there a money issue being it? Something like "You can a discount from the distributor if you reissue a disc that was already there"? Can somebody familiar with the industry enlight me?

Onlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #823 on: November 10, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »
Hi everyone! It’s probably my first post but I’ve been familiar with this board since very long time. I’m Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler listener, of course. Music enthusiast. I thought I could write something. At least we have such occasion! DS live box. I think most of things were said already. I don’t want to repeat most of them. In general it’s a step forward and in a good direction. I didn’t listen to whole material but yes - I love what I listened to already. Rainbow is a treat. The rest is very good.

What’s really interesting is fact that they could run archival project. It’s still market for such work. Only digital download but they could make cds available also. Bruce Springsteen started similar project in 2014 and it’s still ongoing. 100+ shows to get, mostly in very good quality.

Imagine we have dedicated website with downloadable content. Every DS and MK tour covered by several recordings. They have enough material to run such thing in years.

If newest box was check the market out, please move step forward, it’s time. Complete recordings from every possible tour, let’s start with OL or BIA. Or 23.07.1983 in its entirety ;) It’s time to do this. One show per month? See how it goes for other musicians and it works very well.

They could also take better care of Youtube channel which is messy now. I mean, hey, it’s good when things happen but it has to be done carefully and professionally, right? :)

Thank you all for support this board and let’s vault to be open!!!

I can assure that there some of what you say has been discused but everything ends in a firewall called MK, throught his management.

Actually we're very lucky to have this lot of unreleased material in this box considering usual answer from MK was no to everything, I guess he's now allowing John and Guy to have a say.

Yes, and I think there is more to come. I tend to think that Mark is maybe now considering new releases of older live recordings could be "second best" to the fans, now that he no longer desires to do any new live concerts. Makes perfect sense to think "OK, I am no longer capable to do live concerts or have the desire to do so, but I have tons of recordings that fans would want, and I have Guy who I trust to do a super job". So why not.   

Cheers Peter

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #824 on: November 10, 2023, 03:20:10 PM »
Regarding this absolutely ridiculous "Encores" reissue, rather than just putting everything in order on OTN, I was wondering: is there a money issue being it? Something like "You can a discount from the distributor if you reissue a disc that was already there"? Can somebody familiar with the industry enlight me?

Agree, good question,  and it leads to a question I have in my mind for a coupe of days but hesitate to ask: Chris, do you get any share or financial percentage from this Box, as you are listed as a Musican in it? Please note that I don't ask "how much" but only "if". It's generally somerhing I was always interested in, how and if Musos participate from Album releases and re-releases.

LE

I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.