Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell Interview  (Read 29881 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Re: Ed Bicknell Interview
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2024, 05:40:12 PM »
From the last podcast I understood it was that they looked at things in different ways, like when Ed wanted MK to do a lot of promotion but MK didn't wanted, and ended doing even more with PCM...

I just went back to double check this.

Ed says that MK "agreed" to do all the promo appearances.

Ed set them all up.

Then MK said he didn't want to do them anymore, because he didn't want to be a "public figure".

Then they had a meeting, MK said something that really offended Ed, and they went their separate ways.

Then MK went and did all the promo anyway.

Yeah, the real reason must be the "personal stuff". It always is, isn't it? When you criticize someone professionally but reassure them that you still like them as a person, that's never a problem. I'm sure Ed will tell the world one day what exactly happened between them. Unfortunately, Mark never will, so we'll only get one side of the story.

Offlinekempston_joystick

• Guitar George
« Reply #286 on: June 10, 2024, 08:33:27 PM »
Yeah, the real reason must be the "personal stuff". It always is, isn't it? When you criticize someone professionally but reassure them that you still like them as a person, that's never a problem. I'm sure Ed will tell the world one day what exactly happened between them. Unfortunately, Mark never will, so we'll only get one side of the story.

I think the "real reason" is exactly what Ed said it was. The relationship had run its course on both a personal and business level, and it was time to move on following a long and successful career together.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #287 on: June 10, 2024, 09:06:02 PM »
Well, it seems that at least they're still on speaking terms.
Thanks to Ed, for the time you put into answering all these questions! Not a lot of ex-managers would do that, thirty years later.
What I found shocking is the story about those demotapes. MK has really been unlucky a few times, having the guitar stolen, then the tapes, and wasn't there also a laptop that disappeared on tour or something?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #288 on: June 10, 2024, 09:39:31 PM »
Would like to know from Ed is there are any other multirack live tapes or there we don't know about.  Eg like The Rainbow which we only discovered when the box set came out.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2024, 11:06:55 PM »
I wonder what was on the tapes, it seems like the demos we all know were a part of it?

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2024, 12:31:22 AM »
Thank you jbaent for your messages from Ed.
I remember my surprise that "The Lily Of The West" was on Golden Demos.
Those were fantastic times. You could officially buy “Golden Demos” in the store. Today it's impossible.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 12:34:00 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2024, 08:41:06 AM »
Yesterday when I answered Ed to thank him for sending me that message and allowing me to post it here, I slipped some other comments and questions, which I know I shouldn't but as Ed was so kind it felt natural for me, maybe I was pusihing my luck too far but in the contrary, Ed was again very very kind and answered me as kind and funny than in the previous mails and allowed me to post his comments.

I know they would read weird out of context but this is what he told me, I hope you find it interesting. I thanked him for provinding as with accurate information as we always had to rely on articles on magazines, and things in this or that web site, and he answered me the following:

I understand your difficulty with source material and yes, much of what is written in the web is rubbish, complete nonsense. 
For instance there was never ANY discussion about a second Hillbillies record.
Not once and the tours we did after the first long one , plus the Ronnie Scott's residencies were just for fun really, nothing more ie we weren’t “promoting” anything and hardly made any money on any NHB live performances so that wasn’t a motivation.
The album sold way more than any of us expected..I think about 2.5m Worldwide ( back then) and the proceeds of that were divided 4 ways ( MK, SP, BC, GF ).
And there is nothing to “read into that” ie no subplots, no arguments ( AT ALL ) , it was never intended to be more than a “one off”.
As you have realised a good part of what I’ve sent you is an attempt to correct the “facts” BUT occasionally I can’t remember eg the Neil Jason stuff..his interview baffled me and he had no reason to make that up but what came out on BIA is as I have indicated.
You are welcome to post this comment if you want.

