Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2024  (Read 75435 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New for 2023
« Reply #345 on: September 20, 2023, 12:50:01 PM »
I heard the opinion that Everybody Pays is about David.

Yeah I've suggested that before but MK has never said.

Lets See You possibly Ed but it doesn't all fit.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #346 on: September 20, 2023, 01:25:49 PM »
Heavy Up should have been thrown away!

Absolutely!

Most likely this song is a "gift" to the person by whom it was originally inspired, just like Monteleone. Mark keeps a secret about who it is, which is kinda surprising.

I remember MK said that the idea for Heavy Up came from a conversation with Bob Dylan, he said to MK about an argument with Bob's manager and Bob used that expression with the manager.

"his response to being told to “lighten up” was “I’ll lighten up for you if you’ll heavy up for me.”

That's what MK said during the DTRW promo interviews, which can be found in the thread dedicated to that record in this forum.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 01:32:31 PM by jbaent »
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #347 on: September 20, 2023, 01:50:45 PM »
Heavy Up should have been thrown away!

Absolutely!

Most likely this song is a "gift" to the person by whom it was originally inspired, just like Monteleone. Mark keeps a secret about who it is, which is kinda surprising.

I remember MK said that the idea for Heavy Up came from a conversation with Bob Dylan, he said to MK about an argument with Bob's manager and Bob used that expression with the manager.

"his response to being told to “lighten up” was “I’ll lighten up for you if you’ll heavy up for me.”

That's what MK said during the DTRW promo interviews, which can be found in the thread dedicated to that record in this forum.

Yes. Another situational song:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #348 on: September 20, 2023, 02:10:47 PM »
It's impressive when someone goes to a shoes shop and came back hope with a song.

Or when he goes to a kitchen store.
So Long

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #349 on: September 20, 2023, 02:12:16 PM »
It's impressive when someone goes to a shoes shop and came back hope with a song.

Or when he goes to a kitchen store.

Unless the song is Heavy Up.

Now My Bacon Roll, that was a good trip to the cafe.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2023, 02:28:25 PM »
Or when it rains in Seattle...
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2023, 02:40:20 PM »
Or when it rains in Seattle...

MK was actually inspired to write this while watching the movie Sleepless in Seattle, he's a big rom-com guy.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2023, 02:55:05 PM »
And the history from restaurant or bar?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 02:59:33 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2023, 02:57:56 PM »
And the history of the restaurant or bar?

Yes, watching an Arsenal football game with Paul Crockford at the bar of the hotel where they were during a previous tour, un Seattle.
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2023, 03:08:45 PM »
And the history of the restaurant or bar?

Yes, watching an Arsenal football game with Paul Crockford at the bar of the hotel where they were during a previous tour, un Seattle.

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2023, 03:31:39 PM »
I always assumed that "Heavy Up" was quite obviously inspired by that mother of all assholes, Donald Trump. Just like "Don't Crash the Ambulance" was quite obviously about Bush Sr. and Jr., or like "El Macho" was obviously about Jerry Springer. Which doesn't mean that everything fits - it doesn't. But that's the freedom of art: You take something out of the newspaper, but then enrich it, change it, transform it and make it something that's more universally true. A "character" that doesn't exist as such, but is constantly being reborn in various human beings. I know plenty of people who should "heavy up", even in my own life.  ;)

Oh, and I like "Heavy Up" a lot.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:33:51 PM by Rail King »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2023, 05:07:55 PM »
I always assumed that "Heavy Up" was quite obviously inspired by that mother of all assholes, Donald Trump. Just like "Don't Crash the Ambulance" was quite obviously about Bush Sr. and Jr., or like "El Macho" was obviously about Jerry Springer. Which doesn't mean that everything fits - it doesn't. But that's the freedom of art: You take something out of the newspaper, but then enrich it, change it, transform it and make it something that's more universally true. A "character" that doesn't exist as such, but is constantly being reborn in various human beings. I know plenty of people who should "heavy up", even in my own life.  ;)

El Macho is quite a weird song lyrically and for me it isn't obvious that it's about Springer. Possible, but maybe not.

Don't Crash The Ambulance is very stupid, did MK not notice two terms of Clinton?!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2023, 05:13:43 PM »

El Macho is quite a weird song lyrically and for me it isn't obvious that it's about Springer. Possible, but maybe not.

Don't Crash The Ambulance is very stupid, did MK not notice two terms of Clinton?!

Why stupid? If this is a conversation between father and son it makes sense.
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2023, 05:27:07 PM »

It suggests Sr showing Jr round the White House which obviously wouldn't happen.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2023, 05:27:15 PM »

Between Bush Snr and Bush Jnr I have always assumed.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.