Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130415 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #705 on: November 06, 2023, 01:50:22 PM »
TOL as an OTN bonus is surprisingly good, I didn't expect it to be so good.
The only thing that ruins it for me is the backing vocals on the chorus, "tunnel of loooo-ooooo-oooo-ve".

They started singing it like that on the BIA tour if I'm not mistaken, and I really don't like it.
It really takes me out of the song which I prefer more rock oriented and raw, like on MM and on Alchemy which remains my favorite version by far.

Tunnel of Love is much more powerful when sung by MK alone imo.

Does any void need to be filled with more and more layers of sustained notes, be they be played by a sax, a pedal Steel or even backing vocals ? It softens an already very laid back music.

Clearly I do not share MK's tastes as far as arrangements and production are concerned.
It just doesn't sound good to my ears.

The final solo is great though, the drums and the whole band are great too on this OTN version. Too bad for the backing vocals.

I keep thinking there were way too many musicians on stage on that tour...
Yes, indeed this TOL is very good, although I don't find it as good as Munich'91, that has some unique fast licks in the end solo that give me goosebumps....

Most people prefer BIA tour versions to OES versions. I think that I do too, '85 versions have everything, le long intro, the break with musical quotes, and a killer end solo... But I can't help loving these romantic OES versions too !

Regarding Alchemy vs. BIA tour, yes the backing vocals of the latter are cheesy, but... I love cheese  :) They are too much, but I can't help loving it. Also, the BIA tour versions have a longer, more elaborated end solo than Alchemy. Both are lovely, but I confess a preference for the bad-ass '85 version. TOL really shone that year !

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #706 on: November 06, 2023, 01:59:04 PM »
Nice to have you back LE :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #707 on: November 06, 2023, 02:30:09 PM »

I am very pleased with this box, but there are some things that I wished had been done in another way, which is a matter of personal taste, and which does not infect the joy I got from this release.

The Rainbow Show is absolutey awesome, an absolute gem, I love it from the first minute to the last. Maybe because I never was too much into bootlegs, I am stunned by the versions of Portobello Belle, Lions, Southbound Again, Six Blade Knife. Also the historical dimension, the last show in the original line-up, is worth it. This show would have been worth a separate release on it's own and it still would have been justified. I am sure it will be received very well and the Box will reach very good sales because of this show alone. It is also great to hear the band play those last few rock'n roll tracks, they really sound so tight and absolutely energetic, Pick totally stands out, fantastic occasion to hear these tracks in a phantastic quality!

Speaking of bootlegs, sometimes I pity many of you for knowing TOO much. I have the feeling that you can't enjoy music anymore as you always start to compare with all the thousand versions you have in your head. Also the nitpicking about recordings, sound, drums, mix, track lengths, missing Thank you's and all that are only spoiling the fun from my point of view. After reading this thread, I expected to listen to a total crap amateurish recording, but the whole box sounds so crystal clear that it made be literally dream back to the times I became a fan and it gave me chills and I remembered very concrete concert moments from 1991 and 1992, much more than all the MK download shows could possibly ever do, even when I had been at the shows. Dire Straits Live and MK Live is a difference as Day and Night.  Tunnel of Love is really epic, what a piece of music, I totally understand that he skipped it and never played it again solo as it is the high point of Dire Straits live performance. The meaning it must have had for him personally made it his best archievment.
Guy gave the band great justice, it sounds so fresh and finally Dire Straits Live get the treatment they really deserve. This Box is something I want to spread, I want to give to anybody to listen to, something that I had not felt with any MK solo album anymore since Shangri-La 2004.

There are two things that I wished Guy had found another solution, though. All new tracks on On The Night I love very much – Sultans, sounds great, Tunnel of Love and Telegraph Road, having both is phantastic, and I am addicted to these tracks already.  When It Comes to You, Two Young Lovers, all sounding very nice and fully satisfying. BUT: As you might remember,  the original release had to be a single Album as Mark felt it was too close to the Alchemy double album, so they made a single album, but left space in the CD case for the Encore CD. The Encores are no encores in the literal sense, The Bug and Your Latest Trick were standard set list songs. So the term „Encore“ meant more the physical thing as an addition instead of the real „encores“.

As they made it an double CD now, they could have put the original set list order on it, it was a two hour show, so every CD could have had space for another 15 minutes, like Tunnel AND Telegraph.   The new songs that only had been played occasionally like Fade to Black or I Think I Love You Too Much, would have justified a new concept of Bonus CD, f.e. On „Another“ Night, if you like. So now it is the full show but not in the right order, which is a pity. The „Encore“ CD has no special value in this box is what I want to say here. The set list of the OES tour was working very well and f.e. The Bug was at a perfect place, also Going Home as the final track would have made the new double CD much better, more complete in the artistic meaning of the word.

Also the Live At The BBC show is not a valuable addition, the Mono/Stereo argument for Tunnel of Love is not enough, as that track always felt not right on that album anyway which was called Live At The BBC and not Live in whatever. I never understood why they attached it to the show.

Alchemy is great and more complete now, I can't agree to the Portobello Belle „desaster“ argumeas I never liked that version anyway, so I am happy it was shortened. Folks should listen to the Portobello Belle from Rainbow more which is superior to the Alchemy version in my opinion.

The lack of a 1985/1986 show can only mean that we get a Brothers In Arms Jubilee Box in 2025, it must be, it would be insane to leave something from that era out and put Live At The BBC into it instead.

