Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New message from Richard Bennett  (Read 20060 times)

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
Re: New message from Richard Bennett
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
Will buy the Pieta Album for sure I think.
Cool line up. Nearly the 96ers.
Incl. Chad!!!
Strange to see him play with Richard and Glenn but not with MK.

What happened 2005?
I think MK is angry with him. Cannot say.
Anyway the album sounds interesting.
Very well written Rich as always.
Thanks
Love will find a Way

Love Expresso

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
My theory is  (of course it is only a guess) that Chad maybe had problems with this fairly big and extensive 2005 tour schedule. Australia, India, South Africa together with the usual US and Europe, it was really a big five-months-world tour with a lot of travelling involved. With having (whatsoever) problems at home, maybe Chad was not happy with staying away for so long, you could also call it homesick, and because of that they decided to go separate ways. If he wasn't able to concentrate on his work with Mark, and not being able to fulfill Mark's high standards, he probably had no other chance than leaving. Today, for Chad, it seems that Neil Young is a very comfortable alternative with touring in the US mainly (as far as I know of course).

Chad is a family man obviously, and not everybody is built to stand extended touring...

LE

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
Update from Richard! He's gonna do a diary it seems.

London
24-Sep-2011
Hello again from London.  I arrived early last Sunday morning, bleary eyed and not so bushy of tail but have made a quick transition to Greenwich Meantime.  Along the way I've had a remarkable Bangladeshi dinner in Brick Lane and been keeping up with my quota of ale at the pub. Oh yeah, we've been rehearsing as well for the upcoming autumn tour with Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan. Things have been clipping along brilliantly, everyone sounding great as always.  I don't want to sound boastful, but honestly we could do a show tonight just after this week of playing together again.  The greatest band going without a doubt.

By far the best time-off was last night after rehearsal when keyboard hero Jim Cox and I took the train to Blackheath to see The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.  I've been a fan of the group for many years and have enjoyed their many clips on You Tube, but to attend a concert was something else and great luck that we happened to be in the city when they were doing a show.  The Uke Orch is quintessentially British with a resounding sense of humour and are monstrously talented musicians and singers.  Their repertoire runs the length of punk-rock, old blues, 1920s jazz, movie themes, legit classical pieces and an acapella/sea chantey version of Pinball Wizard that has to be heard to appreciate it's greatness. All done without drums, pianos, guitars, etc.... just ukuleles.  Soprano ukes, concert ukes, tenor ukes, baritone ukes and a bass uke!  Along the way they pulled out several miniature ukuleles, one smaller than the other, and proceeded to play great music on each.  The last instrument fitting in the palm of the hand and used as a plectrum for one of the other ukuleles!  If they're remotely close to your area and are giving a show.... go!  Until then, you can enjoy them on You Tube.

If memory serves me correctly, Pieta Brown's new album "Mercury" is being released this coming week on Red House Records.  Pieta and her husband Bo Ramsey opened the U.S. leg of the 2010 tour with us and we all think the world of them.  When it came time to make this new record, Bo enlisted Glenn Worf and I along with Chad Cromwell and the five of us made what I think is a great record, all recorded live over the span of three days.  I'm very proud to be part of this music with them.

Our first show of the tour is in Dublin on the 6th of October and we're on our way from there.  I plan to get these Notes going regularly again once we've begun, so please come back and check in often.

So long,

Richard

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
Will buy the Pieta Album for sure I think.
Cool line up. Nearly the 96ers.
Incl. Chad!!!
Strange to see him play with Richard and Glenn but not with MK.

What happened 2005?
I think MK is angry with him. Cannot say.
Anyway the album sounds interesting.
Very well written Rich as always.
Thanks

I never minded Chad being replaced as I was never a fan of his work anyway and we were all familiar with Danny.  However the replacement of Danny this time round is curious - just shows you that loyalty counts for nothing these days;  who was on call for any promo performance on radio/TV since the early 2000's?  Now he's discarded like a used tissue.  Shame. :-\
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
While I like Danny's live work, I think he was way too subtle on the albums. There was more action with Chad, even if his playing often sounded slick but basic to me.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »
I never minded Chad being replaced as I was never a fan of his work anyway and we were all familiar with Danny.  However the replacement of Danny this time round is curious - just shows you that loyalty counts for nothing these days;  who was on call for any promo performance on radio/TV since the early 2000's?  Now he's discarded like a used tissue.  Shame. :-\

This is just how music buissness works.
Almost 99 % sure that nothing personal between Mark and Danny and everything is fine.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
However the replacement of Danny this time round is curious - just shows you that loyalty counts for nothing these days;  who was on call for any promo performance on radio/TV since the early 2000's?  Now he's discarded like a used tissue.  Shame. :-\

Absolutely. Well said.  >:( >:(

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
Same could be said for my cousin Bobby Valentino since McCusker turned up...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
While I like Danny's live work, I think he was way too subtle on the albums. There was more action with Chad

If I may, I quite don't agree. If you expect the album with Emmy - he played on Right now and Rollin on, Danny played on 2 albums, Kill to get Crimson and Get lucky. Those two albums were amongst the quieter MK has ever done, it explains why maybe Danny had never been able to express his horse power on the albums. Which may have been quite frustrating for him after all, but I can't speak for DC. Though, if you listen to Cleaning My gun or even So Far from the Clyde, you can hear Danny hitting  the drums quite a bit.

