Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130501 times)

OnlineMarnix

• Camerado
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #600 on: November 03, 2023, 12:24:25 PM »
Aaaaah! The delivery guy stopped at my front door, didn’t step out, drove away! So it will be Monday I get my box set. Now I have to keep using spotify…

No delivery on Saturday?

OnlineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #601 on: November 03, 2023, 12:36:26 PM »
First impression on the new On The Night makes me really happy!!
The extra tracks are really great to here. Great versions of When it comes to you and Fade to Black!!
Because I was in Rotterdam TOL and ITILTM are  special to me to hear them after all these years in pristine quality.
If "The Bug",  "Solid Rock" and "Local Hero" were put in the right order of the set and were mixed as part of the album it was a perfect souvenir of the OES tour in my opinion and I forgive them that they left out again the into from MFN

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #602 on: November 03, 2023, 01:01:55 PM »
Aaaaah! The delivery guy stopped at my front door, didn’t step out, drove away! So it will be Monday I get my box set. Now I have to keep using spotify…

No delivery on Saturday?

Well, pick up is possible if you’re in time. Despite the fact that I select the most ideal pick up point, they tend to bring it to the one which immediately closes after receiving it. :clap

Anyway, listening to spotify for now. Figuring out which tracks are my favorite! :lol

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #603 on: November 03, 2023, 01:49:24 PM »

No delivery on Saturday?

Well, pick up is possible if you’re in time. Despite the fact that I select the most ideal pick up point, they tend to bring it to the one which immediately closes after receiving it. :clap

Anyway, listening to spotify for now. Figuring out which tracks are my favorite! :lol

Bonaparte isn't on this box  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #604 on: November 03, 2023, 02:06:23 PM »
You guys..... ???
Phil Palmer's second solo on ITILYTM does not contain a 'major error', he plays one note slightly out of scale, which I personally don't mind, then on the following run down there is a slightly scuffed note - which happens when you are improvising.
Some people want musicians to take risks, go for it, other people aren't happy unless every show is note for note perfect.
The drum sound (at least on the same song) is not 'crap'. Personally I think the kick and toms sound fantastic. The snare is too thin and high pitched, which was how it ended up on the tour because the stage volume was so loud I couldn't hear my snare at lower tunings. I regret that I didn't try and stick with a better, lower tuning, which would have fitted the material better. I am sure that Neil Dorfsman added a lower tuned snare sample to my snare when he mixed the original OTN record.
The beginning of MFN is a waste of time unless you were in the audience at the show. Mark teases the guitar riff (as you know) and the audience goes crazy for 5 minutes or so. Absolutely nothing lost by editing the false start from this reissue.
My CD box set (which I bought off Amazon) arrives this afternoon.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #605 on: November 03, 2023, 02:20:36 PM »
You guys..... ???
Phil Palmer's second solo on ITILYTM does not contain a 'major error', he plays one note slightly out of scale, which I personally don't mind, then on the following run down there is a slightly scuffed note - which happens when you are improvising.
Some people want musicians to take risks, go for it, other people aren't happy unless every show is note for note perfect.
The drum sound (at least on the same song) is not 'crap'. Personally I think the kick and toms sound fantastic. The snare is too thin and high pitched, which was how it ended up on the tour because the stage volume was so loud I couldn't hear my snare at lower tunings. I regret that I didn't try and stick with a better, lower tuning, which would have fitted the material better. I am sure that Neil Dorfsman added a lower tuned snare sample to my snare when he mixed the original OTN record.
The beginning of MFN is a waste of time unless you were in the audience at the show. Mark teases the guitar riff (as you know) and the audience goes crazy for 5 minutes or so. Absolutely nothing lost by editing the false start from this reissue.

Thanks Chris, I've always wondered about that and think its the source of many peoples often unwarranted criticism of your drumming on OES compared to earlier eras. Its also often 'Not what people are used to' so they take an instant dislike to it.

Lovely to be able to interact with you, thankyou!

OnlineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #606 on: November 03, 2023, 02:33:30 PM »
You guys..... ???

