Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 130836 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2023, 07:39:50 PM »
Wait for the 50th aniversary edition and you will get a super deluxe boxset.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2023, 08:01:13 PM »
I thought there would be a full aLCHEMY documentary. Guy why?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2023, 08:13:49 PM »
I have to say that the 3 songs from Rainbow theatre sounds really great and looking forward to hear the rest of that show. And also the extra OTN tracks i am really curious to hear them even the extra Alchemy songs.
I am really happy that they are opening the vaults with these extra songs and we are even getting more probably

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2023, 08:21:04 PM »
Indeed sad it’s only an extended intro to PB instead of full length… Great song and the fade out on MFN compilation always made me eager how it really ends. We do have some recording, but in terms of audio quality it’s so-so.

I wonder if, after a DS studio box, MK solo studio box and DS live box, a MK live box will ever see the light of day. I’d love a proper full length GH tour gig with rarities as No can do, Water of love, Long highway, Are we in trouble now AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT EXCLUSE OR CUT OFF DONE WITH BONAPARTE BECAUSE OF THE BAND INTRO. ;D ;D ;D

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2023, 09:26:26 PM »
I think that the judgment whether PB Live in 1983 was too long is something unnecessary, personal taste is subjective, however there are those who don't like it, there are so many others who love it and we are talking about art, the band rehearsed and performed PB that way, reaching 15:30 minutes long, like one of the nights in Paris in June 1983, that's how they did it and delivered it to the public. Without a doubt it was one of the highlights of the show, the band was introduced at the end of the duet between Mark and Mel, that was beautiful. I really believe that out of respect for the art, the band's artistic work at that historical moment, in respect for the historical memory of what is probably Dire Straits' most legendary show, they should now deliver a more worthy product and with the height and weight that the Alchemy has it for the Dire Straits story.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:31:20 PM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »
I think that the judgment whether PB Live in 1983 was too long is something unnecessary, personal taste is subjective, however there are those who don't like it, there are so many others who love it and we are talking about art, the band rehearsed and performed PB that way, reaching 15:30 minutes long, like one of the nights in Paris in June 1983, that's how they did it and delivered it to the public. Without a doubt it was one of the highlights of the show, the band was introduced at the end of the duet between Mark and Mel, that was beautiful. I really believe that out of respect for the art, the band's artistic work at that historical moment, in respect for the historical memory of what is probably Dire Straits' most legendary show, they should now deliver a more worthy product and with the height and weight that the Alchemy has it for the Dire Straits story.

My thoughts exactly.

As I said, this is simple. When you release a concert, just release it from the first nanosecond to the last. There are no more space constraints nowadays, so don't think. Don't judge. Don't cut. Don't remove. Let the listener decide whether to skip or fast forward a track or not, this is entirely subjective.

I don't give a sh** about Guy's opinion on a given performance. All the more that he was not even part of the band in the Alchemy era. His job is to extract, remaster, mix the content in the best possible conditions, using his technical skills, like the fine job he has done for the Rainbow 79 gig. Not to decide what we have the right to listen or not. I hate censorship, and this is a form of censorship.

Some people have expressed here that the PB jamming is not their thing. You have every right to feel this way, and nobody is forcing you to listen to 15 minutes of such jamming. But please be respecful of people who feel otherwise. Releasing the entire PB would not take anything away from you, you could just skip it. The reverse is not true.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2023, 10:01:58 PM »
Indeed sad it’s only an extended intro to PB instead of full length… Great song and the fade out on MFN compilation always made me eager how it really ends. We do have some recording, but in terms of audio quality it’s so-so.

I wonder if, after a DS studio box, MK solo studio box and DS live box, a MK live box will ever see the light of day. I’d love a proper full length GH tour gig with rarities as No can do, Water of love, Long highway, Are we in trouble now AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT EXCLUSE OR CUT OFF DONE WITH BONAPARTE BECAUSE OF THE BAND INTRO. ;D ;D ;D
Well this audience recording of PB has outstanding quality. Almost sounds like a soundboard. Anyway given Guy's censorship, this is the best you'll ever get, so enjoy it...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2023, 10:40:54 PM »

:clap :clap :thumbsup

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2023, 10:43:13 PM »
Only now did I realize that in the Streaming service, in this case, I use Deezer, they changed the TR version in the release of the MFN compilation (2022) and added the live remix version of the 1988 CD, has anyone noticed?

I don't know if I'm mistaken, but it seems that Guy had claimed that he had problems with the master of the MFN collection from 1988 and that's why the PB version from Paris in June 83 was not used, putting the version from 22 July 83, but suddenly it appears this live remix version of TR, was it from the 1988 master when the remix was made...?

