Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130527 times)

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #510 on: October 27, 2023, 08:16:08 PM »
I guess Guy just didn't like the solo so got rid of it, like half of Portobello Belle  ;D

Hehe

The version is 30 May from Rotterdam.
In the audience recording Phil Palmer's 2 solos at the end are very loud and crystal clear.

In this soundboard recording there's a major mixing/spatial problem,
it's like one of those sounds in a movie that are crystal clear in a Dolby Digital sound environment but they
partially disappear in a stereo environment, same here, without any doubt a major error imo
or something done on purpose...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #511 on: October 27, 2023, 08:23:01 PM »
Not particularly off topic as the programme being shown tonight on BBC4 shows DS at the rainbow.
So it's on in the early hours of Saturday 28th October BBC4 at 00.30hrs ARENA - Dire Straits
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #512 on: October 27, 2023, 09:04:12 PM »
Not particularly off topic as the programme being shown tonight on BBC4 shows DS at the rainbow.
So it's on in the early hours of Saturday 28th October BBC4 at 00.30hrs ARENA - Dire Straits

Guy must have written the programme description ;D

>Arena cameras were on hand to film the return of Dire Straits from their triumphant 1980 Brothers in Arms world tour. The film features a superb concert they played at The Rainbow, and band members talk about their music and the pressures and the consequences of success.

58 minutes

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #513 on: October 28, 2023, 12:40:05 AM »
it’s lacking the punch and energy that the original On the Night mixes have.

I’m holding off listening until I have the physical copies but this does not fill me with confidence. On The Night sounds like the inside of a dog’s arsehole.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #514 on: October 28, 2023, 01:21:29 AM »
I can listen to Palmer's solos without any problem...

Maybe his volume was lower and he hadn't effects or things like the rest, and everyone was playing very loud on stage in this song.

this is a SBD, not an audience recording, there's a major mixing problem here

Ask Guy, the mixer.

If they boycotted Phil Palmer on purpose they are not gonna admit it, I can't think of another reason.
I can't think they casually left him out by error.

Listened on my big speakers through Marantz (instead of pc audio) and Phil is way louder there, his solos are clearly there.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #515 on: October 28, 2023, 10:54:10 AM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the mix in question. Marks guitar is in the centre, the other 2 instruments are panned left and right in stereo, lower left/right in atmos/7.1. Anyone hearing anything different needs to stop spreading panic about the upcoming physical releases and check their equipment.....

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #516 on: October 28, 2023, 11:42:59 AM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the mix in question. Marks guitar is in the centre, the other 2 instruments are panned left and right in stereo, lower left/right in atmos/7.1. Anyone hearing anything different needs to stop spreading panic about the upcoming physical releases and check their equipment.....

Is it even available in Atmos? I didn’t think that was the case. Ofcourse the instruments are there, but Phil’s guitar solo should be more upfront and have the mids back when he’s taking the solos. Basic principles of mixing really. Also the aesthetics of the mix are not what the aesthetics were for the OES tour and that’s the problem for me. You should always mix for the right aesthetics, not as if this was a folk song but take it as a rock song.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #517 on: October 28, 2023, 12:47:34 PM »

Is it even available in Atmos? I didn’t think that was the case. Ofcourse the instruments are there, but Phil’s guitar solo should be more upfront and have the mids back when he’s taking the solos. Basic principles of mixing really. Also the aesthetics of the mix are not what the aesthetics were for the OES tour and that’s the problem for me. You should always mix for the right aesthetics, not as if this was a folk song but take it as a rock song.

I run a small studio. Teaching, recording, mixing and producing  is my job.

There is nothing wrong with these mixes bar personal taste. As for 'mixing for the right ascetics', no engeneer or producer worth their salt would take any preconceptions into a mix. You deal with what's in front of you not what you think it should sound like. Especially with live material....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 12:50:38 PM by 2manyguitars »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #518 on: October 28, 2023, 02:15:31 PM »
As I said before, unrelated specificly to this release but including it,since I am a concert goer I am in a opinion regarding live release where I'd wish to access to the multitrack and do my own mix.

I was among the happy few to be able to hear Richard's amp directly from the stage and SAN never sounded that good after that and litterally sounded like sh.t on all soundboards release.

Live release are somewhat always a little frustration when I attended some gig of the tour.

