Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130668 times)

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #360 on: October 06, 2023, 06:37:06 PM »
Why the hell has Guy butchered PB?
He might not be getting MFN but we need to ask him DYGI?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #361 on: October 08, 2023, 07:02:05 PM »
In fact I can't understand why this beautiful song isn't getting the treatment it always deserved, cutting the final part is absurd, someone mentioned the fact that Mark introduces a band at the end and mentions the name Mel or Alan... because of DSL... Mark announces Mel Collins in the introduction of Portobello Belle. Anyway, it's all very bizarre. :smack

Twisting by the Pool is pure fun, it's a shame a song like this was left aside, at least now many will be able to see its value.

It is possible to see how they tried to resolve the ending of Portobello Belle, another bizarre thing that could have been avoided. :disbelief
Given the length, it seems that TOL 92 is complete, with band intros, also introducing Alan Clark... So that is not the reason.
Or maybe that he hates Tommy Mandel so much? Can't believe it. Anyway Guy could then have cut the band intros but not the jam outro, that would still have been better than this...
It's very regrettable that they have all the necessary tools to respect the historical memory of the work Alchemy and they insist on sabotaging everything, a concert that historically valued being done in basically a single night, (except the end of Solid Rock) and no overdubs, (the minimum of the minimum). It's okay that Twisting by the Pool and Portobello Belle is from the first night, 07/22/83, but what was done on PB and probably on other tracks... is pure sabotage in my opinion, in bad taste to say the least. It is a shame that there is no sensitivity to respect the work Alchemy, giving it its due historical value, this is lacking on the part of those who organized this launch, it seems like a curse, even with all the technology available, but the ill will and disregard for Alchemy is bigger than I imagined.

Totally agree.  I wasn't really excited about hearing Alchemy once again; it's not my favourite tour and I've heard so often.  However, to mess the up is like some botched restoration of an historical landmark building. 

Those at the top probably thought we'll give it to one person who'll get it right, since he was in the band at the time!   :think
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »
I won't be listening to any of the songs until the box set is released so I can hear it all in full, I don't see the point as it's a concert.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #363 on: October 10, 2023, 11:19:41 AM »
I won't be listening to any of the songs until the box set is released so I can hear it all in full, I don't see the point as it's a concert.

Except "Live at the Rainbow", the others aren't a concert.

Alchemy is now a mix betwen the songs from the 23rd of July (the Alchemy originally released in 1984) mixed with songs from the 22nd of July, most of them with edited intros and/or outtros. A concert would be something that reflects all that happens in a concert. That's an edited record of songs from two concerts that as long as they are edited, don't reflect the concert.

On the night was a mix of various dates from different venues, actually every song had pieces from here and that, and this new one has that Frankestein songs plus different songs that usually were not played together in a concert (like Tunnel and Telegraph) so OTN is not a concert either.

So, for me it's perfectly fine to listen to those songs separatelly, as they are exactly that. Songs from different venues, different dates, and that are not a reflection of any concrete concert, but a mix of things.
So Long

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #364 on: October 10, 2023, 11:54:00 AM »
I view a concert as a live performance, all the other bits really don't bother me, I am one of those few who never had a problem with On The Night, maybe my concerns have changed as I have gotten older. We have to accept that we we will never get 100% of what we want from these releases.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2023, 12:03:50 PM »
I view a concert as a live performance, all the other bits really don't bother me, I am one of those few who never had a problem with On The Night, maybe my concerns have changed as I have gotten older. We have to accept that we we will never get 100% of what we want from these releases.

The thing here is that most of the times these releases are made by people who think about them as a studio work and they try to make them as they would do with a studio recording, instead of taking the live performance as it is, mix it, master it and release it.

Some of the most legendary live albums even have studio overdubs!

Alchemy claimed to be a live performance without that tricks and it sounds more like a live concert than other famous live records like "Live and dangerous" by Thin Lizzy, but in the end Alchemy had edits here and there, but at least they came all from the same gig, July 23rd at the Hammersmith, except the end of Solid rock that came from the 22nd.

OTN is really a Frankestein, and for me it always sounded like a studio record, which is logical when you think all the songs have pieces of different nights, a lot of studio work there.

The three tracks from the Rainbow 79 gig really sounds like a real live performance, I'm very much looking forward that one!
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2023, 12:16:23 PM »
this morning, I got a streaming link from universal with ALL tracks from the boxset

I can't share it obviously...

when I'll find the time, I'll listen to it and will give you some informations...

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2023, 12:44:41 PM »
this morning, I got a streaming link from universal with ALL tracks from the boxset

I can't share it obviously...

when I'll find the time, I'll listen to it and will give you some informations...

Wow! let us know your impressions soon. happy listening!!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #368 on: October 10, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »

Agree with some of that.  I think we have to allow all this to annoy us less and just enjoy our lot.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2023, 01:32:26 PM »
The three tracks from the Rainbow 79 gig really sounds like a real live performance, I'm very much looking forward that one!

