Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130502 times)

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #630 on: November 03, 2023, 07:00:51 PM »
Chris, do you remember the concert in Basel?

Vividly. Also because it has been on Youtube for years. I remember being completely relaxed about playing a demanding 2+ hour show for live TV.
I think we had some ups and downs at the beginning of the tour, then especially North America (Jan/Feb/March 92) and by the time we hit Europe again we were battle hardened and slick.

I am very curious, what were the hardest songs to play from the repertorie? Like being somehow unconfident about failing playing it.

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #631 on: November 03, 2023, 07:08:38 PM »
Isn't it beautiful? Chris Whitten - DS drummer talks with fans :) Chris, do you remember the concert in Basel? Very important for many fans because it was broadcast to many countries.

I have my box!!!

Thanks Chris for everything you tell us, a great pleasure!!

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #632 on: November 03, 2023, 07:09:06 PM »
I was one to criticize the mix itself and the drum sound. Now I love the drumming on the OES tour, my favourite of all the tours. But the new songs really should have more punch and energy just like on the record and correct for the era. It’s not Chris’s fault, in my opinion he’s a great drummer and the best live drummer for DS (again my opinion). Just look at any live video from the tour, he’s just beating them drums so hard :D THAT should translate on the live box.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #633 on: November 03, 2023, 07:42:57 PM »
but the classic DS songs, most of them played during different eras by Pick Withers and Terry Williams, seems to be that you felt quite or uncomfortable or less confident than with the rest. Am I right with this impression?

The other thing people forget that just prior to the On Every Street tour I had worked with Paul McCartney for three years, including a highly acclaimed world tour. His music spanned a far longer period than Dire Straits. We played 50's Rock n Roll in the show, a bunch of Beatles songs and the post Beatles repertoire from early 70's Wings to his latest album (1989). Many of The Beatles songs had never been played live before, and I really wanted to be true to Ringo if I could. Paul, by the way, gave me free reign to do as I wish.
So I would never be unsure or unconfident playing a major show.
We rehearsed with Mark for 3 months? Everything we played was worked out in detail, with Mark, Guy and Allan all acting as musical directors.
As I've said before, when we set up on the stage the first time, Mark said he couldn't feel the energy from my drums, so he had me play louder and louder and when I was pretty much at max volume he asked me to play at that intensity from then on.
Slamming the drums didn't really lend itself to the more sensitive Pick performances. Terry was a louder rock drummer, but in a later interview John said I was the loudest drummer they had ever played with - which was not MY choice.

Actually I love the Tripping Live Fantastic cd. It's absolutely great.

So I'm under the impression that you were very proffesional but you weren't playing like you like to play or the way you like to play. Isn't it?

Thanks for coming back!
So Long

OfflineBeryl

• Guitar George
« Reply #634 on: November 03, 2023, 11:04:01 PM »
Thanks, Chris. You're great in the new stuff we're hearing. A new thing I noticed from the unreleased OTN songs is that Alan's playing might got into a bit of a technical slump after those Clapton tours. You can hear it in almost all the fast details (listen to the extremely messy outro from TOL and especially when he skips completely that wonderful line on  'life was just a bet on a race between the lights' from TR). I haven't seen Alan on those scary Dire Straits Legacy shows but now I wonder if he plays that stuff nowadays.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #635 on: November 04, 2023, 10:08:19 AM »

So I'm under the impression that you were very proffesional but you weren't playing like you like to play or the way you like to play. Isn't it?

