Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130666 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »

- On the night new songs are, apparently by what JF says, in full, and no new edits had been made to the existing ones
- Rainbow 79 songs, all new, are also apparently

yes indeed.
I just listen to Sultans from OTN right now. The length is 11:51, and I don't hear any edit. BTW, it's mixed in the same way as you can hear from the audience : Phil Palmer and Chris White are on the right. (due to the fact it was mixed by Guy, it could have been mixed the other way, I mean from the point of view of the stage. it's sometimes the case in live albums)

En does it sound any good? :)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #391 on: October 11, 2023, 09:56:24 AM »
Thanks JF!

For going home, the video and the album versions have exactly the same length (5'35),

No, the album version is 6:05. it contains the rocks and water theme in intro, which doesn't feature on the video

The album version is 6'06, but only because it has a lot of clapping at the end, as I said. The "useful length" is only 5'35, which is exactly the length on the video from the end of Mark's speech to the last note of the song. And the video does have the full intro, I've just checked...

so it's worse than that then....

the version on the box set is 5:05 !
and it does'nt have the full intro

I remember my first Alchemy copy was a LP copy on a cassette, and I am quite sure it didn't have the full intro

does that mean Guy took the LP master tapes ?  :think

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #392 on: October 11, 2023, 10:00:11 AM »

- On the night new songs are, apparently by what JF says, in full, and no new edits had been made to the existing ones

yes indeed.
I just listen to Sultans from OTN right now. The length is 11:51, and I don't hear any edit. BTW, it's mixed in the same way as you can hear from the audience : Phil Palmer and Chris White are on the right. (due to the fact it was mixed by Guy, it could have been mixed the other way, I mean from the point of view of the stage. it's sometimes the case in live albums)

I am at work and doesn't have a very good sound system. just an average headphone. But Yes I find the sound good
Remember I am not very found of the 91-92 era, so I don't listen to OES tour bootlegs very often, so my ears doesn't have very much references for soundboard recordings of this era...  :)
I just find its sounds like OTN record, which is not my cupa  ;D

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #393 on: October 11, 2023, 10:06:29 AM »

yes indeed.

I am at work and doesn't have a very good sound system. just an average headphone. But Yes I find the sound good
Remember I am not very found of the 91-92 era, so I don't listen to OES tour bootlegs very often, so my ears doesn't have very much references for soundboard recordings of this era...  :)
I have mixed fellings about the OES tour. Yes it has many things going against it, as widely reported here, but...
On the plus side, it is the only your I attended, so I have fond memories. Also, Mark's playing was at his best. Sultans was a great mix of old and new, the sax break is very touching. For TOL I agree that there are objective reasons going against it (short intro, Pensa tone which is not for everyone) but I can't help loving it, the Pensa soft sound makes it very romantic. For TR, it's another story. The song is ruined from the beginning (awful use of pedal steel, cut intro, lifeless vocals, out of place sax). The end solo is out of this world, granted, but this doesn't even save the version, as it is too fast and doesn't fit the song. 83/96/01/05 versions are so much better...

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #394 on: October 11, 2023, 10:11:40 AM »

yes indeed.
JF thanks very much for your work.
About SOS 1992, in the first comment you seemed not to be enthusiastic, listening to it more now what do you think?  :thumbsup

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #395 on: October 11, 2023, 10:17:01 AM »
I still love (always loved, because it was my first DS live dvd as a teenager i guess,) on the night, so can't wait to here the new songs.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #396 on: October 11, 2023, 10:18:54 AM »
I hope we hear Joop de Korte at Alchemy  ;)

Don’t go there, removing the intro would be an act of gross vandalism!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2023, 10:43:25 AM »
I still love (always loved, because it was my first DS live dvd as a teenager i guess,) on the night, so can't wait to here the new songs.

Me too and I am still happy that i saw this tour 2 times live in Rotterdam (Ahoy 1991 and De Kuip 1992) because it was the only DS tour i witnessed live.
Really looking forward hear the bonustracks especially ToL and ITILYM because they are probably from the night I was at Rotterdam.

Does MFN now has the teasing intro with the audience or isn't that still not included?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2023, 10:49:11 AM »
Must be TOL from this one. He says something about Making Movies, like JF said.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2023, 10:53:32 AM »
Must be TOL from this one. He says something about Making Movies, like JF said.

Yes! That's the show i visited

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2023, 11:03:53 AM »

yes indeed.

I have mixed fellings about the OES tour. Yes it has many things going against it, as widely reported here, but...
On the plus side, it is the only your I attended, so I have fond memories. Also, Mark's playing was at his best. Sultans was a great mix of old and new, the sax break is very touching. For TOL I agree that there are objective reasons going against it (short intro, Pensa tone which is not for everyone) but I can't help loving it, the Pensa soft sound makes it very romantic. For TR, it's another story. The song is ruined from the beginning (awful use of pedal steel, cut intro, lifeless vocals, out of place sax). The end solo is out of this world, granted, but this doesn't even save the version, as it is too fast and doesn't fit the song. 83/96/01/05 versions are so much better...
Gotta love how each fan has a very different taste :)

IMO best TR is from 92 just because the pedal steel ,MK using the dobro until the second solo, etc. Close to it 96 ones because Mark's playing - which I find even superior to OES tour - The band itself, I prefer the DS touch. So yeah this very new soundboard TR is a very welcomed perk for me!!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2023, 11:04:09 AM »
What a beautiful TOL version. Can't wait for 3 november.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2023, 11:20:07 AM »
I hope we hear Joop de Korte at Alchemy  ;)

Don’t go there, removing the intro would be an act of gross vandalism!

yes Joop and stargazer are still there  ! :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2023, 11:22:26 AM »

yes indeed.
JF thanks very much for your work.
About SOS 1992, in the first comment you seemed not to be enthusiastic, listening to it more now what do you think?  :thumbsup

good sound and yes Mark is playing well. several "improvisation" licks... but a common usual version from this era to my ears. Nothing exceptionnal for my taste  :)
and we do have differents tastes it's human  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2023, 11:24:09 AM »

Does MFN now has the teasing intro with the audience or isn't that still not included?

no, it's the same as on the album. no teasing intro

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.