On the cover of Rainbow Theater is December 21st. We can be sure that it's a concert from start to finish (I hope):)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2023, 01:33:25 PM »

Agree with some of that.  I think we have to allow all this to annoy us less and just enjoy our lot.

Oh yes, we can also enjoy it anyway, it is just that, in my case, I listen to a bootleg like a live concert, because it is what it is, but in the case of Alchemy and OTN, the experience is different as it is a product designed from a commercial point of view. In the case of the Rainbow 79, it is a live concert with all the little mistakes (at least the three songs we can listen now) so the experience is going to be more close to what we have when we listen a bootleg or we attend a concert than with Alchemy and specially OTN which is probably the further of this package to a live concert experience itself, for me.
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2023, 02:18:21 PM »
I don't have the time to listen to all now, but I managed to listen to some snippets during launch time pause

here are some infos :

Alchemy - just listened to starts/ends and only PB in "full"

- I already said what I think of butchering PB. the tansition with TOL is awful
- Mark's speech during the intro of TOL is cut like on the album version
- GH doesn't have Mark' speech neither

On The night
- TOL : I am not much found of 91-92 versions. but sounds nice. great intro with Mark saying "song from Making Movies". Due to lack of time, I must admit I just listened to the intro and breakdown. of course, the band introduction is here. duration of the song is 15:38

- when it comes to you : I like this song a lot. sounds great live. very nice solos
- fade to black : I like it. great Mark's playing imho, very "jazzy". two different keyboard solos. very nice
- ITILTM : very good intro. I prefer this version than the Knebworth one. Mark teasing the audience at the start.
- SOS : nothing special, we already knew many soundoard versions from this tour
- TR : idem
- TYL : idem

Live at the rainbow : I don't have the time to listen to it in full right now. so just listened to some snippets
sounds very nice. well mixed. all instruments are clearly audible. you can hear subtle things in David's playing
as you all know, Mark is on fire. very great playing and heartfull singing imho. talking between songs...
- I love six blade knife. great outro
- very nice versions of Lions, Once upon a time, Les Boys (great solo !) Portobello Belle, News, Gallery..
- amazing Setting me up and southbound again !
- gorgeous wild west end
- I noticed that David has his phaser effect on gallery and during the solo in southbound (and of course on whole waterline and once upon atime)
- at the start of TBTP, Matk shoot a "thank youuuu!!" like he will did futher before sultans
- songs with Phil Lynott are great
- the intro in that's allright mama sounds like freeway flyer

if you have special questions about  something particular, songs lengths, etc... I can answer you, but of course I can't share the link. it's professionnal

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »
I don't have the time to listen to all now, but I managed to listen to some snippets during launch time pause

here are some infos :

Alchemy - just listened to starts/ends and only PB in "full"

- I already said what I think of butchering PB. the tansition with TOL is awful
- Mark's speech during the intro of TOL is cut like on the album version
- GH doesn't have Mark' speech neither

On The night
- TOL : I am not much found of 91-92 versions. but sounds nice. great intro with Mark saying "song from Making Movies". Due to lack of time, I must admit I just listened to the intro and breakdown. of course, the band introduction is here. duration of the song is 15:38

- when it comes to you : I like this song a lot. sounds great live. very nice solos
- fade to black : I like it. great Mark's playing imho, very "jazzy". two different keyboard solos. very nice
- ITILTM : very good intro. I prefer this version than the Knebworth one. Mark teasing the audience at the start.
- SOS : nothing special, we already knew many soundoard versions from this tour
- TR : idem
- TYL : idem

Live at the rainbow : I don't have the time to listen to it in full right now. so just listened to some snippets
sounds very nice. well mixed. all instruments are clearly audible. you can hear subtle things in David's playing
as you all know, Mark is on fire. very great playing and heartfull singing imho. talking between songs...
- I love six blade knife. great outro
- very nice versions of Lions, Once upon a time, Les Boys (great solo !) Portobello Belle, News, Gallery..
- amazing Setting me up and southbound again !
- gorgeous wild west end
- I noticed that David has his phaser effect on gallery and during the solo in southbound (and of course on whole waterline and once upon atime)
- at the start of TBTP, Matk shoot a "thank youuuu!!" like he will did futher before sultans
- songs with Phil Lynott are great
- the intro in that's allright mama sounds like freeway flyer

if you have special questions about  something particular, songs lengths, etc... I can answer you, but of course I can't share the link. it's professionnal

Regarding the new songs, OTN has the same overall sound engineered feeling/compression of the original
or does it sound like a new recording ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 02:29:34 PM by vape68 »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2023, 02:43:55 PM »

Regarding the new songs, OTN has the same overall sound engineered feeling/compression of the original
or does it sound like a new recording ?

well I can't compare right now with the original, but switching from e.g YAYF and ITILYTM, to me it sounds like the same overall sound feeling between old and new songs

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #374 on: October 10, 2023, 02:57:57 PM »
oh and I forgot : TOL from live at the BBC is again from the Dortmund gig ("danke schön" at the start)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 38 queries.