Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Wembley 85 official release on DS YouTube channel  (Read 12629 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Wembley 85 official release on DS YouTube channel
« on: June 28, 2023, 05:47:28 PM »
As I felt it would be possible, after Dortmund 80, the DS official YouTube channel is releasing Wembley 85 legendary concert, starting this Friday with So Far Away, great quality in the preview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4HdLtZAxM9Y&feature=share7

Since they don't start with Ride Accross the River, which was the opener of the tour, it is expected that they won't be releasing the ful concert, but only the song that were aired at the time.

Nonetheless this is great news, and they may release Sydney 86 after that, which will complete Wembley nicely!

I'm so thrilled to see these great concerts finally officially released, even if not on physical format! Keep it up!   :)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Wembley 85 official release on DS YouTube channel
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 06:01:52 PM »
I remember. I recorded this concert from TV to VHS tape :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:53:52 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 11:38:59 PM »
Mono sound? Really?
Image quality seems to be a digitally upscaled copy / not restored from original tapes.
This would be a sadly lost opportunity...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 11:53:44 PM »
Is it really mono?? I hope it is only for the preview then... They have it in stereo, it was broadcasted in FM! Well not for TOL and SR unfortunately...

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 12:24:03 AM »
Is it really mono?? I hope it is only for the preview then... They have it in stereo, it was broadcasted in FM! Well not for TOL and SR unfortunately...

Correct me If I'm wrong. I think it will be in mono, because it is taken from TV broadcast mix.
Stereo versions on YouTube and VHS sourced DVDs are made by fans, and audio is taken from FM.
TOL was not aired on radio, check all video version and all are mono sound.
This is why I think it is taken from TV mix, and not from master tapes (possibility to remix audio from multitracks and a cleaner video transfer).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 12:01:50 AM by onceupon84 »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 12:25:49 AM »
Have you checked whether the so far away preview is in mono or stereo? I haven't...

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 12:55:40 AM »
Have you checked whether the so far away preview is in mono or stereo? I haven't...

For me, it's mono. I don't think it's a discrete stereo sound, I heard same signal from both channels.
FM version it's clearly wider.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »
As I felt it would be possible, after Dortmund 80, the DS official YouTube channel is releasing Wembley 85 legendary concert, starting this Friday with So Far Away, great quality in the preview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4HdLtZAxM9Y&feature=share7

Since they don't start with Ride Accross the River, which was the opener of the tour, it is expected that they won't be releasing the ful concert, but only the song that were aired at the time.

Nonetheless this is great news, and they may release Sydney 86 after that, which will complete Wembley nicely!

I'm so thrilled to see these great concerts finally officially released, even if not on physical format! Keep it up!   :)

Whilst this indeed on the youtube channel I don't think this is an "official" record company release as Guy has previously alluded to.  I think they basically use existing material we have access to and improve it.  Seems to be somehow related to the direstraits.com website. 

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 12:00:55 AM »

Today I have some dudes about If the audio is Stereo or Mono... If you check 0:08 on preview video, you can appreciate (with headphones) the drums starting at left channel and finishing the drum fill on right channel.

Nobody can check this? maybe it is a very discrete stereo mix for TV broadcast? FM radio source is different stereo mix.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 11:43:19 AM »

Today I have some dudes about If the audio is Stereo or Mono... If you check 0:08 on preview video, you can appreciate (with headphones) the drums starting at left channel and finishing the drum fill on right channel.

Nobody can check this? maybe it is a very discrete stereo mix for TV broadcast? FM radio source is different stereo mix.

One thing I can say for sure is that UK TV did not broadcast in stereo sound in 1985.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 11:45:27 AM »
I have a doubt. The show was broadcasted in 1986, not 1985, and by 1986 this was the beginning of NICAM on BBC. Could this be the first concert broadcasted in NICAM?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 01:12:27 PM »
According to wiki the first NICAM broadcast was The Proms in July 1986:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NICAM

Entirely possible the show was made in stereo for futureproofing but unlikely it was broadcast in stereo IMO.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 04:03:30 PM »
According to wiki the first NICAM broadcast was The Proms in July 1986:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NICAM

Entirely possible the show was made in stereo for futureproofing but unlikely it was broadcast in stereo IMO.

Broadcasted in mono or stereo?

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 04:11:59 PM »
It's easy to compare listening to this

Play first the official SFA video and then listen to the first minutes of this VHS sourced video (forget digital 'restoration' and FPS upscale, this is never true when source it's limited, but here audio is in true mono, it is one of the lots of VHS copies recorded on supposed mono broadcast).

Then compare with (Pre-)FM sourced bootlegs. For example, this copy with audio sourced from FM bootleg:

I can't distinguish If official SFA video is mono or very discrete stereo, but I can distinguish perfectly mono sourced VHS copies and (Pre-) FM bootlegs used to replace mono audio from this old homemade VHS captures.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 04:20:13 PM by onceupon84 »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »
Now the complete SFA is online, can these tests be redone with the full thing, to come to a definite conclusion?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.