Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130880 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2023, 06:58:42 AM »
Thankfully the icing on the cake for me is Rainbow Theater 79, as it will always be with anything from the original 77/79 lineup, for me it's my particular priority, however, I'm still grateful for the other releases of course, even though they have fully capable of doing something really brilliant and worthy with the historical importance of Alchemy and On the Night and they didn't do it, just out of "laziness", they opted for convenience! :-\

Lazyness/Convenience... doing less work and save time.

Different words, same meaning, lol

Yes, laziness spoke louder to deliver a product truly living up to its historical importance, once again.

I'm very interested in When it comes to you, I think I love you too much and TOL, but the complete Alchemy would be a matter of honor almost four decades after its release, it's a shame that those responsible for this release don't t have the slightest idea of the historical nature of this show, to delivering to us exactly what was delivered to people that night at the Hammersmith Odeon, this is the experience that we all deserve with what current technology can provide.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 07:05:46 AM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »
Just a small thought. This music does not belong to us, it is our choice to pay for it and privilege to listen to it.....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2023, 09:42:42 AM »
I can't even see how it would have taken more time to release the full PB.

I'm not an expert but I feel that actually it would have taken less time. Guy had to remix it anyway, since he took the intro. He could have just left his settings as they were and let the song go the end. He would'nt even have hade to cut it and fade it out.

And he said "based of performances", which drives me mad. Let us decide whether the performance is worth it or not ! The audience recordings didn't show any flaw in PB theses nights, did they  ?

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2023, 09:50:24 AM »
I can't even see how it would have taken more time to release the full PB.

I'm not an expert but I feel that actually it would have taken less time. Guy had to remix it anyway, since he took the intro. He could have just left his settings as they were and let the song go the end. He would'nt even have hade to cut it and fade it out.

And he said "based of performances", which drives me mad. Let us decide whether the performance is worth it or not ! The audience recordings didn't show any flaw in PB theses nights, did they  ?

What I don't get is why, in terms of performance, MK talking again and again about the song being an Irish reagge could be more interesting than the musical outtro with the interchange of solos between MK and Mel... doesn't make sense to me from a performance point of view.

And talking about performance. Is not better to allow fans to enjoy the performance as the attendees did back in 1983 instead of butchering it in a studio under tha criteria of someone who wasn't there?

I totally respect Guy proffesionality and how good he is in what he does, but Alchemy was always more than a live record, and it was far more representative than OTN as a live witness of what the band was on a stage.
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »

He's the Exec Producer and this isn't a bootleg, this is an official live release, and you have to expect even a certain amount of artistic intervention or when to hit the fader when something falls below the quality threshold musically.  The bar is set by the producer but I'm quite happy with that. He's Marks right hand man.

"artistic intervention" ???:lol :lol :lol :disbelief :disbelief :disbelief

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2023, 10:18:50 AM »
It all seemed too perfect to be true, I woke up from the beautiful dream....
From yesterday's response I still can't believe we wouldn't have a PB like that night went down in history. perhaps we are the only fans of a band to have fewer and fewer successes in their record releases.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2023, 10:27:54 AM »
Indeed sad it’s only an extended intro to PB instead of full length… Great song and the fade out on MFN compilation always made me eager how it really ends. We do have some recording, but in terms of audio quality it’s so-so.

I wonder if, after a DS studio box, MK solo studio box and DS live box, a MK live box will ever see the light of day. I’d love a proper full length GH tour gig with rarities as No can do, Water of love, Long highway, Are we in trouble now AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT EXCLUSE OR CUT OFF DONE WITH BONAPARTE BECAUSE OF THE BAND INTRO. ;D ;D ;D
Well this audience recording of PB has outstanding quality. Almost sounds like a soundboard. Anyway given Guy's censorship, this is the best you'll ever get, so enjoy it...

The quality is ok for an audience recording and great to have it, but outstanding?  :think

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2023, 10:30:57 AM »
Indeed sad it’s only an extended intro to PB instead of full length… Great song and the fade out on MFN compilation always made me eager how it really ends. We do have some recording, but in terms of audio quality it’s so-so.

I wonder if, after a DS studio box, MK solo studio box and DS live box, a MK live box will ever see the light of day. I’d love a proper full length GH tour gig with rarities as No can do, Water of love, Long highway, Are we in trouble now AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT EXCLUSE OR CUT OFF DONE WITH BONAPARTE BECAUSE OF THE BAND INTRO. ;D ;D ;D
Well this audience recording of PB has outstanding quality. Almost sounds like a soundboard. Anyway given Guy's censorship, this is the best you'll ever get, so enjoy it...

The quality is ok for an audience recording and great to have it, but outstanding?  :think
Outstanding for an audience recording. This is as good an audience rec from 1983 can get. Of course it is way less outstanding that the remixed soundboard would have sounded without M. Fletcher "artistic input".

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2023, 02:09:43 PM »
Maybe somebody can politely explain to Guy that the whole PB is seen by fans as one of the masterpieces of the band... and ask him to include it on the digital streaming services... mabye... very maybe he is willing to do it...

We can try, but we need to do it carefully and polite in correct English...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2023, 02:18:55 PM »
Maybe somebody can politely explain to Guy that the whole PB is seen by fans as one of the masterpieces of the band... and ask him to include it on the digital streaming services... mabye... very maybe he is willing to do it...

All work about it is done. There is no solution right now.

I only hope one day someone thinks about releasing a box with both nights at the Hammersmith, without edits, and do justice at last.
So Long

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2023, 02:21:22 PM »

good idea! why not try?? I don't do it because it's not my second language and with the translator I could make mistakes and misunderstandings. Who wants to try??

Offlineasouza

• Guitar George
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2023, 02:23:04 PM »
Well Guy's forum appears to be down now. Perhaps he got fed up with people *moaning*

You guys need to chill on Portobello I
would suggest.  It's not actually that interesting in the scheme of things, just a bit of noodling between MK and Mel Collins. I barely listen to it.  And if I want to, I'll go to a bootleg like Tokyo in near perfect sound.

I agree, personally, I think there's "a bit too much" in this song, it's like filler for not much. I love the song, but prolonging it like this doesn't really serve it.

I think the same . The duel between Mark and Mel Collins isn’t that much worth.

same for me.

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2023, 02:23:18 PM »
he must have mixed the entire song..

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2023, 02:48:01 PM »

All work about it is done. There is no solution right now.

I only hope one day someone thinks about releasing a box with both nights at the Hammersmith, without edits, and do justice at last.

This is the box for alchemy.. don't think there will be another future alchemy release... Guy said he will continue doing his best for us regarding releasing stuff...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2023, 03:56:35 PM »
Actually, after so many pages of discussion, I also agree that the ending of PB is not that interesting for the general public. That I was excited to see Alchemy in its entirety is one thing, but I am much more worried that the transitions of the songs are not correct, and that for example we could find a fade out in ID and another one in PB without linking to EL & TOL, not to mention that if the tracks have not all been remixed (and at least the labels on the streaming platforms say not...) the alchemy may have become a real mess.

So we better cross our fingers and find ourselves with a great new stereo mix and perfect transitions between songs (and TR and SR well ordered) and give away the end of PB forever.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.