Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell Interview  (Read 37908 times)

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Ed Bicknell Interview
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2024, 09:24:24 AM »
Yes.
There were a lot of smiles on stage during the BIA tour and probably a lot of laughs. OES was pretty grim from beginning to end. Not only Mark, but Alan was also a dark presence.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2024, 04:33:09 PM »
Yes.
There were a lot of smiles on stage during the BIA tour and probably a lot of laughs. OES was pretty grim from beginning to end. Not only Mark, but Alan was also a dark presence.

So much more impressive knowing this, that you guys gave us such superb live experiences back in 1992. Knowing that the working experience was not exactly a fun place to be. I would never have thought that back then, it was hidden very well.   
Cheers Peter

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2024, 06:52:18 PM »
MK, despite his serious and reserved demeanor, must be a first-rate joker who likes to tease and laugh.

I only ever saw the serious.

Sorry to hear that, maybe it's because he wasn't happy and decided to move on?
However, as the leader of a group, I'll be responsible for making sure everyone, at least as many people as possible (because you can't please everyone), I'll make sure the mood and atmosphere at work is pleasant and bearable, at the end of the day, we don't have to be best friends, but getting along for the trip is cool! Sad.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2024, 09:06:52 PM »
Especially being so long, more than a year.
Anyway, most of us made the best of it. Many of the shows were fantastic. Fabulous arenas and stadiums, thousands of crazy enthusiastic fans.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2024, 09:33:46 AM »
Another message from Ed B:

Hi there Skid Marks,
I'm going to break my own rule and send this response, more as a thank you for the gratifying and kind comments about my previous post than anything, they were much appreciated ( and genuinely surprised me.)

There seems to be uncertainty about who played bass on the BIA trax.
After checking with Neil Dorfsman, and from my own direct observations and putting the credits together ….
John played on SFA, MFN, WOL (yes),YLT, TMTS
Tony Levin played on RATR, WW, BIA.
Neil Jason played on OW.

I’m sure you can figure out why the credits were done the way they were …..and now you know what drum bits Terry did and were kept and what Omar Hakim REdid in Montserrat.
That just leaves Jack RIP who put guitar synth on TMTS ( for which, incidentally, M wrote a completely different set of lyrics just to entertain the crew at soundchecks ie filthy, disgusting, REALLY disgusting and hilarious. ) 

Pottel is entirely correct re Chet’s personality.
The FIRST time I met him in Nashville airport, he introduced himself “ hi, ah’m Chet At At At uuurgh Atkins, sheeeeet I got me the biggest dick in N N N….Nashville. “ 
Since M and I had only just arrived I don't know how he knew that but you get the picture ( no I don’t mean of his dick). 
The absolute BEST guy.
Out there Elvis stories , a true gent RIP and a privilege to have fondled his teeth.

WOL.
I had been travelling and when I got back to NY I popped into the Power Station where Neil and Mark were recording his vocals ( no, not together! )
They had just put up WOL which I'd not heard before.
“ What’s this?” I said.
“ Ah, nothing, it's just a B side “ responded M. I don't recall Neil saying anything and I’ve no idea where this idea that he ‘hated” it came from ( maybe he does, he’s 99% deaf anyway…that’s good in his line of work ).
“ But that’s a hit song” …I squeaked which led to a 5 minute debate about whether it should be included on the album or not.
“ So it's good enough to be a B side but it's NOT good enough to go on the record?” I asked.
Sheer brilliance on my part, I mean COME ON …...M rarely if ever took a commercial view of his music so just as well I was around. Ha!  ( The band weren’t there so not involved ).
So it went on the album and the single A side version sold more Worldwide than MFN.
It was “inspired”  by the organ sound of The Animals…...a fave of both M’s and mine when we wuz yung, a Farfisa I think.

That’s a v kind comment Jabent. 
George Martin was one of my closest, closest friends up to his passing …a bit of a hero as a person (not because of the FABS ).
Same goes for Peter Grant ( def not because of Zeppelin but because I have a natural affinity with thugs and gangsters ).

Incidentally Pavel, how do you know Guy has lava lamps, that’ s supposed to be a secret ?

Now, today’s star prize, YOU, Pavel,  get 11 out of 10 for your comment re humour , the never stated ingredient that makes it all work or in the absence of, not work.
Absolutely crucial and we all had …well maybe not ALL, but most of us did until around 1990 when certain members of our family lost theirs big time.
Again Chris W is 100% right.
He only saw “serious” because that was all there WAS to see and Dusty Springfield’s comment is extremely perceptive.
Extremely, as is Chris’ about BIA and he wasn’t even on that !
That was a career highlight for sure.
LOTS of laughs , great lineup, great music, amazing audiences and once in a while, a girl with no teeth and a wooden leg would lurch into view and tap dance ( no offence intended to the one legged).
Camerado is right, absolutely, the BAND and CREW made OES work and became experts in disguising the sheer misery and toxicity of it and ultimately that’s why I eventually quit ( it had a quite “disturbing” effect on us all I think, mentally and physically ).
And Chris very subtly refers to another “issue” which you can now speculate about.
I hinted about that in the Tribute band bit of the previous post and I’m NOT trying to be coy, but all this really needs to go in a movie, a TV series, hardback book, paperback book,  audio book, DVD, CD, an AI version of someone who isn’t me reading it to someone who isn’t you, all for £9.99 including VAT , AND a book tour.

