Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???  (Read 34193 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
JF, what are your thoughts on crop rotation in the 14th century? ;)

:lol :lol :lol

I haven't written about this yet  ;D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2023, 04:38:14 PM »
Neil Young's Rust never sleeps was recorded live, but they took off the crowd noise, in order to make it sound like a studio album: https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/rust-never-sleeps-de-neil-young-fete-ses-40-ans-aujourdhui/

At risk of getting side tracked, I was listening to this album recently and crowd noise is audible on the opening and closing tracks, on My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue) I think the crowd can be heard at times during the song and the crowd is definitely audible at the end of Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black). However, this album is definitely worthy of mention for examples of live recordings that were edited for release, because if you compare the versions of Powderfinger and Sedan Delivery on Rust Never Sleeps with the versions on Live Rust you can hear that electric guitar parts have been overdubbed on the former versions.

If memory serves, all the songs on the electric side of Rust Never Sleeps were recorded live, but the acoustic side contains Sail Away, which is definitely a studio recording. It has quite a different sound and feel from the rest of that album, I think it was probably recorded during the Comes A Time sessions - most obviously the song features female backing vocals (from Nicolette Larson if I remember correctly), which were a big feature of that album but don't feature on the other Rust Never Sleeps tracks. I think Pocahontas is also a studio recording but sonically fits in seamlessly with the live acoustic tracks so isn't as noticeable.

(You might be able to tell that I'm a fan of Neil Young's music, and Rust Never Sleeps in particular...)

Yes you are right. Of course we can hear the crowd noise here and there, but not as such as we can expect from a live recording.
I mean we can't hear any applause between the songs, that's what I meant by "crowd noises removed"

and indeed you are right about Pocahontas and Sail away. yes it's Nicolette Larson on backing vocals

I am a Neil Young fan too. here are some crhonicles about the loner : https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/neil-young/

At risk of getting side tracked, but JF seem to have an article about any topic that you throw at him :lol Bravo :clap

hey Quizzy, I am sure that you did a video about any MK song we can throw at you  :lol

hunter

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2023, 05:04:40 PM »
JF, what are your thoughts on crop rotation in the 14th century? ;)

:lol :lol :lol

I haven't written about this yet  ;D

:disbelief

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2023, 08:13:22 PM »
I pretty sure the guitar in Your Latest Trick was overdubbed

Yep! Me too.
And overdubbing live recordings are absolutely normal.

What makes you guys think that? I’m curious 🤯
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2023, 10:42:17 PM »
Yep! Me too.

[/quote]

When i saw the OTN for the first time, during YLT, the video doesn't match the sound. In my opinion, its not a lack of sync, but he is playing other things apart from what is on video.

Hearing carefully, the guitar EQ seems to be over edited, witch i feel (and i have pretty sure about it) that it was overdubbed. Hearing others bootlegs from the tour, MK never played this song like he played on the oficial record.

Not worth to mention that, the OTN is part of 3 venues. as discussed here and very well explained by Brunno Nunes, Calling Elvis is a mix from the 3 shows recorded for the OTN release. So, there is a LOT of editing on this album.
GF said many times that was very difficult to mix this album.

Another famous MK overbud, is that he overdubbed some vocal parts in Portobello Belle for the MFN compilation.

Many artits overdubs live recordings.
The album is a product, so, it needs to be perfect.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2023, 12:04:12 AM »
Evening all. I’ve just listened to calling Elvia live on headphones. It reminded me how bad this is!! It’s not just the vocal but MK’s guitar bears no resemblance to how it sounded at the gig or the various other recordings. It’s closest to Nimes 29/9/92 but still way different. Yet you and your friend is still brilliant. But maybe that’s because we don’t have a soundboard to compare to. Given they wanted this out pronto they ballsed this up big time.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2023, 12:14:06 AM »
Yep! Me too.

When i saw the OTN for the first time, during YLT, the video doesn't match the sound. In my opinion, its not a lack of sync, but he is playing other things apart from what is on video.

Hearing carefully, the guitar EQ seems to be over edited, witch i feel (and i have pretty sure about it) that it was overdubbed. Hearing others bootlegs from the tour, MK never played this song like he played on the oficial record.

