Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell Interview  (Read 29882 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Ed Bicknell Interview
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2024, 05:49:22 PM »
Alchemy era for me.

By 92 he was using distortion on the Pensa and it's easier to play faster under those circumstances. The clean picking on Alchemy is much more impressive to me.

fully agree  :thumbsup

OfflineShredder1977

• Guitar George
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2024, 06:19:08 PM »
Totally agree, the peak with his own bands was in the 90s, including the NHB gigs.
But for me, his best work as a guitarist only is in the late 80s, the tour with Clapton. Maybe it's because he didn't have to sing and was able to focus just on the guitar. They were all top-rate musicians on that stage, one top-class guitarist (Eric), and then there was this alien robot playing the "second" guitar - it's like something from a different galaxy! And most of the time you get the impression that he's playing with the brakes on, so that poor old Eric can keep up with him!  :lol

In my opinion, MK's late 80's playing were the worst.
That 88/89 tour with Clapton, i felt that MK was smashed by Eric.
Well, its not a competition. Really.
Mark's tone dureing these years were the worse ever, same as his playing.
Clapton was on fire, giant tone, great playing.
Mark had his kind of brilliance playing on Can't Find My Way Home, Holy Mother and more one or two countrish style songs.

People often talk how great MK was soloing on Badge.
I think just the opposite.

"Top-class guitarist"; "smashed by Eric". You're kidding, right? Eric Clapton is a severely overrated guitar player. Plain boring playing, lots of (blues) cliches, mediocre songwriting. MK was and is lightyears ahead of this mediocre player. But because someone once wrote that EC is god, you're not allowed to critcise him, right?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2024, 06:50:30 PM »
Speaking of the 96 tour, I always assumed that the reason that it was in small theatres was due to a decision by MK to scale things back.

Turns out it was because Ed was scared after booking venues that were too big in 96.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2024, 06:53:47 PM »
"Top-class guitarist"; "smashed by Eric". You're kidding, right? Eric Clapton is a severely overrated guitar player. Plain boring playing, lots of (blues) cliches, mediocre songwriting. MK was and is lightyears ahead of this mediocre player. But because someone once wrote that EC is god, you're not allowed to critcise him, right?

Clapton has certainly been overrated for many years, and he didn't like that Clapton-is-god nonsense eiher. But he is better than a lot of others, and he's written a few songs that are just very, very good ;-)
As a guitarist, MK is simply on a different level, a level that most "ordinary" blues/rock guitarists will never reach. It's not just the tone and the technical control of the instrument, but the vast musical knowledge, about harmonies and different playing styles that sets him apart from most guitarists.
In those shows, he was trying to be a member of the band, to bring out the best in Clapton, so he stayed in the background a lot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2024, 06:55:33 PM »
Speaking of the 96 tour, I always assumed that the reason that it was in small theatres was due to a decision by MK to scale things back.

Turns out it was because Ed was scared after booking venues that were too big in 96.

Huh? The shows that I went to in 96 were pretty much sold out, as far I can remember. 

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2024, 07:09:59 PM »
At least in Germany smaller venues but several dates (Hamburg 5000x2, Munich 5000x3). Good choice from my point of view. Much better than all those hangar arenas later.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2024, 08:24:49 PM »
At least in Germany smaller venues but several dates (Hamburg 5000x2, Munich 5000x3). Good choice from my point of view. Much better than all those hangar arenas later.

LE

Oh yes, some beautiful places, like the old opera house in Frankfurt. It's a bit like the Albert Hall, well almost ;-)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2024, 10:35:59 PM »
Sorry, typo, Ed said he booked venues that were too big in 92, hence the small venues in 96. :)

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #263 on: June 07, 2024, 11:34:38 PM »
Sorry, typo, Ed said he booked venues that were too big in 92, hence the small venues in 96. :)

Okay. Did they actually have problems selling out venues in 92? I remember the places were pretty much packed, they even played small stadiums. Or was it because Mark wanted to play in smaller places?

The funny thing is that from 2001 on, he went back to the same venues that were "too big" in 92.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2024, 11:44:58 PM »

Okay. Did they actually have problems selling out venues in 92? I remember the places were pretty much packed, they even played small stadiums. Or was it because Mark wanted to play in smaller places?

The funny thing is that from 2001 on, he went back to the same venues that were "too big" in 92.

Yes this is covered in the interview where Ed speaks about the gigs in the interior of the US like Kansas where you "needed a hit".  He comes across as a pretty dynamic bloke who was able to switch to smaller venues in this event, though the tour had to be rearranged twice due to the Gulf War which didn't help matters.

Also interesting observation from Ed that the 6 year hiatus was too long and music had moved on significantly in that time. Also that there were hangers on in Nashville in that interval. I often wonder what an album of DS wwould have been like immediately after the Mandela gig or around that time... pretty special probably.

And on one final gem from the interview, confirmation that "a ton" of songs were recorded for Love Over Gold  intended originally to be a double album buy costs were prohibitive.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2024, 12:41:12 AM »
Yes I think the album was ready in 1990. I also used to think about it. What sound would I have had with this album in 1989. But I think MK's “love affair” with Nashville, country music was inevitable.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2024, 08:32:31 AM »

Listen to the interview, it’s all there. Europe was fine but there were issues in Australia and the US.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2024, 11:02:31 AM »
Are we putting in doubt what Ed Bicknell and most of the people involved told about the oes tour, just because we are fans and they smiled and interacted on a stage for two hours every show?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2024, 12:24:02 PM »
Are we putting in doubt what Ed Bicknell and most of the people involved told about the oes tour, just because we are fans and they smiled and interacted on a stage for two hours every show?

I don't think there's any reason to doubt it. I mean, why should Ed, John, Mark or anyone, 30 years later, tell the world a lot of nonsense about the tour? And, by and large, they're all saying the same thing, namely that it was all too much for everyone involved.
After all, there must have been a reason why Mark took six years to get the band back together, and why he decided to put an end to it after that tour.
I'm sure that there were also good bits, and they enjoyed being on stage and interacting with audiences, because that's what being a musician is about. And of course, they were/are all highly professional about it, which means you just keep going and do the job you're being paid for.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2024, 12:56:08 PM »
"I'm sure that there were also good bits, and they enjoyed being on stage and interacting with audiences, because that's what being a musician is about"

Of course it is, but it is rarely mentioned.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.