Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130695 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #375 on: October 10, 2023, 05:06:58 PM »
Tunnel Of Love / 15:38

Great! Can't wait

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #376 on: October 10, 2023, 05:07:26 PM »
oh and I forgot : TOL from live at the BBC is again from the Dortmund gig ("danke schön" at the start)

But maybe the description in the book will be correct.
Clear as the day

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #377 on: October 10, 2023, 05:17:28 PM »
I don't have the time to listen to all now, but I managed to listen to some snippets during launch time pause

here are some infos :

Alchemy - just listened to starts/ends and only PB in "full"

- I already said what I think of butchering PB. the tansition with TOL is awful
- Mark's speech during the intro of TOL is cut like on the album version
- GH doesn't have Mark' speech neither

On The night
- TOL : I am not much found of 91-92 versions. but sounds nice. great intro with Mark saying "song from Making Movies". Due to lack of time, I must admit I just listened to the intro and breakdown. of course, the band introduction is here. duration of the song is 15:38

- when it comes to you : I like this song a lot. sounds great live. very nice solos
- fade to black : I like it. great Mark's playing imho, very "jazzy". two different keyboard solos. very nice
- ITILTM : very good intro. I prefer this version than the Knebworth one. Mark teasing the audience at the start.
- SOS : nothing special, we already knew many soundoard versions from this tour
- TR : idem
- TYL : idem

Live at the rainbow : I don't have the time to listen to it in full right now. so just listened to some snippets
sounds very nice. well mixed. all instruments are clearly audible. you can hear subtle things in David's playing
as you all know, Mark is on fire. very great playing and heartfull singing imho. talking between songs...
- I love six blade knife. great outro
- very nice versions of Lions, Once upon a time, Les Boys (great solo !) Portobello Belle, News, Gallery..
- amazing Setting me up and southbound again !
- gorgeous wild west end
- I noticed that David has his phaser effect on gallery and during the solo in southbound (and of course on whole waterline and once upon atime)
- at the start of TBTP, Matk shoot a "thank youuuu!!" like he will did futher before sultans
- songs with Phil Lynott are great
- the intro in that's allright mama sounds like freeway flyer

if you have special questions about  something particular, songs lengths, etc... I can answer you, but of course I can't share the link. it's professionnal

Thanks JF !

Couple of comments / questions:

1) For TOL Alchemy this is a real waste to have cut the speech. It is a very nice moment on the Blu Ray.
2) For Alchemy, are the old songs mix similar than the original album ? To the 2010 one ?
3) For Going Home in Alchemy, how come the given time is one minute less than the album version (which did'nt have the speech either) ?
4) How is the transition betwwen Industrial Diseases and Expresso Love ? smooth ? or cut ?
5) For TOL on OTN, is it confirmed that it is from Rotterdam 30.05.92 ? If it is confirmed, then the end solo is less gorgeous than Munich 91...

Cheers

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #378 on: October 10, 2023, 06:24:18 PM »
I think the sound quality we will get, make TOL92 superior to Munich91... Let's hope  :)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #379 on: October 10, 2023, 09:03:25 PM »
I think the sound quality we will get, make TOL92 superior to Munich91... Let's hope  :)

It's just the OES band... it doesn't matter anyway, lol
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #380 on: October 10, 2023, 11:33:29 PM »

Thanks JF !

Couple of comments / questions:

1) For TOL Alchemy this is a real waste to have cut the speech. It is a very nice moment on the Blu Ray.
2) For Alchemy, are the old songs mix similar than the original album ? To the 2010 one ?
3) For Going Home in Alchemy, how come the given time is one minute less than the album version (which did'nt have the speech either) ?
4) How is the transition betwwen Industrial Diseases and Expresso Love ? smooth ? or cut ?
5) For TOL on OTN, is it confirmed that it is from Rotterdam 30.05.92 ? If it is confirmed, then the end solo is less gorgeous than Munich 91...

