Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130522 times)

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #525 on: October 29, 2023, 02:55:34 PM »
My theory is that Guy lowered Phil Palmer's 2nd solo volume for a reason,
If you listen to the audience recording Phil's 2nd solo starts at 1:06:53 and it's a very nice one to my taste but
he makes a major error while playing, out of tone lick, at about 1:06:59-1:07:01

So it's done on purpose intentionally for this reason, not to boycott Phil

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 04:40:17 PM by vape68 »

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #526 on: October 29, 2023, 04:00:11 PM »
What are you playing it on and from what source? It's far far more likely to be an equipment fault your end such as a speaker(s) out of phase or device level sound processing rather than a mixing error.

Use logic and ask yourself this. What is the variable here? Because its not the source its the different setups youre using. I've played that song on my 7.1 presonus studio speakers, my atmos enabled tablet, my phone, and my old stereo hifi and have been unable to recreate what you're describing. ...

Where did you find the Atmos source of the mixes? Because if it’s just stereo source then all this talk about 7.1 systems and atmos devices is irrelevant. Besides a great mix will translate well across different equipment and certainly a solo part should be well up front no matter what device you are listening.

Couple more points about the mix itself, check out the panning of the drums, the toms are panned the opposite compared to On the Night, a simplest thing to match if you want to make mixes cohesive. And just compare the mix of I think i love you too much to the mix of The bug, there’s just so much more energy and drive in the mix of the Bug.

I’ve never been a fan of mixes by Guy, they are flat and boring but of course this is my personal taste. It just would have been great to have someone else to mix these.

And thats all fine, personal opinion about a mix. No problem there.

There is a problem when you're saying that one part is basically missing or severely reduced in volume. Given where PPs guitar is positioned in the mix I would bet that phase cancellation due to a software or hardware error is the issue here.

Again, what devices are you using to using to listen on?

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
« Reply #527 on: October 29, 2023, 06:15:45 PM »
My theory is that Guy lowered Phil Palmer's 2nd solo volume for a reason,
If you listen to the audience recording Phil's 2nd solo starts at 1:06:53 and it's a very nice one to my taste but
he makes a major error while playing, out of tone lick, at about 1:06:59-1:07:01

So it's done on purpose intentionally for this reason, not to boycott Phil

Wow, such a pity because he smoked both solos! I bet Knopfler thrown one of his trademark death stares after such mistake.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #528 on: October 29, 2023, 06:35:47 PM »
I can't hear any such mistakes as you guys seem to hear so distinctly, to my ears he's playing a palm muted ascending lick in the tonality of the song.
or maybe I need to have my ears checked  :hmm

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #529 on: October 29, 2023, 06:45:49 PM »
I can't listen any mistakes. Actually Palmer is a high profile proffesional that plays always safe, as it's his work to do things properly.
So Long

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #530 on: October 29, 2023, 07:16:10 PM »
I can't listen any mistakes. Actually Palmer is a high profile proffesional that plays always safe, as it's his work to do things properly.

All players in the world do mistakes sometimes, Knopfler Gilmour Clapton included

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
« Reply #531 on: October 29, 2023, 08:15:04 PM »
I can't hear any such mistakes as you guys seem to hear so distinctly, to my ears he's playing a palm muted ascending lick in the tonality of the song.

There's a very obvious out of key note at 1:07:00 on the descending run.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #532 on: October 30, 2023, 09:53:46 AM »

yes agree. but only ONE note
not really a big mistake

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #533 on: October 30, 2023, 10:50:19 AM »
Yes and in a chromatic run so can be considered a blue note no?

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2023, 12:25:02 PM »
I don't care about Phil's mistake, but the inconsistency in mixes is my main concern. OTN never sounded great, and while I think ITILYTM doesn't sound great either, they should have made a clear choice. Choose the atmosphere of the original OTN mixes, or remix the whole thing. Killer guitar playing and sound by MK, though, but Guy's mixes sound so 'empty'. In a weird way, the new mixes of the Rainbow concert, Alchemy, and OTN sound the same. It's like he has one preset for drums. I can hear the players and the instruments being different, but it all feels the same though they mark very different eras of the band.

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2023, 01:38:09 PM »

yes agree. but only ONE note
not really a big mistake

Frankly it's clearly 2 notes at different stages of the run which overall sounds really bad because of those 2 errors. The rest of the solo is great. Anyway the point is that Guy lowered the volume because of that.

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #536 on: October 30, 2023, 02:16:18 PM »
I don't care about Phil's mistake, but the inconsistency in mixes is my main concern. OTN never sounded great, and while I think ITILYTM doesn't sound great either, they should have made a clear choice. Choose the atmosphere of the original OTN mixes, or remix the whole thing. Killer guitar playing and sound by MK, though, but Guy's mixes sound so 'empty'. In a weird way, the new mixes of the Rainbow concert, Alchemy, and OTN sound the same. It's like he has one preset for drums. I can hear the players and the instruments being different, but it all feels the same though they mark very different eras of the band.

I do care about Phil's mistakes. I mean the overall solo was absolutely great and I would have loved to hear it at the same volume of Mark's and Paul's solos. After a 1-year tour these guys have only 1 show with that song to choose from and have to use a recording with problems ?

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #537 on: October 30, 2023, 03:22:27 PM »
Release for USA Canada will be in january for Rhino records...so long for american guys. I dont understand why?

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #538 on: October 30, 2023, 10:57:36 PM »

I do care about Phil's mistakes. I mean the overall solo was absolutely great and I would have loved to hear it at the same volume of Mark's and Paul's solos. After a 1-year tour these guys have only 1 show with that song to choose from and have to use a recording with problems ?

Errors are a part of a live show, and after listening to it it's safe to say that even Mark himself did similar things now and then.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #539 on: October 30, 2023, 11:05:33 PM »

It sounds like either a bad judgement/impro idea or his fingers didn't do what he wanted to. But it's a minor thing. In fact, if you click the timestamp and listen to the TOL solo you won't have to wait long before Mark himself butchers something.

At 1:33:53 he's clearly headed out on the field somewhere and has to get back on track. Now, if he did indeed give Phil a "stare of death" for his bum note, did Mark carry a mirror on stage with him during the OES show?

(quite frankly, you can't work well together if you rule by fear of mistakes, so I'm sure they both laughed at it if there was a reaction - I seem to recall that has happened before.)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 39 queries.