For me personally i found the teasing intro great when I was at the show and gives me a smile on my face when i hear it again. For me it's part of the song how it was played during the OES tour. So i miss it but i can understand that it's not part of the album

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #607 on: November 03, 2023, 02:38:58 PM »
Just a few thoughts after the first listen.

What a live band they were by the end of the -79 tour. Portobello Belle and Twisting along the Phil Lynott stuff being favorites. This may be a well known fact to people, but I never fully realized the importance of Pick Withers in terms of a live act. The band certainly did at least the same great job on Live at the BBC, but what's absent there to my ears in comparison is the energy and the endless inspiration what is possible to do with a guitar and a four piece band. They were certainly having great fun that night at the Rainbow.

For Alchemy I certainly do enjoy the additions of Industrial and Twisting a lot. However, it's clear why they were left out back then.  ::)

On the Night has always held a special place in my heart being the first live stuff I heard of DS. For some reason I forgive all the overdubbing and overproducing when it comes to ONT. Even a song as Two Young Lovers is great fun to hear. Never been a fan of the song except for the -91/92 versions. I Think I Love You Too Much is worth a lot to me. I prefer this version to the Knebworth one. Regarding Sultans, Tunnel and Telegraph I can't wish for more. Sure there are even better and more energetic versions from earlier of the tour, bit these are an absolute thrill to finally have available. Also to have my childhood favorite live version of Solid Rock finally available on Spotity is fantastic. I mean.. the outro part with MK/Phil.. So slick, isn't it?  8)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #608 on: November 03, 2023, 02:41:39 PM »
You guys..... ???
thnx for your feedback Chris
always a joy to have you onboard here, despite the often "mixed" comments of our own local super musicians :-)
i guess it is the same as with any national football team, the best national trainer is sitting at home, ...pls do not feel upset about this minority of comments.

what does surprise me a bit is that Damage management, or whatever the name is these days, cannot do a little extra effort and send a box to those guys actually playing on it, something i will never get...
but on the other hand, great to see you are still excited enough about it to order it yourself.
pls do keep visiting us every now and then, it is inside infos from the likes of yourself, or the sadly missed Jack Sonni, who lift up the cloud of mystery a bit for us fans!
we always guess and discuss, and over analyse, and sometimes, or most of the time, the answer is a far more simple one. which is where you come in :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #609 on: November 03, 2023, 02:44:21 PM »
You guys..... ???

Thanks for the insight, and it’s the internet everyone’s a critic!

I agree that it’s shameful that you have to buy your own copy, poor show!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #610 on: November 03, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »

No delivery on Saturday?

Bonaparte isn't on this box  ;)

:lol :lol :lol Such a shame!

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #611 on: November 03, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »

Thanks Chris, I've always wondered about that and think its the source of many peoples often unwarranted criticism of your drumming on OES compared to earlier eras. Its also often 'Not what people are used to' so they take an instant dislike to it.

In a way I was a victim of circumstances and with hindsight I would have done some things differently. The stage had a weird sound, I was high up, away from most of the band. Mark wanted the drums loud (from the first day we went on stage with the PA and monitors), so I ended up slamming the drums for a lot of the show, which is NOT the way Sultans should have been played and also why I ended up cranking my snare too high.
Our a few months I drifted into playing a crappy drum solo at the end of MFN.
Other than that I stand by everything I did on the tour.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #612 on: November 03, 2023, 03:02:18 PM »
I'm totally on board with criticism, especially when it's personal opinion and also when fans have a different perspective to the people on the stage or in the studio. It sometimes goes too far, like calling one tiny fluff from P Palmer a 'major error', or suggesting the entire drum sound is 'crap'.
A better way is to say you don't like Palmer's guitar solo, or you don't like his playing on the tour, the drum sound is not your cup of tea, or in your opinion the drum sound could have been better, etc.....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #613 on: November 03, 2023, 03:13:29 PM »
well, welcome to our world of pain (as admins of this forum) :-)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #614 on: November 03, 2023, 03:14:12 PM »
but...you did not comment on your recent amazon order though ....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.