Cheers

Hi Vincent,

1) fully agree
2) I haven't check all songs entirely, but solid rock is for sure the same mix as on the original album. I didn't hear the saxo part like in the 2010 one. BTW solid rock is 5:35 in the box set, but 6:05 on the original album. The difference is more applause at the end on the original album.
3) yes, it's because the "new" version doesn't have the full intro with the rocks and water theme. I guess it was already the case in the video ?
4) as my link has separate files, I can't listen to them in a row. Expresso love starts at the first chord played by Hal, like on the video. Industrial Disease ends with the riff we can hear on the Alchemy album version. So the transition is perfect for me.
5) the link I have doesn't give any information about the source (see the screenshot)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #381 on: October 10, 2023, 11:47:16 PM »
Thanks JF!

For going home, the video and the album versions have exactly the same length (5'35), if you start after the speech and remove the clapping at the end. So I guess Guy cut some 20 seconds of intro on the "new" version! Another butcher's job, after TOL speech and PB outro!
So it seems to me that this new Alchemy has no interest. Same old mix, but with Going Home intro cut, and a strange "Thank you" added in the intro of R&J, which was never there.
The new Alchemy new tracks have little value: enough said about the cut outro of PB. As for ID and TBTP, I'm no fan of those... Just as curiosities.
I will stick with my blu Ray - better mix, and video!

I'm really looking forward to listening to TOL 92 (first ever soundboard) and to SMU on Rainbow 79 (no 79 soundboard so far). These 2 will be something!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #382 on: October 10, 2023, 11:56:11 PM »
I hope we hear Joop de Korte at Alchemy  ;)
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #383 on: October 11, 2023, 08:02:51 AM »
In which "Alchemy" source do we have the MK speech before Romeo?

I'm searching for it but can't find it, I'm starting to think that we don't have it further than the audience recording...
So Long

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #384 on: October 11, 2023, 08:11:43 AM »
There is something I can't fully understand...

- On the night new songs are, apparently by what JF says, in full, and no new edits had been made to the existing ones
- Rainbow 79 songs, all new, are also apparently
- Alchemy songs are edited not only the new ones but also the existing ones.

WHY?

OTN versions of all songs were very long and there was no problem including them on full, but ALCHEMY ones needed to be edited here and there making them even shorter than the original release of 1984...

I don't understand anything at all...
So Long

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »

I'm searching for it but can't find it, I'm starting to think that we don't have it further than the audience recording...
Yes, it was not included on anything official.
What is beyong comprehension in that in this speech you don't have any "thank you". But it seems that Guy found it fit to artificially add one!! Why so?

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #386 on: October 11, 2023, 08:41:03 AM »

Yes, it was not included on anything official.
What is beyong comprehension in that in this speech you don't have any "thank you". But it seems that Guy found it fit to artificially add one!! Why so?

I can understand to do that with a totally unknown recording that was never released before as you could try to build a sensation, a feeling, doing these sorts of things, but "Alchemy" is a record that is so well known by fans that many of us know it by heart second by second, thank you by thank you, piano, guitar, bass or drum note by note...

It is great to have the chance to listen in soundboard sound "Industrial disease" or "Twisting by the pool" and also half of "Portobello belle" but if this work would had been made by a fan I'm sure it would had been the whole show without any edit. I also understand that Guy, as the studio proffesional he is, has a different view. And totally respect it, althought I disagree with it as I'm a fan and an ignorant when it comes to studio work.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 08:59:45 AM by jbaent »
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
Thanks JF!

For going home, the video and the album versions have exactly the same length (5'35),

No, the album version is 6:05. it contains the rocks and water theme in intro, which doesn't feature on the video

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2023, 09:46:27 AM »

- On the night new songs are, apparently by what JF says, in full, and no new edits had been made to the existing ones
- Rainbow 79 songs, all new, are also apparently

yes indeed.
I just listen to Sultans from OTN right now. The length is 11:51, and I don't hear any edit. BTW, it's mixed in the same way as you can hear from the audience : Phil Palmer and Chris White are on the right. (due to the fact it was mixed by Guy, it could have been mixed the other way, I mean from the point of view of the stage. it's sometimes the case in live albums)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2023, 09:46:51 AM »
Thanks JF!

For going home, the video and the album versions have exactly the same length (5'35),

No, the album version is 6:05. it contains the rocks and water theme in intro, which doesn't feature on the video

The album version is 6'06, but only because it has a lot of clapping at the end, as I said. The "useful length" is only 5'35, which is exactly the length on the video from the end of Mark's speech to the last note of the song. And the video does have the full intro, I've just checked...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.