Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell Interview  (Read 30009 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Re: Ed Bicknell Interview
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2024, 01:02:48 PM »
Wolverhampton 1996 : pure energy and a wild crowd ! Vaison 96 for a soundboard though, this is top

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2024, 01:45:05 PM »
Highly entertaining and insightful interview, but two things I still don't quite understand:

1. Ed paints the One Every Street tour as a complete disaster in terms of human interactions. Isn't it strange that watching the concerts (one of them, Basel, in person, front row), I never got that impression at all? The playing was absolutely outstanding, and they often clearly did have fun. There was no lack of emotional moments (in a positive way) - just think of Mark playing You and Your Friend. Also, he did seem to show a lot of respect for the band, watching Danny/Chris during Calling Elvis, for instance, or having these wonderful interactions with Paul Franklin. If they really had such an awful time, who was struggling with whom? If Paul Franklin had to take sleeping pills to avoid everyone, why then was his playing so inspired? Why did Mark play so absolutely brilliantly, at the very top of his game, if he couldn't care less about the new songs and everything was just awful? I don't doubt that there were tense moments, but to say that the whole experience was just one huge disappointment is not what I see and hear when I watch and listen to One Every Street, the album, and the tour.

I get exactly the opposite feeling. OES shows feel dark, heavy, robotic and everyone looks tired, bored and angry.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #227 on: June 05, 2024, 01:46:49 PM »
Re OES tour, I think that it shows how professional and capable a band that they were at that time that they were able to carry on and proceed to deliver a quality performance.  But if you listen to recordings those earlier in the tour have more 'vibes' and energy, like Munich 1991 compared with the later 1992 shows which just feel like delivery of a well rehearsed performance to me.  Poles apart from BIA tour which actually was not as polished musically in places (think BIA...) however just sounded warmer and full of good energy.  All to my ears of course.

Interesting take. To me, the Brothers in Arms tour -- as great as the performances obviously were -- had a very "80s" sound (not surprising) which already felt awkward to me when I first heard it as a teenager in the early 90s. Whereas the 1991/1992 sound was a big step away from that -- not in the direction of what was to come in the 90s (Grunge, Britpop etc.), but uniquely well-rounded, full, polished and, yes, warm. It had a lot to do with the pedal steel and Mark's Pensa, I guess. In terms of sound, my favourite Dire Straits tours are the very first one and the very last one.

OnlinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2024, 02:03:31 PM »
I agree, but have to see my introduction to DS was On The Night, so I'll always have a soft spot for that record.
The pedal steel and indeed the pensa makes it sound pretty unique, and more coherent to me than de BIA tour. Although I can feel the more 'joyous' vibe of that it also feels a bit more sloppy.
And the first 70's tours are phenomenal anyway, the first 2 records are my fav DS's.

Re OES tour, I think that it shows how professional and capable a band that they were at that time that they were able to carry on and proceed to deliver a quality performance.  But if you listen to recordings those earlier in the tour have more 'vibes' and energy, like Munich 1991 compared with the later 1992 shows which just feel like delivery of a well rehearsed performance to me.  Poles apart from BIA tour which actually was not as polished musically in places (think BIA...) however just sounded warmer and full of good energy.  All to my ears of course.

Interesting take. To me, the Brothers in Arms tour -- as great as the performances obviously were -- had a very "80s" sound (not surprising) which already felt awkward to me when I first heard it as a teenager in the early 90s. Whereas the 1991/1992 sound was a big step away from that -- not in the direction of what was to come in the 90s (Grunge, Britpop etc.), but uniquely well-rounded, full, polished and, yes, warm. It had a lot to do with the pedal steel and Mark's Pensa, I guess. In terms of sound, my favourite Dire Straits tours are the very first one and the very last one.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2024, 02:19:48 PM »
This are the 1991/1992 vibes that I'm referring to when I say it can't have been quite as gloomy as Ed makes it sound.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2024, 02:31:22 PM »
This are the 1991/1992 vibes that I'm referring to when I say it can't have been quite as gloomy as Ed makes it sound.

There's a saying that the musicians play for free and get paid for all the travelling etc in between and I think this applies here.

Relatively easy to get up and do your favourite thing, ie play music, even if you are playing the same song in the same way for the 110th time.

The rest of the touring lifestyle, not so much.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2024, 02:37:49 PM »

There's a saying that the musicians play for free and get paid for all the travelling etc in between and I think this applies here.

Relatively easy to get up and do your favourite thing, ie play music, even if you are playing the same song in the same way for the 110th time.

The rest of the touring lifestyle, not so much.

yes exactly. and the gig is only 2hours in the day
it remains 22h per day for travelling, hotels, restaurants, taxis, etc... not so fun moments but forced to be with your "collegues"

at the end of the 2 years tour, it's normal that Ed recalls more of this moments than the shows

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2024, 02:39:41 PM »

only few snapshots of a 2 hours gig.
When you're looking at the basel or Nimes video in a row... well you can't see Mark smilling all the time  :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2024, 02:45:49 PM »
The only person who has been even vaguely positive about the OES tour was John and even then it felt like he kind of skipped over it in his book.

Everyone else who has spoken about it has talked of the friction, going all the way back to that Vox magazine article that was published while the tour was still ongoing.

OnlinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2024, 07:37:23 PM »
Now I'm getting curious; what article's that?

The only person who has been even vaguely positive about the OES tour was John and even then it felt like he kind of skipped over it in his book.

Everyone else who has spoken about it has talked of the friction, going all the way back to that Vox magazine article that was published while the tour was still ongoing.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2024, 10:58:31 PM »
Now I'm getting curious; what article's that?

I put scans on here a few months back, just do a search.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2024, 02:00:53 AM »
Incredible interview.

Bad part about being it so long and having so little time to listen to this is I had to listening it while working so I got lost many times as, no matter how well I think I understand English, I have to pay special attention and sometimes I lost that attention so I'm under the impression I lost many things.

Ed, come on, hire something to write your memories, and told that person eveything so it can be translated to a book!

If only this interview could be read it would be easier for me.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2024, 07:45:54 AM »
Maybe you could use some software to get a rough transcript? Something like turboscribe.ai ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2024, 09:51:49 AM »
Maybe you could use some software to get a rough transcript? Something like turboscribe.ai ?

Was going to say, should be straightforward to rip the audio and getting AI to transcribe?

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2024, 01:23:46 PM »
When you're looking at the basel or Nimes video in a row... well you can't see Mark smilling all the time  :lol

That's true. But it has been true for the other 600'000 hours of his life, too.

I was in the front row at that Basel concert, and remember thinking how awfully cool Mark was. You can't be cool AND smile all the time.

But yes, it will have been the touring (not the playing) that wore them out. It would be so much easier today – everyone would just stare at their phones constantly, no need to interact. Downside: Paul Franklin would need even more sleeping pills, because digital light is bad for your sleep.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 01:43:36 PM by Rail King »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.