By the way, what an exquisite job they did on this version, truly incredible, I hope they do something of this nature with all the Alchemy tracks.

It seems to me that some work was done that further enhanced this remix made in 1988, I'm just listening to it now, and that's what it seems to me

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2023, 10:53:52 PM »
Only now did I realize that in the Streaming service, in this case, I use Deezer, they changed the TR version in the release of the MFN compilation (2022) and added the live remix version of the 1988 CD, has anyone noticed?

I don't know if I'm mistaken, but it seems that Guy had claimed that he had problems with the master of the MFN collection from 1988 and that's why the PB version from Paris in June 83 was not used, putting the version from 22 July 83, but suddenly it appears this live remix version of TR, was it from the 1988 master when the remix was made...?

By the way, what an exquisite job they did on this version, truly incredible, I hope they do something of this nature with all the Alchemy tracks.

It seems to me that some work was done that further enhanced this remix made in 1988, I'm just listening to it now, and that's what it seems to me

The tenth track on the 1988 MFN CD is Telegraph Road (Live) (Remix) and is exactly 12:00 min, the same as the one on the 2022 version, previously, a studio version with a "frankstain" introduction and ending without fadeout.

Anyone who can, please listen to this version of Telegraph Road (Live) (Remix) from the aforementioned MFN (2022) on Streaming and compare it with the version released in 1988, apparently there is some improvement. If this happened, then they have the masters and could have included the original version recorded in Paris, June 83, which is undoubtedly even more beautiful than the one from July 22, 83.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 10:56:05 PM by Brunno Nunes »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2023, 11:10:48 PM »
we knew that Marks' decisions were always a bit weird regarding setlist, releases, etc...
we knew that record companies made weird decisions too, regarding diierents versions of the releases (boxset, bonus tracks, etc...)
we knew that MK's managment was amateurish regarding communication, social media, tour venues, etc...

but know, above all of that, we have Guy Fletcher who decides what is "good" or "bad" performance of Dire Straits, before he was in the band !!!

I feel a lot of anger against him

I can't understand his decisions. I don't care having SOS or TR from 92, we have plenty soundoard recordings from this tour
but we don't have any soundboard recording from LOG tour except Alchemy. And when we finnaly could listen to a proper recording of a song I am wating for almost 20 years, he chooses to cut the outro !! :disbelief

I lost all hope with this DS catalog. there's always someone who find how to ruin the thing

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2023, 11:18:27 PM »
we knew that Marks' decisions were always a bit weird regarding setlist, releases, etc...
we knew that record companies made weird decisions too, regarding diierents versions of the releases (boxset, bonus tracks, etc...)
we knew that MK's managment was amateurish regarding communication, social media, tour venues, etc...

but know, above all of that, we have Guy Fletcher who decides what is "good" or "bad" performance of Dire Straits, before he was in the band !!!

I can't understand his decisions. I don't care having SOS or TR from 92, we have plenty soundoard recordings from this tour
but we don't have any soundboard recording from LOG tour except Alchemy. And when we finnaly could listen to a proper recording of a song I am wating for almost 20 years, he chooses to cut the outro !! :disbelief

I lost all hope with this DS catalog. there's always someone who find how to ruin the thing
100% agree.
I could have accepted that Mark veto some releases as he has done in the past.
But Guy? Judging performances he didn't contribute to in any way? C'mon!

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2023, 11:45:08 PM »

100% agree.
I could have accepted that Mark veto some releases as he has done in the past.
But Guy? Judging performances he didn't contribute to in any way? C'mon!

I do understand the frustration but this is all a bit harsh and disrespectful to Guy.  I respect that you want to hear the full tracks, but please also appreciate that this is the best thing that has happened in a couple of decades release wise for DS fans and probably as a result of Guy's interface with fans.

He's the Exec Producer and this isn't a bootleg, this is an official live release, and you have to expect even a certain amount of artistic intervention or when to hit the fader when something falls below the quality threshold musically.  The bar is set by the producer but I'm quite happy with that. He's Marks right hand man.

The alternative - that we all faced just last week - is we get nothing but repressed old albums. I don't want that.

Ps Still fascinated at the strength of debate on a release we've not even heard yet fully

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2023, 12:30:37 AM »
Open a petition for a full length release of PB !

And I promise to consider about signing it.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2023, 06:28:49 AM »
Thankfully the icing on the cake for me is Rainbow Theater 79, as it will always be with anything from the original 77/79 lineup, for me it's my particular priority, however, I'm still grateful for the other releases of course, even though they have fully capable of doing something really brilliant and worthy with the historical importance of Alchemy and On the Night and they didn't do it, just out of "laziness", they opted for convenience! :-\

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.