Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1  (Read 14845 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
Not even Mark Knopfler can be in genius mode all the time. True, his worst songs are better than a lot of other artists' songs, but several of his songs are mediocre at best, and a few are just ... bad, lyrically and/or musically.

oooooh, mediocre - that's a strong word for some of MK's weaker songs. I certainly haven't come across any that are bad either!
I personally wouldn't use that word for any of MK's work (Apart from R&J!) but I sort of get what you are meaning.

Some of MK's songs are stronger than others granted but even his weaker songs are immense!!!
(There aren't many artists out there whose weaker songs are rather good)

I agree. Mark certainly sorted out quality over quantity situation and never release meaningless songs. Even if the lyrics are dumb or simple, like sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug, or your baby now, baby now, aaaa, baby now, baby now, the song still has some standing out features. Either it's fun to play, has great guitar work or something along those lines. Mark for sure is one of the most consistent songwriters I know. A living good songs machine gun!

That's obviously DS days with that example, and I think since going solo his lyrics especially have got more 'mature' and more meaningful! That example of 'Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug' is actually a very clever little phrase!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2021, 11:40:09 AM »
I still never skip any Mark Knopfler song, I find something to like in everyone of his songs, and if a song is always skipped, you might forget why you were skipping it anyway!!!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

But KF, you are one of those who go for a pee during R&J at the concerts!    That's exactly the same as skipping a track on a CD.  ::)

;D

But it's only Romeo & Juliet and it's an entitlement to have a break then!! ;D ;D

Then you are not entitled to say whether or not you like it if you aren't there!   :)

Yes Miss!!! That told me..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »
I still never skip any Mark Knopfler song, I find something to like in everyone of his songs, and if a song is always skipped, you might forget why you were skipping it anyway!!!

But KF, you are one of those who go for a pee during R&J at the concerts!    That's exactly the same as skipping a track on a CD.  ::)

;D

But it's only Romeo & Juliet and it's an entitlement to have a break then!! ;D ;D

Then you are not entitled to say whether or not you like it if you aren't there!   :)

Don't worry, you're still my friend even though you don't like R&J!   :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »

;D

Don't worry, you're still my friend even though you don't like R&J!   :wave

Phew that's good!! Dare I say it I'm warming to R&J of late!  ::) ::)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2021, 01:43:06 PM »
Kill to get Crimson - ahead with 16 Votes.....Nooooooooo!!!! :'( :'( :'(

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2021, 01:46:21 PM »
Ragpickers was the start of the downward spiral for me and a massive step down from previous albums.  That got my vote, but it could've been Privateering, 50% of which should've been left on the HD.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »

Still time.  Voting doesn't end until Tuesday.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »

Still time.  Voting doesn't end until Tuesday.

No, I know but I'm genuinely stunned.... Still time!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
Ragpickers was the start of the downward spiral for me and a massive step down from previous albums.  That got my vote, but it could've been Privateering, 50% of which should've been left on the HD.

Oh dear, so I take it you don't enjoy much of Mark Knopfler's solo efforts then?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »

Ragpicker's is another of my favourites - so many beautiful songs.   That makes four favourites for me and they all can't win!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2021, 01:56:08 PM »

All four of my favourite solo albums are post-Ragpicker's. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2021, 01:57:26 PM »

Ragpicker's is another of my favourites - so many beautiful songs.   That makes four favourites for me and they all can't win!   ;D

I probably should've voted Privateering come to think of it, but I doubt it'll make any difference to the final result.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »

Ragpickers is just amazing!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2021, 02:00:29 PM »

I probably should've voted Privateering come to think of it, but I doubt it'll make any difference to the final result.

Privateering is second in line for the chop for me!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2021, 02:03:08 PM »

Privateering is second in line for the chop for me!

DTRW for me next.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.