Not worth to mention that, the OTN is part of 3 venues. as discussed here and very well explained by Brunno Nunes, Calling Elvis is a mix from the 3 shows recorded for the OTN release. So, there is a LOT of editing on this album.
GF said many times that was very difficult to mix this album.

Another famous MK overbud, is that he overdubbed some vocal parts in Portobello Belle for the MFN compilation.

Many artits overdubs live recordings.
The album is a product, so, it needs to be perfect.
[/quote]

You might be right but my guess is it’s bits and pieces from different gigs rather than an overdub.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2023, 01:35:05 AM »
You might be right but my guess is it’s bits and pieces from different gigs rather than an overdub.

Make overdubs it's way easier and cheaper than pick up a guitar channel from another concert.

Maybe the 'mosaic of parts' from the OTN record, maybe, is because they had a bad source of audio capture. So they needed to overdub more than the usual.

The AC/DC live records, for example, the guitar amps on stage are only for the musicians. The amps that are recording are on three trucks apart from the stage. Each truck for one instrument. The PA sound came from these trucks. Drums and vocals are recorded on stage.

Chris Witten said that, at the OES tour, the monitors on stage were way too loud. So, imagine to record a band that have 5 vocals, flute/sax, percussion, drums, 34 keyboards, bass, 3 guitars and the stage monitors bleeding in agony ahahaha.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2023, 03:53:10 AM »

Make overdubs it's way easier and cheaper than pick up a guitar channel from another concert.

Maybe the 'mosaic of parts' from the OTN record, maybe, is because they had a bad source of audio capture. So they needed to overdub more than the usual.

The AC/DC live records, for example, the guitar amps on stage are only for the musicians. The amps that are recording are on three trucks apart from the stage. Each truck for one instrument. The PA sound came from these trucks. Drums and vocals are recorded on stage.

Chris Witten said that, at the OES tour, the monitors on stage were way too loud. So, imagine to record a band that have 5 vocals, flute/sax, percussion, drums, 34 keyboards, bass, 3 guitars and the stage monitors bleeding in agony ahahaha.

Its noy cheaper actually. It involves the employ of at least 3 people and several hours of studio time. Compare that with comping half a dozen guitar parts.

Given Marks integrity I would be very surprised if he was involved in overdubbing a live album. Plus its well known that MK had well and truly  had enough of DS. I can't see him wanting to put in the effort to rerecord large parts of said shows.

Overdubbing/fixing live albums should not be the industry norm. Unfortunately it seems like the world is full of charlatans....

hunter

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2023, 08:55:34 AM »
Gave OTN a listen just now. I got to Heavy Fuel and had to turn off. The whole thing feels dated and irrelevant.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
Chris W had in ear monitors. One of the first times I can remember seeing them I think.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2023, 01:42:28 PM »
Not cheaper at all, I’ve done both live recordings and recording sessions. Each instrument is mic’d up individually on stage - in Mark’s case one track for each amp he plays through simultaneously. It’s a lot easier and more practical to use what’s already there.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »
Not cheaper at all, I’ve done both live recordings and recording sessions. Each instrument is mic’d up individually on stage - in Mark’s case one track for each amp he plays through simultaneously. It’s a lot easier and more practical to use what’s already there.

Believe me. If the original mix sucks, its cheaper make an overdub.
Cheaper, in this case, means less expensive.
Costs less time in the studio.
If you book a studio session, the studio provides the people that you'll need.

I'm not saying that, the OTN record are full of overdubs.
Some studios calls overdubs as 'additional recording'

There is no romance in the music business, if is bad, redo it or throw it away. MK is a rare case that an artitst who can make "everething he wants".

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2023, 05:22:08 PM »
I run a small studio and have taught music technology for nearly 25 years Rolo. Trust me when I say you can fix anything in post production, and its way simpler than calling in musicians to completely redo parts.

If you don't believe Eddie and I  then see guys forum latest question for the definitive answer.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 05:26:46 PM by 2manyguitars »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2023, 05:51:50 PM »
I run a small studio and have taught music technology for nearly 25 years Rolo. Trust me when I say you can fix anything in post production, and its way simpler than calling in musicians to completely redo parts.

If you don't believe Eddie and I  then see guys forum latest question for the definitive answer.

:thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 06:02:39 PM by Rolo »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.