Anyway, his eviction this year from the band is a shame
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:42:34 PM by NicoMK »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
The more the thing goes the less I understand all that fuzz toward DC replacement. He was great but no doubt that Ian will be great also. The main focus is the one and only Mark. The rest are just great musicians.

(btw I agree with Dusty, I miss Bobby V)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
My theory is  (of course it is only a guess) that Chad maybe had problems with this fairly big and extensive 2005 tour schedule. Australia, India, South Africa together with the usual US and Europe, it was really a big five-months-world tour with a lot of travelling involved. With having (whatsoever) problems at home, maybe Chad was not happy with staying away for so long, you could also call it homesick, and because of that they decided to go separate ways. If he wasn't able to concentrate on his work with Mark, and not being able to fulfill Mark's high standards, he probably had no other chance than leaving. Today, for Chad, it seems that Neil Young is a very comfortable alternative with touring in the US mainly (as far as I know of course).

Chad is a family man obviously, and not everybody is built to stand extended touring...

LE

yesterday I saw Jonathan Demme 's Neil Young heart of gold which filmed Young's show in Nashville on 18-19/08/2005.
Nice to see and hear Chad who obviously found another job very quickly after his departure from the Shangri-La tour. :)

There's also Emmy singing backing vocals on this gig, and the first shot of the movie is "Shangri-La"  ;), reffering to shangri-La studio of course, not to MK album ;)

I don't see the point with Danny.
Mark's musicians have always changed
I agree with ds1984 : these are just "backing musicians", and this is music business, not a party between friends...

I was never a fan of Danny's work.
To me, it remind of the OES era, which is IMHO the worst DS era. So when Mark introduce him from "DS days", I feel a bit uncomfortable with this, because in my mind, the "DS days" were all but the 91-93 days....

all in all as ds1984 said "The main focus is the one and only Mark", I don't think that other musicians have a great influence on his work. We all know that he do and play what HE want.

Think about Richard (which was the original topic :))
Yes a great and subtil guitarist, a nice chap, etc...
but if you listen to all studio albums....the main interesting guitar parts were all played by Mark (except Sucker row and Summer of love). Each time there's a special rhythm, a particular riff, a special lick, it is Mark.
Richard is only here to play some acoustic, tremolo strummed chords, and a little bit of lap steel or bouzouki

A strange thing is :
on KTGC, Mark played all parts, so we could have expected some special rhythm parts in his particular style (things like single handed sailor or Skateway), but it's the less Knopflerish album in terms of guitar style.
And when Mark play some special rhythm parts (e.g. 12 strings on Cleaning my gun, strat on Silvertown blues, strummed chords on Tele on Why ay man or So far from the clyde, etc...) he could play by his own, and don't really need another guitarist, but he ask Richard to play some additionnal parts, with no really interest : acoustic chords, few chords, a 2nd  12 string guitar.....

I don't understand why ask another guitarist to play just some aditionnal parts, while he play all parts on other albums  ???
Maybe Mark don't want to play "ininteresting" guitar parts :o, so he ask to a session musician to do the" bad" job....like he did with David, Hal, Jack or Phil : the 2nd guitarist on Mark's studio albums was never "in the light."

However, Richard is great player, and obviously add some subtil touch live, but in studio......

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »

Yeah, but isn't Bobby gone with the wind? ;)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 09:31:24 PM »

Yeah, but isn't Bobby gone with the wind? ;)

Like it.

Richard plays great lead when he gets the chance, check out Summer of Love and Love and Happiness. Just my guess, but I reckon he's playing the riff on Do America too...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
Richard part on "I dug up a diamond" is awesome (live I found that it was even better than Marks's part).

Jackal

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:52 AM »
Richard's lead part on Born to run is also pretty cool.

I wonder, though - I have a feeling that Richard is not the "hot improvisational type". You know, I can't imagine Richard playing a blistering, heartfelt blues solo for instance. He seems too controlled for that kind of playing. Maybe that's why Mark likes having him around. (Never have to be nervous about Richard stealing the spotlight  ;) .)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 43 queries.