So, that are my thoughts. I have to tell you that I got my box at the German Media Markt for 18,99 € which I am sure was a mistake by them. (I even said at the counter „wow, that's very cheap, isn't it, and the girl only said, well yes, CDs are not that expensive anymore...“ So I think it was just karma.)

I love this Box, and I hope it opens new ways of release politics. So 2024 will see a new MK album, no tour, 2025 the BIA Box, totally plausible to me. That box hopefully contains the Wembley 1985 show both audio and Blu-Ray. It seems the end of Mark Knopflers solo career finally opens the doors for long awaited gems from the vault.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #708 on: November 06, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »
Very interesting LE, thanks for sharing.

I do agree on most points, except on one, Portbolello Belle. I think the 1983 version is highly emotional, I like it better than the 1979 one (altough it is quite wonderful too).

Agreed about the BIA tour, I would add that we don't talk enough about the OL tour, also missing. News, Lions, WDTYYG, DTTW, Anger of Mercy, and the first TR ever would be a gem to have on sounboard ! Paris 17/06/1981 comes to mind...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #709 on: November 06, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »
Posts like these are why we've missed you.  Welcome back LE.  :wave
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #710 on: November 06, 2023, 03:56:14 PM »
Very interesting LE, thanks for sharing.

I do agree on most points, except on one, Portbolello Belle. I think the 1983 version is highly emotional, I like it better than the 1979 one (altough it is quite wonderful too).

Agreed about the BIA tour, I would add that we don't talk enough about the OL tour, also missing. News, Lions, WDTYYG, DTTW, Anger of Mercy, and the first TR ever would be a gem to have on sounboard ! Paris 17/06/1981 comes to mind...
Man, I would love to have a 1981 version of Where Do You Think You're Going, with those synths and the middle solo

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #711 on: November 06, 2023, 04:16:46 PM »
From my memory, we never played Tunnel and Telegraph in the same show. I agree though, Going Home should always be the last track.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #712 on: November 06, 2023, 05:12:56 PM »
That’s the reason I made this On the night playlist with The Bug on the right spot and closing with Solid Rock and Wild Theme

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2tm39k7kQ7Z7wzZEuLqYCe?si=RXoGp2hpSTqoXRLxWRPzBA
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 05:17:04 PM by Marnix »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #713 on: November 06, 2023, 05:41:44 PM »
That’s the reason I made this On the night playlist with The Bug on the right spot and closing with Solid Rock and Wild Theme

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2tm39k7kQ7Z7wzZEuLqYCe?si=RXoGp2hpSTqoXRLxWRPzBA

Haha, I did the same last friday  ;D But the transitions of the songs don't work smoothly. But that's alright for me
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #714 on: November 06, 2023, 05:53:10 PM »

Haha, I did the same last friday  ;D But the transitions of the songs don't work smoothly. But that's alright for me

That’s true but like this it’s the most complete we will get

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #715 on: November 06, 2023, 06:31:04 PM »
From my memory, we never played Tunnel and Telegraph in the same show. I agree though, Going Home should always be the last track.

I am aware of that, but of course now that we have both, I would never vote for either one or the other. :lol What I meant was that the lengths of a Double  CD 2x75min would allow the full 120 min OES standard set plus some alternative tracks. But I am very happy with what we got already.

Great to have you here by the way. I love (and highly recommend) your YouTube channel.

LE

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #716 on: November 06, 2023, 06:55:10 PM »
I saw you live three times on that tour, Bremen 1991, Munich 1st night 1991, and again Bremen Open Air 1992. So I have had both songs live. Unforgettable memories. I loved your approach on Sultans at the early weeks of the tour. I always wondered if Chad Cromwell copied you on the Night in London show. Are you aware of Mark's early solo stuff with Chad Cromwell on drums?

LE

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #717 on: November 06, 2023, 07:06:26 PM »
Also the Live At The BBC show is not a valuable addition, the Mono/Stereo argument for Tunnel of Love is not enough, as that track always felt not right on that album anyway which was called Live At The BBC and not Live in whatever. I never understood why they attached it to the show.

I couldn't agree more about the inclusion of Tunnel of Love on Live At The BBC, I have never understood why it was on that release. I like the rest of that album a lot but I only ever play it up to What's The Matter Baby because the last song feel so tacked on. I love the song and there's nothing wrong with the performance as such, but it represents a different era musically and is jarringly out of place with the other songs, which capture the essence of the 'stripped back four piece' band from the first few years.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #718 on: November 06, 2023, 07:15:00 PM »
There's something wrong with the sound of Industrial Disease. Maybe that was the reason this song wasn't in the first version of Alchemy. But it's good that it is there:)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 07:19:03 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #719 on: November 06, 2023, 08:27:12 PM »
Like all of you I have been busy with this box for these days, I don't know how many times I have listened to it, I don't know how many times I have leafed through the booklet, in short I am really happy that it has come out and that something like this was only in the hopes of each of us, I thought the record company and management had closed the subject of dire straits forever. I also read everything that was written here obviously, and apart from a few complaints here and there we all say we were pleasantly surprised and happy with something particular, but we all agreed on the fact that they were really great. Mark was,is and will always be my and your favorite artist, the truly special one. Everyone will have to add some preference over another, or it can be said that it could and should have been done better, but when I review the titles of the songs, I must say that for the most part they are pure gold, diamonds beyond all worth
Thanks very much Dire Straits

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.