But I have to live with that.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 02:59:32 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #519 on: October 28, 2023, 02:17:23 PM »

There is nothing wrong with these mixes bar personal taste. As for 'mixing for the right ascetics', no engeneer or producer worth their salt would take any preconceptions into a mix. You deal with what's in front of you not what you think it should sound like. Especially with live material....

After your input which I appreciate, I have expanded my check of the mix from 4 equipments in my house to 6,
adding 2 equipments from a friend of mine.

In some equipments the overall volume/sound of Phil Palmer's 1st solo (4:59-5:15) is louder/better than other equipments which alone tells you there's something wrong, but above all in all 6 equipments the 2nd solo (5:51-6:07) is clearly at a much lower volume than the 1st (4:59-5:15), so there's definitely a mixing problem.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #520 on: October 28, 2023, 05:36:27 PM »
Personally I don't see a problem in having the rhythm guitarist at a lower volume than other instruments.  Listening to bootlegs can give a false impression too depending on the position of the recorder.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #521 on: October 28, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »
As I said before, unrelated specificly to this release but including it,since I am a concert goer I am in a opinion regarding live release where I'd wish to access to the multitrack and do my own mix.

I was among the happy few to be able to hear Richard's amp directly from the stage and SAN never sounded that good after that and litterally sounded like sh.t on all soundboards release.

Live release are somewhat always a little frustration when I attended some gig of the tour.

But I have to live with that.

makes me remember the STP multitracks file that was avalaible on offical site. You could mix diffrrent tracks (not all instruments though)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #522 on: October 29, 2023, 01:56:10 AM »

After your input which I appreciate, I have expanded my check of the mix from 4 equipments in my house to 6,
adding 2 equipments from a friend of mine.

In some equipments the overall volume/sound of Phil Palmer's 1st solo (4:59-5:15) is louder/better than other equipments which alone tells you there's something wrong, but above all in all 6 equipments the 2nd solo (5:51-6:07) is clearly at a much lower volume than the 1st (4:59-5:15), so there's definitely a mixing problem.

What are you playing it on and from what source? It's far far more likely to be an equipment fault your end such as a speaker(s) out of phase or device level sound processing rather than a mixing error.

Use logic and ask yourself this. What is the variable here? Because its not the source its the different setups youre using. I've played that song on my 7.1 presonus studio speakers, my atmos enabled tablet, my phone, and my old stereo hifi and have been unable to recreate what you're describing. ...

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #523 on: October 29, 2023, 08:24:30 AM »
What are you playing it on and from what source? It's far far more likely to be an equipment fault your end such as a speaker(s) out of phase or device level sound processing rather than a mixing error.

Use logic and ask yourself this. What is the variable here? Because its not the source its the different setups youre using. I've played that song on my 7.1 presonus studio speakers, my atmos enabled tablet, my phone, and my old stereo hifi and have been unable to recreate what you're describing. ...

Where did you find the Atmos source of the mixes? Because if it’s just stereo source then all this talk about 7.1 systems and atmos devices is irrelevant. Besides a great mix will translate well across different equipment and certainly a solo part should be well up front no matter what device you are listening.

Couple more points about the mix itself, check out the panning of the drums, the toms are panned the opposite compared to On the Night, a simplest thing to match if you want to make mixes cohesive. And just compare the mix of I think i love you too much to the mix of The bug, there’s just so much more energy and drive in the mix of the Bug.

I’ve never been a fan of mixes by Guy, they are flat and boring but of course this is my personal taste. It just would have been great to have someone else to mix these.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 08:27:01 AM by olazabalrok »

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2023, 02:33:14 PM »

Where did you find the Atmos source of the mixes? Because if it’s just stereo source then all this talk about 7.1 systems and atmos devices is irrelevant. Besides a great mix will translate well across different equipment and certainly a solo part should be well up front no matter what device you are listening.

Couple more points about the mix itself, check out the panning of the drums, the toms are panned the opposite compared to On the Night, a simplest thing to match if you want to make mixes cohesive. And just compare the mix of I think i love you too much to the mix of The bug, there’s just so much more energy and drive in the mix of the Bug.

I’ve never been a fan of mixes by Guy, they are flat and boring but of course this is my personal taste. It just would have been great to have someone else to mix these.

Completely agree on everything you said  :thumbsup

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 38 queries.