I am curious why this has to keep coming up.
I am proud of my performances with Dire Straits. To be honest - and I said this to John at the time - it was a LOT more pressure playing Beatles songs that had never been played live before, in front of an LA crowd containing Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. We actually played bigger shows with Paul than Dire Straits - two night at NY Giants Stadium, the Maracana in Rio (100,000 plus each night).
The only thing hampering me with DS was that the music was more scripted. I was expected to play that tom at that exact moment etc... And the fact Mark decided just before the first show that I should play harder than I expected to play.
I adjusted and I've only ever seen a minority of fans ever think the drumming was somehow lacking. It was different. I don't play like Pick and I don't play like Terry. Terry was long gone (like years) before I was even approached. I was never asked to play like Terry or Pick. In fact I think I was hired because my style was more like the drummers they had invited to play on BIA and OES.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »
Totally understand that Chris.
Thanks for showing up here and giving us some insight.
Very appreciated
Love will find a Way

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #637 on: November 04, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »
^^ Thanks ^^

Last thing....
It's unfortunate when a band's style changes so much. I guess evolution has to occur or the artist/band becomes stale.
I can't imagine Pick playing on Money For Nothing.
My 'audition' for Mark and John took place at Air Studios while they were mixing OES. They had me re-record songs like 'Calling Elvis' and 'Heavy Fuel'.
As they had already asked Jeff P and Manu K to join them on tour, I perceived they were looking for a drummer in that style to translate the songs from OES to the live stage. BIA as an album and tour was a global phenomenon, so in my mind they actually wanted the drums to be in the same vein as Hakim, Katche and Porcaro. They had parted company with Terry, also not using him on the BIA album, so to me it was not imperative to try and emulate his playing style.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #638 on: November 04, 2023, 10:53:06 AM »
Hi Chris, it's wonderful to have you here, we're not taking it for granted. Man, I cringe every time you mention Mark pushing you to play as hard as possible on the On Every Street tour, I think it's unacceptable. Especially since Mark himself got in trouble for playing too hard on the guitar with some wrist pain and whatnot. Not only does it stiffen your hands, but translates into music as well. Music is supposed to be relaxed and fun. Have you ever tried to explain to Mark it's not a good idea to play in maximum mode?

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #639 on: November 04, 2023, 11:08:26 AM »
No, I could have - should have. I was kind of in shock.
A lot of times you have a boss and feel like an employee. I was just trying to give Mark what he needed to perform well.
It was an odd situation because I was dropped into an established set up. The core of the band had played through the entire BIA tour. In the rehearsals most people (except me, Paul F and Danny C) knew the intricacies of the songs - even Phil Palmer had played rhythm with Mark at several charity events before.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #640 on: November 04, 2023, 11:14:28 AM »
Chris,

how do comment on Mark's further Drummer's Choice in his solo career. If I may ask you that as a Drum Master?
After you there were Chad Cromwell, Danny Cummings and now Ian Thomas.
Can you give us some of your ideas how well they fitted in his music? What you think about them ?
Love will find a Way

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #641 on: November 04, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
I haven't followed the timeline, other than the very occasional Youtube video.

Offlineshortfin

• Local Hero
« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2023, 12:54:18 PM »
Oh my God! I open the Forum to read comments on the boxset that I have not bought or listened to yet and I find two pages of insights from Chris Whitten!
Thank you so much Chris, now we love you for that too and not just for the music you gave us!
www.direstraitsbootlegs.it
I was there: *Dire Straits: Ferrara, 6.7.1983 *Mark Knopfler: Pesaro, 7.6.2008 / Firenze, 11.11.2011 / Piazzola sul Brenta, 12.7.2013 / Milano, 28.5.2015 / Cattolica 18.07.2019 / Verona 22.07.2019

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #643 on: November 04, 2023, 01:05:55 PM »
Oh my God! I open the Forum to read comments on the boxset that I have not bought or listened to yet and I find two pages of insights from Chris Whitten!
Thank you so much Chris, now we love you for that too and not just for the music you gave us!

Indeed! Great to read Chris’ comments, fantastic!

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2023, 01:38:02 PM »
I listened to CD 2 of the On The Night era. The drums are quite low in the mix. It's not that they aren't powerful or punchy, just that they are mixed lower I think. Most of the time I'm hearing snare and toms, not much bass drum or hi-hat. Except MFN which seems to have a different mix.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.