Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130766 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2023, 01:54:20 PM »
Thanks jbaent!

I would love to believe that they remastered the original album and just suppressed the end of PB at the beginning of TOL and the end of ID at the beginning at EL, and extra clapping at beginning / ending of songs which were kind of useless. But when I see the duration of GH, it doesn't match - as if they suppressed a lot of the intro. We'll see..

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2023, 05:32:53 PM »
Thanks jbaent!

I would love to believe that they remastered the original album and just suppressed the end of PB at the beginning of TOL and the end of ID at the beginning at EL, and extra clapping at beginning / ending of songs which were kind of useless. But when I see the duration of GH, it doesn't match - as if they suppressed a lot of the intro. We'll see..

At first I thought they took the audio of the dvd release, remixed by Chuck Ainlay, hence the shorter duration of the songs, but they also did a strange thing changing the order of Solid rock and TR because they were unable to put it on a lp side so they clearly edited tracks to fill on lp sides so I'm not sure anymore which version they used... and they did the master thinking on the lp version and the cd and digital copied that master, which is unfair to me.

I would had made a digital master with everything without cuts, as digital allows me, then a second version for cd that still would had allowed me to put all songs without cuts, just a fade out on last song on cd1 and fade in on first song on cd2 that wouldn't cut any song as all fits naturally.. and then made an edit for the lp, with the edits you need to fit.

That's would had been a work made with care and love.

What was done was a work to save time and only do one edit, the one with cuts and edits, and condemn the other formats to inherit that cuts and edits when the other formats would had support all content. But when you need to save time or have a short budget, that's what you do.
100% agree.
And even with the LP constraints, this could have been much better. Lots of wasted space on the LPs, the full version of PB would have fit with no problem on the side!

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2023, 08:54:28 PM »
Maybe i'm in the minority but one of my favourite DS songs of all time is "It Never Rains." Astonishing song. Lyrics are fantastic and it's Knopfler at his best painting a picture, the organ is beautiful and the mood change is exhilarating. Great guitars, Hal Lindes more prominant towards the end with what sounds like a guitar/synth sound, great keyboards and synths from Clark and a fantastic guitar solo... with some superb and quite rare wah wah work from Knopfler. Almost Michael Schenker-esque. I know there are some versions of this song that exist live as some of you kindly posted links to it throughout the years. A shame however it wasn't played a lot more live at concerts and a proper recording of it was made.

Best Wishes.

one of my fav too

I'm also a big fan of It Never Rains, it has been one of my favourites since I first started listening to DS. I listened to the full Love Over Gold album last night and thought that the end of the guitar solo and the combination of organ and piano parts that follow particularly stood out. From the lyrical portion of the song the 'you were just a rollercoaster memory' verse is my favourite as it marks the point where the music and lyrics become noticeably more intense. I believe it was included in the setlist in the initial Love Over Gold tour shows in 1982 but didn't return when the band resumed touring in 1983.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2023, 11:52:52 PM »
The MFN intro is pointless on audio only.

If you haven’t seen the video you will have no clue what is happening, you will just think his guitar is broken or something.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineChrisGlastonbury

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2023, 01:10:18 AM »
Maybe i'm in the minority but one of my favourite DS songs of all time is "It Never Rains." Astonishing song. Lyrics are fantastic and it's Knopfler at his best painting a picture, the organ is beautiful and the mood change is exhilarating. Great guitars, Hal Lindes more prominant towards the end with what sounds like a guitar/synth sound, great keyboards and synths from Clark and a fantastic guitar solo... with some superb and quite rare wah wah work from Knopfler. Almost Michael Schenker-esque. I know there are some versions of this song that exist live as some of you kindly posted links to it throughout the years. A shame however it wasn't played a lot more live at concerts and a proper recording of it was made.

Best Wishes.

One of my favourites also; feels under appreciated in general.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2023, 07:47:50 AM »
"It nevera rains" is great but it was played only during the 82 gigs so it wasn't played in any of the recorded gigs of Paris or Hammersmith, so no chance to have it in the box.
So Long

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2023, 08:04:28 AM »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2023, 08:14:38 AM »
The MFN intro is pointless on audio only.

If you haven’t seen the video you will have no clue what is happening, you will just think his guitar is broken or something.
Not completely.
Even without the "on strike" joke, their is still a (small) introduction musical sentence that could have been kept.
Of course nothing like the full intro on the album or the BIA tour...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2023, 01:27:04 PM »
"That's would had been a work made with care and love.

What was done was a work to save time and only do one edit, the one with cuts and edits, and condemn the other formats to inherit that cuts and edits when the other formats would had support all content. But when you need to save time or have a short budget, that's what you do"

And it's a little weird. Because this box is aimed mainly at fans. And fans are always more critical and meticulous. Guy Fletcher knows this on his forum.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2023, 03:33:03 PM »
I think we've lost the Doc, it's radio silence, he's been taking criticism for a few pages now, he hasn't even replied on his forum since the announcement, we've been rough on him I think. Let's not forget that he's our link with Mark and the rest of the DS industry, I'm happy to have and listen to what's coming out soon, even if there are seconds missing here and there  :)
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2023, 03:37:27 PM »
I think we've lost the Doc, it's radio silence, he's been taking criticism for a few pages now, he hasn't even replied on his forum since the announcement, we've been rough on him I think. Let's not forget that he's our link with Mark and the rest of the DS industry, I'm happy to have and listen to what's coming out soon, even if there are seconds missing here and there  :)
For Portobello Belle, the missing time is over 8 minutes...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2023, 03:41:35 PM »
Not six?
Clear as the day

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2023, 03:42:33 PM »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2023, 03:44:43 PM »
On aLCHEMY it has 13.17 the new version is over 7 minutes long if I remember correctly.
Clear as the day

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2023, 03:48:15 PM »
On aLCHEMY it has 13.17 the new version is over 7 minutes long if I remember correctly.
On Alchemy, PB has exactly 0.00....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.