Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130769 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2023, 04:08:48 PM »
Getting cheaper already?
https://thesoundofvinyl.com/collections/dire-straits-mark-knopfler/products/the-live-albums-1978-1992-vinyl-12lp-box-set

More reasonable but I think I'll go CD for this. To be honest I've been disappointed with quite a few new vinyl pressings lately. It seems they can't make records like they used to!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2023, 04:19:32 PM »
Some of the info given is inconsistant. Yes, the omitted "Fade to Black" in the new tracks for On the Night, but also:

For Alchemy, it talks about "extended versions" of TR, Solid Rock and Going Hone. What is there to "extend" for theses songs ? They are already compete ! the only song to "extend" is Portbobello Belle (and more because it had been "reduced" in the first place on the MFN compilation).
In the case of Going Home could be the little speech of Mark, saying goodbye, that is present in the DVD but not in the CD. Telegraph Road could be a version from Paris that has a longer solo than the Alchemy one. Solid Rock i have no clue

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2023, 04:22:43 PM »
I'm waiting for information from direstraits.com
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2023, 05:11:12 PM »
Wonderful News. Finally, yeah.

At the End of Mark's career I am sure we will get more.
More Live, More Outtakes and maybe the STP Madrid concert on Blu-Ray one day.
He has to make some additional money. No touring anymore
Now he does not care anymore.
Love will find a Way

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2023, 06:16:30 PM »
Great news this release! Looking forward to it

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2023, 06:21:19 PM »
Whooooo! Such great news! Can't wait  :o
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2023, 06:53:28 PM »
https://store.direstraits.com/product-category/live-1978-1992/

There's Fade To Black

Everything looks beautiful. On The Night discs are blue :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 06:59:19 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2023, 07:20:33 PM »
I want to start this message saying this is absolutely awesome and it's something we all been dreaming about and even more!

And now, the picky fan inside me, wants to write the following  ;D:

I assume that it was Guy the one in charge as he said something about this in his forum long ago.

- ALCHEMY

We don't have information about what date they choose the songs, if it's the 23rd of July in its entirity, a mix with the 22nd, or the 22nd in their entirity.

Why this doubt? We know Guy had the tapes of the 22nd available as he used them to extract "Portobello" for the new MFN compilation, so if he had them, he might had used them.

If he used the 22nd in its entirity, think about it, we will have another new Alchemy! but we won't have the old one in full...

- ON THE NIGHT

We don't know which date they used for each song, and we don't know also if Guy picked new sources for all the OTN existing songs or used the previous ones, so if it's the first case, we would have a totally new and different OTN than the one released in 1993, which would be cool!

Also if he used the previous ones, he might mixed them again so maybe they are more real and with better sound?

I miss that they included PLANET that live was a killing song. The text said they used some Paris recordings and they played that song in Paris at least twice but hey, they included WHEN IT COMES TO YOU and I THINK I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH! That's so awesome!

- LIVE AT THE BBC

I hope this time they used the correct TUNNEL from Old Grey Whistle Test and not the one from Werchert, or was it Dortmund?

- RAINBOW 79

For me this is the real GEMM of the pack as it is something totally unreleased and it has two unique moments in the DS history, it is the last concert/s of the original band (last gigs with David) and the awesome colaboration with the mighty Phil Lynnot!!!!!

Again, we don't know if they used the two nights at the Rainbow or just one of them, and according to setlist.fm, they played the nights before in Lewisham "Making Movies" live, so I always guessed they also played it at the Rainbow, as they were rehearsing the song in those days.

- VIDEO

We know that all the ALCHEMY, OTN and RAINBOW gigs were recorded in video so, can we expect them to be released as well in the future? I HOPE SO.

After years and years of complaing about re-releasing again and again the same stuff, finally someone listened to us, and whoever he/she is THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

-Newly remastered versions of Alchemy and On The Night, both of which are currently unavailable on vinyl (Alchemy was last pressed in the mid-eighties, On The Night was last pressed for the original release in 1993).

-An expanded version of the original 2LP of Alchemy to include the existing digital/CD tracklist which includes ‘Love Over Gold’ and the extended versions of ‘Telegraph Road’, ‘Solid Rock’ and ‘Going Home’, with the addition of ‘Portobello Belle’ (released on the Money For Nothing compilation in 1998) as well as the unreleased songs from the performance – ‘Industrial Disease’ and ‘Twisting By The Pool’.

An expanded version of the original 2LP of On The Night to include tracks performed during the tour which have never been released, taken from multitrack recordings of shows in Nimes, Rotterdam and Paris: ‘Tunnel Of Love, ‘Telegraph Road’, ‘Sultans Of Swing’, ‘Two Young Lovers’, ‘When it Comes To You’, ‘I Think I Love You Too Much’.

-Encores on black vinyl (remastered for Black Friday 2021)

-Licenced 1995 collection Live At The BBC

-The unreleased Dire Straits Live from the Rainbow Theatre show, 1979 – mixed by Guy Fletcher
Clear as the day

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2023, 08:26:05 PM »
I think the released stuff like OTN will just be a remaster. So probably still with dodgy MK Dalek voice sadly. But I hope I’m wrong. The unreleased material could be very different - but then it wouldn’t all stack up. So, I don’t think we’ll get a new 1992 show that feels more natural but I think we’ll get the OTN recordings mastered in a way they would do now so closer to the real thing. Wait and see!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 01:06:46 AM by pigster »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
How do we know its the full Portobello Belle? Im afraid its just the 4min version...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2023, 09:16:26 PM »
How do we know its the full Portobello Belle? Im afraid its just the 4min version...

From the link in this post:

The expanded version of the original double album Alchemy will include unreleased songs from the performance – “Industrial Disease” and “Twisting By The Pool” – as well as “Love Over Gold”, and the extended versions of “Telegraph Road”, “Solid Rock”, “Going Home” and “Portobello Belle”.

But is this true information? Hard to say. The DS com website contains very general information
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2023, 09:29:38 PM »
I can hardly believe it finally happens.

I get hope because now I know Mark is not vetoing unreleased live stuff.

Of course I miss PONO SOOOOOO much but maybe a later release will feature this gem.

PONO was performed on some selected date during the Paris residency (at least 3 nights) but I don't know if any of these were part of the recorded gig.

But at least it exist a soundboard recording and video from rehearsal so there is hope.
And maybe later we will get some OL and BIA shows.

I so delighted
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2023, 09:45:03 PM »
If you are on Instagram there is a clip from Sultans from the Rainbow and it sounds really really good.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2023, 09:50:05 PM »

There’s only Two Young Lovers and Portobello Belle on the side 4 on the LP version.
Only 10 minutes if it’s the 4 minutes long version. I would say it’s the long version !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.