Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell Interview  (Read 30193 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Ed Bicknell Interview
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2024, 10:11:18 PM »
He said it was a member of staff in Damage that was leaving, not Alan.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2024, 11:46:10 PM »
He said it was a member of staff in Damage that was leaving, not Alan.

Yeh I think you are right, not a musician, have listened again

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2024, 11:47:33 PM »
He said earlier that Alan had to give up the Clapton gig to come back to DS.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2024, 04:26:44 AM »
Incredible interview, all the rumours about David, OES era and MK’s split with Ed seem to have been quite accurate. Stuff like MK’s amazement with Elton and Rod being happy to go on TV and talk about personal stuff are gold. Then MK saying he wrote a shit DS album (I won’t spoil that gem for those who haven’t listened). Theirs loads and loads of stuff that any DS fan will find fascinating. Ed really needs to write a book. What a story he has got to tell. It won’t just be for DS fans as his time in the music business would be pure gold to read. Especially with his sense of humour.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2024, 09:02:35 AM »
starting now. shit, a work meeting has started...what to do now...?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2024, 09:48:52 AM »

Resign?

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2024, 09:55:17 AM »
I completely missed this

"Then MK saying he wrote a shit DS album"

Can anyone share the timestamp?

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2024, 10:36:55 AM »
Play the interview for your work colleagues

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »

Resign?
done
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2024, 11:30:21 AM »
Highly entertaining and insightful interview, but two things I still don't quite understand:

1. Ed paints the One Every Street tour as a complete disaster in terms of human interactions. Isn't it strange that watching the concerts (one of them, Basel, in person, front row), I never got that impression at all? The playing was absolutely outstanding, and they often clearly did have fun. There was no lack of emotional moments (in a positive way) - just think of Mark playing You and Your Friend. Also, he did seem to show a lot of respect for the band, watching Danny/Chris during Calling Elvis, for instance, or having these wonderful interactions with Paul Franklin. If they really had such an awful time, who was struggling with whom? If Paul Franklin had to take sleeping pills to avoid everyone, why then was his playing so inspired? Why did Mark play so absolutely brilliantly, at the very top of his game, if he couldn't care less about the new songs and everything was just awful? I don't doubt that there were tense moments, but to say that the whole experience was just one huge disappointment is not what I see and hear when I watch and listen to One Every Street, the album, and the tour.

2. I still don't know why Ed was fired or ready to quit, as he puts it. "Strangest meeting ever", "Mark said something very upsetting" -- why and what, Ed? The only hints I have come from the song Let's See You, but that doesn't tell me much more, either. "Tonight we pushed the border just a little too far for comfort" -- understood, that's what I gather from listening to Ed. But how exactly? Ed says that the whole situation with Mark (until today) is just strange; he makes it sound almost inexplicable. But I have this feeling that he knows exactly why they broke up and no longer "drink". Also, I have a hard time believing that Mark just wrote to Ed from the tour with Dylan completely out of the blue. Ed's memory is amazing, but I also get the impression that he remembers (or tells) exactly what he wants to.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 11:40:13 AM by Rail King »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2024, 11:39:15 AM »

1. Ed paints the One Every Street tour as a complete disaster in terms of human interactions. Isn't it strange that watching the concerts (one of them, Basel, in person, front row), I never got that impression at all? The playing was absolutely outstanding, and they often clearly did have fun. There was no lack of emotional moments (in a positive way) - just think of Mark playing You and Your Friend. Also, he did seem to show a lot of respect for the band, watching Danny/Chris during Calling Elvis, for instance, or having these wonderful interactions with Paul Franklin. If they really had such an awful time, who was struggling with whom? If Paul Franklin had to take sleeping pills to avoid everyone, why then was his playing so inspired? Why did Mark play so absolutely brilliantly, at the very top of his game, if he couldn't care less about the new songs and everything was just awful? I don't doubt that there were tense moments, but to say that the whole experience was just one huge disappointment is not what I see and hear when I watch and listen to One Every Street, the album, and the tour.

it's a job, and professionnal musicians can force to have a nice behaviour during 2 hours a day, especially if they know they are filmed ! it's like acting...

and to be honest, on many videos of the tour, I find Mark tired and bored to death

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2024, 11:47:48 AM »
and to be honest, on many videos of the tour, I find Mark tired and bored to death

Isn't that just Mark being Mark? I don't think someone can play THAT well when being tired and bored. Not even Mark. Just imagine what level of concentration such a show requires. Calling Elvis is not Broken Bones!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2024, 11:48:52 AM »

it's a job, and professionnal musicians can force to have a nice behaviour during 2 hours a day, especially if they know they are filmed ! it's like acting...

Agreed.

PS I always thought it was "tonight we pushed the boat out" but can't be bothered to check :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2024, 12:29:14 PM »
Incredible interview.

Bad part about being it so long and having so little time to listen to this is I had to listening it while working so I got lost many times as, no matter how well I think I understand English, I have to pay special attention and sometimes I lost that attention so I'm under the impression I lost many things.

Ed, come on, hire something to write your memories, and told that person eveything so it can be translated to a book!

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2024, 12:42:20 PM »
Re OES tour, I think that it shows how professional and capable a band that they were at that time that they were able to carry on and proceed to deliver a quality performance.  But if you listen to recordings those earlier in the tour have more 'vibes' and energy, like Munich 1991 compared with the later 1992 shows which just feel like delivery of a well rehearsed performance to me.  Poles apart from BIA tour which actually was not as polished musically in places (think BIA...) however just sounded warmer and full of good energy.  All to my ears of course.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.