Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (21) Precious Voice From Heaven  (Read 29413 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: (21) Precious Voice From Heaven
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2023, 11:40:30 AM »
Mainly because of the obvious relationship and because the protagonist seems to think as a producer but also sings. And because if someone has a voice from heaven, it surely is Emmylou. Both of them have a close relationship with MK also. Not 100% sure about the 42 years though as that would have been in 1990, as Kennerly was born in 1948.

LE

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2024, 12:13:18 PM »
But the final verse is a little incomprehensible to me.

The Cool kids who make your town
Gotta help them stick around
You wanna keep your city hip
Or all the kids will desert the ship

It speaks earlier in the town about being priced out of the area, the coda is warning that if property prices get too expensive the cool people who made the town famous will have to move out.

Maybe the song is about Austin, Texas.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/article/Austin-musicians-leaving-Elgin-16917681.php
I always assumed this one is about Mark's life in London of no fixed abode, it never rains, down the road wherever and stuff, but yes, it could also just work as a general idea of any city in decline due to the "gentrification".
In my opinion, more likely is about the particular people involved, not just the place as such because of all the details gives about the protagonists (hipster, folkster, greasy cap, trilby hat, the girl, his age and time frame etc...)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2024, 12:23:04 PM »
"...I'm forty-two years old"... gives me the impression that he sings about a very specific character and year, and a concrete person, and it annoys me that it is rather impossible to work out who it might be only with knowledge of the lyrics. I wonder if this is really good songwriting. Or am I too harsh? Is it just meant as a typical "... well people of this age, let's say 42, will not get on in this town anymore?"
Hope you get my point.

LE

« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 12:26:25 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2024, 07:54:47 PM »
"...I'm forty-two years old"... gives me the impression that he sings about a very specific character and year, and a concrete person, and it annoys me that it is rather impossible to work out who it might be only with knowledge of the lyrics. I wonder if this is really good songwriting. Or am I too harsh? Is it just meant as a typical "... well people of this age, let's say 42, will not get on in this town anymore?"
Hope you get my point.

LE
Yes, I agree, 42 sucks, it is the worst age ever to get on anywhere. One is better to either get it on before that age struck or wait until that age tick away. On a serious note, this supposed to be a joke.
I don't think it is impossible to work the person in the song out, it is just impossible for those who are not involved. That person recognises himself without a doubt.
There is nothing in the whole universe that will not be revealed, therefore it is already revealed, it just takes time.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 38 queries.