Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130782 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2023, 04:11:32 PM »
(and TR and SR well ordered)

It's impossible because first there was Telegraph Road and then Solid Rock. I don't understand this change.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2023, 04:43:29 PM »

It's impossible because first there was Telegraph Road and then Solid Rock. I don't understand this change.

Maybe for correct fit on LP
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2023, 04:49:52 PM »

I think the change is possible if they have edited it with Fade In and Fade Out on some songs, creating an artificial live performance. Obviously on that tour SR was never before TR, that's why I don't make sense, except in the vinyl edition due to space problems on one side, but not in the digital editions (and Apple Music shows it).

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
But CD version also has this order:

Solid Rock
Telegraph Road

:disbelief
Clear as the day

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2023, 05:02:01 PM »
But CD version also has this order:

Solid Rock
Telegraph Road

:disbelief

Please, anybody can ask this to Guy? I asked a lot this days ago...

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2023, 05:04:45 PM »
Actually, after so many pages of discussion, I also agree that the ending of PB is not that interesting for the general public.

The general public aren't interested in paying £200 for a box set so this release is really for the true fanatics.
Yes the cd box is nearer to £40 but cds no longer make any kind of profit so any profit will come from streaming and the vinyl box.
This kind of set isn't aimed at the general public so any kind of editing is only going to affect the true fans who would only want the FULL song.Unless he was instructed by someone to edit the song Guy messed up here.
Unfortunately we have learned as DS/MK fans that we get short changed and that doesn't look like (ever) changing.
I hope the BIA 40th anniversary box set is handled with more care and attention to detail.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2023, 05:25:49 PM »
about PB :

several people find that Mel/Mark's duel isn't that worth. ok, matter of taste, each on his own

but the song outro has also another important thing : the band introduction and the link to the TOL intro.

imho, one important thing about musical arrangements during this period was that several songs were linked, and I find it's a shame to not keep that

it's like on OTN you would have a fade out a the end of HF, and then a fade in at the start of R&J. It's a non-sense muscially-wise imho

I hope the link between ID and EL is on this new release.... but maybe Guy chose that it wasn't worth to keep it... ::)

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2023, 05:26:29 PM »
I have been analyzing all the durations (see link) and I dare to say that:

-ID is going to be united as it should to EL (checked with 23th audience night).
-PB is going to have a fade out, obviously, although there was the possibility of linking with the TOL synthesizers, but I think that won't happen.
-TOL will start just seconds before the sax entry, when the xylophone synth no longer sounds and only the strings synthesizer (actually 0:28 on Alchemy CD 1984 818 243-2).

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/live-1978-1992-dire-straits/dpw8ibf93z20a

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »
about PB :

several people find that Mel/Mark's duel isn't that worth. ok, matter of taste, each on his own

but the song outro has also another important thing : the band introduction and the link to the TOL intro.

imho, one important thing about musical arrangements during this period was that several songs were linked, and I find it's a shame to not keep that

it's like on OTN you would have a fade out a the end of HF, and then a fade in at the start of R&J. It's a non-sense muscially-wise imho

I hope the link between ID and EL is on this new release.... but maybe Guy chose that it wasn't worth to keep it... ::)
Exactly! the right connection to TOl was finally given. However, maybe it was better before that the song was missing. There's no point in inserting and cutting it now. absurd choice! I will repeat it endlessly! now the omelette is done.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2023, 06:00:24 PM »
about PB :

Exactly! the right connection to TOl was finally given. However, maybe it was better before that the song was missing. There's no point in inserting and cutting it now. absurd choice! I will repeat it endlessly! now the omelette is done.

Not true. Wait and listen... I'm mixing 22th PB and 23th TOL

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2023, 06:19:10 PM »
about PB :

Its veryr easy to connect, you only need a point that is exactly in both recordings like a drum crash or something to paste both recordings and you won't notice anything. Actually in the Portobello outtro and TOL intro there are some drums sounds that end with a microsilence. That's the perfect point to paste both recordings.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:21:50 PM by jbaent »
So Long

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2023, 06:21:15 PM »
AND THIS ONE?  :thumbsup

https://whyp.it/tracks/123520/crossfade-2?token=G6X0c

Good work but the TOL part needs a fade in to cross-fade correctly with the end of Portobello.

It's a good way to show that, without having the best studio recording in the world such things can be made, imagine what you can do in Mark's studio!
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2023, 06:23:14 PM »
There's too much editing in all this. Too little naturalness.
Clear as the day

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2023, 06:24:17 PM »
another one

https://whyp.it/tracks/123523/crossfade-3?token=dZbly

5 minutes working with standard audio editor. Think on studio... don't think on quality, music is in same tone
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:26:22 PM by onceupon84 »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.