I also made him a little comment about John's book being too polite and sometimes not going as deep as we would had liked specially with some ex members departures, and Ed answered me this:

I was very disappointed by John’s book ( which was ghostwritten by the way ) and the numerous mistakes eg the Portland Oregon when it was Portland, Maine example I’ve quoted previously. There are many more.
But really, who cares? ( I know you lot do!)
He could easily have fact checked with me or Terry Kilburn but didn't.
Why I don't know, we are pretty friendly. 
His opinions are different than facts so on that front, good for him for expressing.
“Polite”…I can only guess that he didn't want to “offend” Mark but I don't really know.

The “departures”.
This needs a much longer response than I can do here.
Pick I’ve explained and he’s more than hinted in several You Tube interviews he’s done ,the ‘' why. “
"Personality issues" is the main one .

Hal…John’s book gives his version which is correct but there is quite a bit more which he didn't describe and I’m not going to here..I’ll save that for now.
"Personality issues " you might call it.

The Terry stuff is NOT correct.
This one is complicated because neither Terry nor I understand what happened or why he was “let go” and I’ve been trying for several months now to find out EXACTLY what went on. Chuck’s comment is mystifying.
Terry told me he did NOT play on any OES songs at all.

Jack. That is a sad tale, especially given he’s passed.
His podcast is pretty accurate I think but I wasn’t there.
He was pretty bitter about the way his friendship with Mark just disappeared and again, other than asking MK I don't know and I’m not going to do that.
It could have been handled alot better.

I will say that excluding Pick , ALL those players were “ hired sidemen” ( ditto Guy, Alan, Chris W ) and as such it was TOUR BY TOUR. It was NOT a permanent position ( Guy's did become that).

Thanks Ed by your generosity.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #292 on: June 11, 2024, 09:51:13 AM »
More helpful info, thank you both!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2024, 12:58:53 PM »
Very funny when Ed was laughing at MK going on a show hosted by a "market gardener".

(This is what he was referring to BTW)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #294 on: June 11, 2024, 01:53:46 PM »
Very funny when Ed was laughing at MK going on a show hosted by a "market gardener".

(This is what he was referring to BTW)

Well, there's a lot to be said for plants in a time of climate change. And this is a beautiful rendition of a wonderful song. Thanks for, erm, digging it out.

And thanks to Ed, yes, for being so open, even if he still has to reveal (and eventually will) what when on exactly between him and Mark. It will need to be a bit more specific than "the relationship had run its course".

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #295 on: June 11, 2024, 02:48:55 PM »
"This is the best band we've ever brought to Australia, by an enormous margin." - Ed Bicknell, 1991

https://youtu.be/4xJva5tE00Y?t=402

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #296 on: June 11, 2024, 03:40:31 PM »
"This is the best band we've ever brought to Australia, by an enormous margin." - Ed Bicknell, 1991

https://youtu.be/4xJva5tE00Y?t=402

Marketing!

It's like how every new Rolling Stones album is spun as "their best since Black and Blue" :)

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2024, 07:10:09 PM »
About Ed's comment on DS members as hired sidemen, hired "tour by tour"...

It's just that this seems so odd with someone like Terry, who played a monumental role on Alchemy and that tour, played on BIA, did the world tour, did the Mandela show... At some point, one stops being the hired help, and Terry simply cannot have been seen as such, by anybody.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2024, 08:10:09 PM »

It's just that this seems so odd with someone like Terry, who played a monumental role on Alchemy and that tour, played on BIA, did the world tour, did the Mandela show... At some point, one stops being the hired help, and Terry simply cannot have been seen as such, by anybody.

I would imagine that Ed wasn't referring to Terry's artistic role, because Terry and also Alan certainly played a major role in the band, in the studio and on stage.  Maybe it was more about money, work contracts and the like. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2024, 11:15:42 PM »

I would imagine that Ed wasn't referring to Terry's artistic role, because Terry and also Alan certainly played a major role in the band, in the studio and on stage.  Maybe it was more about money, work contracts and the like.

I think Ed is talking more in contractual terms than spirit, I.e they were on some kind of fixed fee or day rate on a tour by tour basis rather than some wider stake in royalties etc. This arrangement would have made departures more eat.

Personally I agree with the sentiment Terry was a big part of a soul of the band in the time he was involved, regardless of contractual terms

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 39 queries.