Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130513 times)

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #585 on: November 02, 2023, 10:10:20 PM »

The full Alchemy concert will be available November 1st. I reckon it's the complete 2010 Blu-ray version

It now says November 8th.
I'm hoping the new songs are on this video version as well.
It says full live concert so I guess so...

First postponed, now it is deleted...

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #586 on: November 02, 2023, 11:00:51 PM »
The Rainbow show,to me,is worth the £200.
A stunning performance and a real pleasure to listen to.I am on my third listen as I type-yep it's that good.
How the hell can a pro make Alchemy sound worse?
I was never a big fan of OTN but again this sounds worse than the original.
The added songs are nice to have but so many issues with both "classic" DS live albums.
I am so impressed with the 79 show that I'll forgive the "many" errors.

OfflineBeryl

• Guitar George
« Reply #587 on: November 03, 2023, 01:02:48 AM »
Agree about Industrial Desease. Poor sound. But strongly disagree about OTN. The original record sounds like a bunch of animatronics playing together, like the Thunderbirds from Calling Elvis video: no soul at all. But all the new songs sound alive, less processed, like a human band. With MK voice a lot less robotlike and some amazing TR and TOL guitar playing (dont care about the gigantic reverb - delay). And 1979 show is just astonishing. Totally agree about Pick's unbelievable talents.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #588 on: November 03, 2023, 01:04:15 AM »
Today I listened to Rainbow Theater 79 in its entirety, track by track, with tears in my eyes, I don't remember when I was so moved listening to a recording. What an atmosphere, gentlemen, what an incredible band they were at the end of 1979... The feeling is that those songs are like a real living entity that has an unusual shine through the 4 founding members, i mean there is nothing like these songs being performed by the founding members of Dire Straits, that's what I felt very clearly, that's enough listening to Portobello Belle's version, the subtleties they all gave in these songs they created... My God, how I love and identify with this sound.
If you don't get goosebumps with the version of Setting me UP, you're not alive, what energy...

Rainbow Theater 79 was the most delightful thing I've heard in a long time, i entered heaven, I'm in a state of grace, I listened with my headphones, I'm floating here, still processing the experience! :wave
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 01:11:26 AM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineJolsk

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #589 on: November 03, 2023, 01:45:37 AM »
Such a weird decision to add so much reverb to Tunnel of Love. Even Mark's voice has reverb. And it contrasts so much with the non-remixed songs (i.e. original 1993 mix). Still glad we finally have the complete OTN show but they might as well have remixed all songs from scratch and present it as a completely new mix.
Live at the Rainbow sounds fantastic though.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #590 on: November 03, 2023, 01:47:42 AM »
I love the Rainbow, and love TOL 92, no matter the reverb.
I can't stand Alchemy being the old mix, and above all the intro (the rock and the thunder) cut in GH!! This is criminal...

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #591 on: November 03, 2023, 01:49:56 AM »
TOL is awesome!!
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #592 on: November 03, 2023, 04:14:43 AM »
One thing is better on Alchemy though - the "thank you!" at the end of Private Investigations is there!!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #593 on: November 03, 2023, 07:56:58 AM »
It's a shame it had to take decades for the gems to emerge.

I know of fans that no longer are among us who always hoped for something like this. That "something must be somewhere" kind of faith. It makes me sad to think of. That reluctance which stood in the way for so many years.

That being said. The collection is an amazing time capsule. The complete OTN and Rainbow are alone worth the price tag.

I'm no audiophile but I have full respect for those who are. I can't tell what's A and what's B by (currently) listening through Spotify.

Anyhow. Keep in mind that this probably never would have happened unless we had Guy. Don't forget to give him that gratitude.  :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #594 on: November 03, 2023, 08:14:20 AM »
Portobello Belle at the Rainbow is fantastic! My favourite so far

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #595 on: November 03, 2023, 09:29:38 AM »
TOL is awesome!!

Yes indeed! Great version!

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #596 on: November 03, 2023, 10:28:07 AM »
It's a shame it had to take decades for the gems to emerge.

I know of fans that no longer are among us who always hoped for something like this. That "something must be somewhere" kind of faith. It makes me sad to think of. That reluctance which stood in the way for so many years.

That being said. The collection is an amazing time capsule. The complete OTN and Rainbow are alone worth the price tag.

I'm no audiophile but I have full respect for those who are. I can't tell what's A and what's B by (currently) listening through Spotify.

Anyhow. Keep in mind that this probably never would have happened unless we had Guy. Don't forget to give him that gratitude.  :)

My thoughts exactly. In my case, being a huge OES fan, I remember back in 1994 thinking "Why the f** there is not this or that in this CD?". 30 damn years after we got this. On a nitpicky note, I don't really dig the clean Pensa Suhr sound in these new recordings. Sounds muffled and lifeless, compared to the Basel recording to name one which is full of richness and detail. Other than that I quite like the new songs. I Think I Love you too Much is huge. Also Fade To Black. When It Comes To You is a great gem, though I would have preferred a zillion times a good PONO. SoS, well, not the best SoS out there but I love that you can hear PP in all its glory doing the rhythm guitar! TR I dig a lot vocal performance - guitar wise not really special. The ending solo sound is so weird with all that delay.

Offlineregaran

• Local Hero
  • Since 1988
« Reply #597 on: November 03, 2023, 11:12:28 AM »
Dear all,

I have made a full listening of OTN, Alchemy and Rainbow.
Here are my coments:

ALCHEMY: additonal songs 'Twisting' and 'Portobello' are really great and make a real plus to the all concert. But 'Industrial Disease' is horrible, clearly a big issue there.

OTN: For me a live concert record should reflect the moment. I never liked OTN because it was too much produced, overdubbed, no ambiance... A live album is not a studio album.
         I prefer really Nimes, Basel or Wobburn Abbey. The problem with these soundboards is that it is exactly the same setlist.
         The new songs added to OTN are not so produced than previous ones and i like that so much. Plus we can really hear full details that we can not hear in bootlegs.
         My dream would be to have 91-92' tour opening at Dublin (August 23) in soundboard. I listen lot of time the bootleg as this concert is so powerfull and reflecting the live ambiance.

RAINBOW: a pure diamond ! I just regret that the song 'News' is not in the shape of 81-82 tour, ending with 'Private Investigations' outro ! 

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2023, 11:59:16 AM »
Aaaaah! The delivery guy stopped at my front door, didn’t step out, drove away! So it will be Monday I get my box set. Now I have to keep using spotify…

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #599 on: November 03, 2023, 12:02:43 PM »
Aaaaah! The delivery guy stopped at my front door, didn’t step out, drove away! So it will be Monday I get my box set. Now I have to keep using spotify…

That's brutal :(
Proud member of the AMIT crew

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.