Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130771 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2023, 03:55:34 PM »
You're right is longer than 13 minutes.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2023, 04:08:06 PM »
I think we've lost the Doc, it's radio silence, he's been taking criticism for a few pages now, he hasn't even replied on his forum since the announcement, we've been rough on him I think. Let's not forget that he's our link with Mark and the rest of the DS industry, I'm happy to have and listen to what's coming out soon, even if there are seconds missing here and there  :)

He could had closed the forum but he didn't.

I hope he's just busy or taking a rest of it.
So Long

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2023, 05:39:54 PM »
I think we've lost the Doc, it's radio silence, he's been taking criticism for a few pages now, he hasn't even replied on his forum since the announcement, we've been rough on him I think. Let's not forget that he's our link with Mark and the rest of the DS industry, I'm happy to have and listen to what's coming out soon, even if there are seconds missing here and there  :)

I actually think that all this criticism (more on this forum than in his Q&A) is completely pointless. Everyone could think one thing that would have liked more (no cuts, or a show from '85, or anything). So we would have at least 100 different box sets, tu satisfy each and everyone (maybe).
But tha main thing, is that for the first time we will be blessed with so many hidden gems from the past that many of us were just dreaming of.
To fill pages and pages of moaning is something I can't understand. And maybe I'm not the only one.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2023, 05:47:53 PM »

I actually think that all this criticism (more on this forum than in his Q&A) is completely pointless. Everyone could think one thing that would have liked more (no cuts, or a show from '85, or anything). So we would have at least 100 different box sets, tu satisfy each and everyone (maybe).
But tha main thing, is that for the first time we will be blessed with so many hidden gems from the past that many of us were just dreaming of.
To fill pages and pages of moaning is something I can't understand. And maybe I'm not the only one.

No, you're not the only one!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2023, 05:48:29 PM »

You're not the only one. It comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between artist and fan. None of us have the right to say what should and should not be on any release. We as fans have never been deprived of anything because such state implys ownership of something. We should enjoy the music we have and look forward to whats to come. If you don't like it don't buy it....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #275 on: September 25, 2023, 05:52:53 PM »

First, as you noticed, we are not "moaning" on Guy's forum, which would be disrespectful, but here, which is a space of freedom of speech.

Second, we are not "moaning" about what is not there at all. Everybody understands that nothing was recorded with quality for the BIA tour, or that it may be saved for a later (40th anniversary ?) release. And we all understand that PONO was not recorded, so no point moaning about it.

We are "moaning" about things there were readily available, that woud have cost nothing to release in full, but for which it was arbitrarly decided that it would be cut. Biggest (but not only) example being Portobello Belle.

This is a wasted opporunity, and saying it here is not an insult, we have every right to say it

It does not prevent me from saying I'm grateful for the good things. Releasing the Rainbow concert is awesome. Releasing SOS, TR and TOL and a few others from the OES tour (especially TOL, for which no soundboard has ever been available) is awesome.

But butchering Alchemy, knowing the importance of this historical concert, whereas it would have been so easy to do it right, is *not* awesome.. this deserves moaning, yes. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 05:55:35 PM by herlock »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2023, 06:15:01 PM »
I'm known on the forum for rarely complaining :) But this is about unfulfilled expectations. And I'll buy the box anyway :)
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2023, 06:53:37 PM »

You're not the only one. It comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between artist and fan. None of us have the right to say what should and should not be on any release. We as fans have never been deprived of anything because such state implys ownership of something. We should enjoy the music we have and look forward to whats to come. If you don't like it don't buy it....

I could agree with you if I had proof that it is both based on artistic concerns and by Mark himself.
Otherwise this is people working on Mark's baby and we are all legitimate to discuss their decision.

Just that 15 pages of "it's a shame PB will be cut" is a little boring.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2023, 08:52:48 PM »

I could agree with you if I had proof that it is both based on artistic concerns and by Mark himself.
Otherwise this is people working on Mark's baby and we are all legitimate to discuss their decision.

Just that 15 pages of "it's a shame PB will be cut" is a little boring.

We can discuss all we like. Thats fine. People just shouldn't be slighted because its not what they wanted. You know that famous saying about opinions.

This music does not belong to us, its something someone has chosen to share for a price.

If I were Guy right now I'd probably be wondering why I bothered.....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2023, 09:25:59 PM »

There's a reason Mark has been working with Guy for so long, and I think it's not so easy to "lose" him, surely he'll be over it. I've seen all sorts of crazy stuff on his forum and he handled it perfectly well and with dignity.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2023, 10:53:10 PM »

Don't worry, if he really is a Doc he'll be on strike.  :disbelief
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2023, 11:59:45 PM »

Don't worry, if he really is a Doc he'll be on strike.  :disbelief

Guy responded in his forum

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2023, 02:32:48 AM »
To be fair to those who comment on the release - understanding that fans want complete shows isn't hard. If Guy somehow missed this, and is "butthurt" over the criticism, he has no clue on what he's doing.

We'll see what is released and what's cut, but IMO they should have a proper explanation for when they remove parts of live performances. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of all the extended versions anyway. They're fun as oneoffs done "in the moment", but I'd rather have another song or two than some instrumental parts that lead pretty much nowhere.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2023, 03:29:45 AM »
GF:

Sorry about the outro. I just thought it went on a bit, didn’t develop and I know for a fact Mark would not have wanted that.
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2023, 06:20:29 AM »
As much as I loved Portobello belle in its long version live, I have to admit that I've been blinded by the frustration of not having it on full on this new box.

We really (specially me) don't have right to show that frustration on Guy as he really had gave us more than he had to. This is his work, not an obligation to fulfill fans dreams, and as we say in Spain, you can't leave the trees to hide the forest.

This box is far more than we ever dreamed about and I feel ashamed to let myself go on the frustration on not having just one song complete, not matter how much I love it, to forget how thankful I should be for everything else we are getting.
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.