Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 113311 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1230 on: December 27, 2023, 02:33:10 PM »
Well, I have plans to buy the vinyl live box in January, so one more sold  :lol ;D

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1231 on: December 27, 2023, 03:29:06 PM »
Is Live at the BBC definitely from multi tracks?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1232 on: December 27, 2023, 03:30:38 PM »
There are no new CD copies of this available on UK Amazon which suggests it has sold well.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1233 on: December 27, 2023, 05:13:05 PM »

I would think so. The BBC had fully operational studios with multi-track tape machines and mixing desks.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1234 on: December 27, 2023, 06:16:27 PM »

As far as I know it comes from original BBC reels so I guess they are. Guy only mentioned Tunnel being mono, however that record was just remastered, not remixed.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1235 on: December 27, 2023, 06:29:10 PM »
According to Wikipedia (which isn't always accurate), most of Live At The BBC was from an Old Grey Whistle Test broadcast.
Tunnel of Love came from Westphalen Hall, Dortmund, which if I remember correctly was the venue used for Rockpalast (hence maybe mono)?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1236 on: December 27, 2023, 06:43:32 PM »
According to Wikipedia (which isn't always accurate), most of Live At The BBC was from an Old Grey Whistle Test broadcast.
Tunnel of Love came from Westphalen Hall, Dortmund, which if I remember correctly was the venue used for Rockpalast (hence maybe mono)?
Yes, Dortmund 80. Not Rockpalast but Rockpop. And yes, mono, too bad, although better a good mono recording than a bad stereo one. At least Dormund is properly tuned, which is not the case of Werchter 81, which is stereo but sounds horrible...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1237 on: December 27, 2023, 06:44:58 PM »
Yes, Dortmund 80. Not Rockpalast but Rockpop. And yes, mono, too bad, although better a good mono recording than a bad stereo one. At least Dormund is properly tuned, which is not the case of Werchter 81, which is stereo but sounds horrible...

Funny you say that. I listened to Live at the BBC today for the first time in 25 years or something and to my ears MK’s guitar sounded out of tune on TOL.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1238 on: December 27, 2023, 06:45:54 PM »

Guy said that apparently the sound came from the TV camera. If I remember well.

The rest of the live at the BBC comes from a live concert recorded in London, at the Paris Theatre and broadcasted live at the BBC radio, not at Whistle Test.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 06:48:05 PM by jbaent »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1239 on: December 27, 2023, 06:46:52 PM »

Funny you say that. I listened to Live at the BBC today for the first time in 25 years or something and to my ears MK’s guitar sounded out of tune on TOL.
Yes indeed Mark in out of tune at the end of TOL, but that's a performance issue, not a recording issue. For Werchter I believe the performance was better, but the mix and the tempo are just horrible...

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #1240 on: December 27, 2023, 06:56:24 PM »

To my ears, Mark guitar on Six Blade Knife from Rainbow Theater is out of tune too.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #1241 on: December 28, 2023, 12:02:33 AM »
Guys, on the question of multitracks, you'd be amazed at what can be achieved in the studio these days.

I just spent a week in my little studio doing a project for a local special needs school involving the use of original music (80s pop/rock) with all the instrumental elements separated by A.I.

One of the kids wanted just the drums from we will rock you. Another just a bass line from aha take on me.

If I get time in the next month or so I'll run something like Sydney or Mandela through my kit and see what results I can get. 18 months of using various iterations of isotope rx10 and I can't find fault with it.

I can't see why this technique couldn't be used as a basis for an official DS release....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1242 on: December 28, 2023, 01:33:58 AM »
Guys, on the question of multitracks, you'd be amazed at what can be achieved in the studio these days.

I just spent a week in my little studio doing a project for a local special needs school involving the use of original music (80s pop/rock) with all the instrumental elements separated by A.I.

One of the kids wanted just the drums from we will rock you. Another just a bass line from aha take on me.

If I get time in the next month or so I'll run something like Sydney or Mandela through my kit and see what results I can get. 18 months of using various iterations of isotope rx10 and I can't find fault with it.

I can't see why this technique couldn't be used as a basis for an official DS release....

That day will come.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1243 on: December 28, 2023, 02:18:16 AM »
The question: is do you want it?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1244 on: December 28, 2023, 08:09:51 AM »

Guy said they used it to separate tracks of "where do you think you are going" from the MFN compilation, as the archivist couldn't find the multitracks of it. Guy had to mix it in Atmos so he used a software, probably AI, to do it. He said it did the job but the results are not what he really needs.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.