That’s it. I’m out of here, apologies for being a bit more serious in this one. .
The Colonel. 
No, not that one.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2024, 09:47:14 AM »
More fantastic stuff for us keyboard detectives to pick through, thanks so much to Ed and of course Chris for facilitating. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2024, 10:54:56 AM »
More fantastic stuff for us keyboard detectives to pick through, thanks so much to Ed and of course Chris for facilitating. :)

People say laughing prolongs your life. Well, Ed has already given me a couple of extra years to live, thank you very much :lol

Regarding lava lamps, you don't need to be Hercule Poirot to notice Guy loves them, besides, I studied the history of their creation and they are AWESOME. A completely analogue experience, it warms up like a tube amplifier, each of them is genuinely unique, and it looks cool. I'd like to have one.

It's a combination of attention to detail, good memory and experience of being a fan and like everybody else here doing, according to EB, "what being a fan is about".

I never make stuff up and usually back my reasoning and deduction if not completely by facts, but with at least something real, either a quote I remember, a photo, a fact or the absence of a fact because it's also always a good clue. That's why I'm so offended when I get told I live in fantasy. If anything, I steer AWAY from fantasy as much as possible.

There's no smoke without fire and simple deduction can go a long way. For instance... A severe lack of facts and first-hand evidence multiplied by the ongoing real engagement towards the band that ceased to exist 30 years ago multiplied by a lot of controversy and speculation on forums = the man who cares steps up and clears a lot of the misconceptions. Thanks for being this man who cares, Ed, and of course, Chris. You rock!

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2024, 10:55:53 AM »
I could read Ed's comments and listen to his interviews for hours. He truly has a knack for storytelling and keeping one engaged.
Write a book, Ed! I'll buy it!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2024, 11:02:32 AM »
Thanks very much Ed for writing again a post for us, we really appreciate all you've done for the band in the past and the great influence and role you had in their success, I always insist in considering you as another DS member almost of importance like MK, I'm sure that in some situations even more!

I guess that the person you are mentioning in your comments is Alan. As I posted in other thread as far as I know The Straits divided in two bands because Alan wanted to write songs for the band and play them (they got to play one titled "Jesus street" in several concerts) and Chris and Terence only wanted to play the hits. Whitten 's comment about Alan darkness during OES tour makes me think he's the one you are talking about.

That darkness comments remind me that Phil Palmer wrote in his book that Alan was a joker and did some ones during the tour like painting a wall in a Spanish hotel (Cáceres) with joke draws of certain members of the band, being MK the star of those joke draws! As Phil mentioned in his book, Alan payed very happily to the hotel for all the damage telling it worthed every penny!

I hope we can read more from you Ed, as I also told, nobody here is going to put in doubt anything you tell us, who would dare!

Also, man, you are full of stories, and have the funniest way to tell them, please think about that book of memories!
So Long

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2024, 11:07:16 AM »
I was scrolling through this post reading it and hoped it would be endlessly long. I was sad seeing it end which is not the usual reaction with long posts  ;D

Thank you very much for taking the time, really clearing things up and being so precise about everything. It seems that the combination of MK and you made a big unique world wide success unevitable. You seem to be the best thing that could have happened to the band, Ed.

Feel free to come back here whenever you like. It is such a joy to read your stuff that I would also be happy to read about anything else from you. All this knowledge about musicians, bands, the industry is so precious.

So again thanks a lot!

LE

I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2024, 11:09:03 AM »
I LOVE you, Ed. Marry me.

That was Fantastic.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2024, 11:27:37 AM »
I completely agree with others! Would be great to read more, not just about Dire Straits but your journey in general.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2024, 11:35:37 AM »
Thanks Chris and Ed.  The part regarding the recording of WOL totally makes sense and Mark still appears to be deaf at times.  Guy may be a loyal right hand but he's no EB.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2024, 11:39:25 AM »
Thanks Chris and Ed.  The part regarding the recording of WOL totally makes sense and Mark still appears to be deaf at times.  Guy may be a loyal right hand but he's no EB.

I have always thought that the style and feeling of Walk life was quite different compared to general atmosphere of the album and thus the consideration for a B side.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2024, 11:41:52 AM »
That's why I'm so offended when I get told I live in fantasy. If anything, I steer AWAY from fantasy as much as possible.

I think Ed's first message was to clear up a lot of discussion on the forum that was wide of the mark regarding the facts.
I feel I have corrected a lot of misinformation in my time at the forum, from the perspective of someone who was there for 1.5 years.
I think you can celebrate Ed's contributions this week without seeking to gloss over some past missteps.
Fact is, fans do a lot of guess work, especially when there is a dearth of fact available.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.