Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 127682 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1365 on: January 13, 2024, 01:27:27 AM »
Great, glad you have a set with no issues, enjoy!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #1366 on: January 13, 2024, 03:03:09 AM »
Bringing Paul Franklin along for the tour, as good a player as he is, has always been somewhat puzzling. He did not seem a logical choice for DS. It seemed that Mark wanted to listen to his pedal steel, and perhaps jam a bit with him, but that country vibe felt a bit off.

This also created the issue of having (too?) many players on stage, all of whom needing something to do (a sax player playing tambourine, etc.). Listening to Telegraph Road, one is struck by the number of different instruments used for soloing, and it's hard not to think that "that used to be a distorted guitar".

I agree and disagree.
Paul was one of the best things about the show (for me). He wasn't 'country', he could solo in any genre as well as anyone on stage, he could play Be-Bop jazz on pedal steel. I think Mark had him there because he was an outstanding musician he respected, also because it would be hard to play some of the OES tracks without him (You and Your Friend). Paul's solo on Walk Of Life was always a highlight for me.
I don't think Phil brought anything other than solid rhythm guitar.
Much as I loved Danny - nice guy, amazing player - I don't think you needed percussion on every song, nor someone doubling up on cymbal crashes, tom fills etc.
I totally agree with you though, it would have been amazing to have the smallest unit playing on some songs, and only add players where they were needed. Instead, it WAS a wall of sound, with all nine people playing on every song (except the first half of Sultans).
I’ve always wondered why a rock band needs percussion, and so many musicians on stage. The Knebworth 90 concert has so many people on stage at the end I reckon my 11 year old son could have played on stage and got away with it. Seems to be more Ego than musicality.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #1367 on: January 13, 2024, 10:19:14 AM »
I’ve always wondered why a rock band needs percussion, and so many musicians on stage.

To be able to reproduce complex music on the albums live?  :think It's not uncommon for bands to use additional musicians and singers hidden behind the stage, so I think it's cool that Mark and DS wanted to have them all on stage.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1368 on: January 13, 2024, 11:03:14 AM »

I’ve always wondered why a rock band needs percussion, and so many musicians on stage. The Knebworth 90 concert has so many people on stage at the end I reckon my 11 year old son could have played on stage and got away with it. Seems to be more Ego than musicality.

Because studios now have limitless tracks available, so guitars are triple tracked, bands hire backing singers, percussion is added.
Knebworth was a charity event, with dozens of musicians donating their time for free. You end up with massed musicians on stage at the end because it's fun, camaraderie, not because they are needed.
I actually thought Chris (sax), Danny (perc) and Paul (pedal steel) were the best thing about the OES tour, but yeah, I think it would have been better if they weren't all playing all of the time. Light and shade.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1369 on: January 13, 2024, 11:59:54 AM »
Percussion is severely under appreciated. You wouldn’t believe how many classic records have the tambourine for example mixed way up, you don’t really think about but it makes things sound better.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1370 on: January 14, 2024, 10:57:26 AM »
I actually thought Chris (sax), Danny (perc) and Paul (pedal steel) were the best thing about the OES tour, but yeah, I think it would have been better if they weren't all playing all of the time. Light and shade.

I could not agree more.

And Mark from 2010 onward has ended doing the same mistake with his own solo band.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #1371 on: January 14, 2024, 03:37:21 PM »
No, the best thing about the OES tour was the combination of bombastic arrangements and Mark's out-of-this-world guitar playing  ;D

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #1372 on: January 14, 2024, 09:48:51 PM »
From memory we barely did a soundcheck once we transitioned to the open air stadiums (European spring and summer), with the exception of Paris, Nimes and Rotterdam where we sound checked extensively for the benefit of the live album and film sound crew.
Interesting, since I've always felt that official live recordings (not only DS or MK but any other artists) are always better played than an "average" concert. I don't want to go into the previously debated "overdubs" thing again, but do pro musicians pay a special attention to smaller details when the band is recorded for a live album? I mean, better focus, better solos, better energy, more smiles (if being filmed...) etc., which overall gives a "better show"? Thanks @ChrisW

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1373 on: January 15, 2024, 09:34:11 AM »
I think two things.
Official live releases are recorded over more than one show generally. So the best version of each song from any show is chosen.
Second, overdubs are done. Also, audio can be moved, retuned.
On a major tour you tend to lose yourself in the long shows, so I don't think you play any differently, maybe slightly fewer risks?

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #1374 on: January 16, 2024, 04:01:57 AM »
One thing I'm curious about is if the version of Wild theme that is included on On the night was an old idea rehearsed in 1991 or if it was an arrangement that was worked on before the European leg of 1992?

Not all shows were taped (or are known to have been taped, anyway) from the audience, and apart from a different version done during the first couple of shows in 1991 it does not seem to appear until May '92.

OfflineJimbo

• Guitar George
« Reply #1375 on: February 23, 2024, 04:47:12 PM »
I think two things.
Official live releases are recorded over more than one show generally. So the best version of each song from any show is chosen.
Second, overdubs are done. Also, audio can be moved, retuned.
On a major tour you tend to lose yourself in the long shows, so I don't think you play any differently, maybe slightly fewer risks?
Great Chris Whitten.
Just yesterday I saw a live show in Nimes from 1992 where the drums played for many minutes.
Nice shots, it's the tour I had seen in three dates (Munich and 2 in Milan).
One of DS's fortunes was having 3 substantially different drummers (Pick's jazz-swing, Terry's r&r and Chris's groove).

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1376 on: March 11, 2024, 07:25:59 PM »
Finally working my way through the box.

The vocals on the “new” tracks on OTN sound different to the “old” ones, adding credence to my long held suspicion that MK re-recorded his vocals for the original album.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #1377 on: March 11, 2024, 08:26:57 PM »
Possibly. But I am sceptical. I always thought he couldn't be arsed to work on that album and let Guy doing everything. But I agree: Mark's vocals were the biggest let-down when I listened to it for the first time, together with Sultans missing. If he really re-recorded the vocals, the result was a desaster.

LE
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:31:28 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #1378 on: March 11, 2024, 08:34:09 PM »
I know what you mean but I think the vocals are just processed differently on the original OTN

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #1379 on: March 11, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »
Surely the drums sound bigger on the original OTN, so lots of mixing, reverb, etc., work there probably.

For re-recorded singing, please suggest any instance where vocals and video do not match.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:39:33 PM by Matchstickman »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.