Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1  (Read 16933 times)

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2021, 11:59:04 AM »
This is too hard to participate in. Sorry.

hunter

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2021, 12:10:38 PM »
Many options for sure. Personally, I most interested in "optimizing" each album in terms of quality/favorites AND time. I'm still of the opinion that 45 to 50 minutes is the ideal running length of an album, especially for focused listening in one sitting.

So that will leave one song per record probably, maybe two for Privateering as it is double.

I think you misunderstand. I don't mean creating one definite (best of) MK solo album, but rather edit each album. In other words, which songs would you include to make the running time of, say Golden Heart, 45-50 minutes?

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2021, 12:47:55 PM »
Many options for sure. Personally, I most interested in "optimizing" each album in terms of quality/favorites AND time. I'm still of the opinion that 45 to 50 minutes is the ideal running length of an album, especially for focused listening in one sitting.

So that will leave one song per record probably, maybe two for Privateering as it is double.

Ah, I get you now!

I think you misunderstand. I don't mean creating one definite (best of) MK solo album, but rather edit each album. In other words, which songs would you include to make the running time of, say Golden Heart, 45-50 minutes?
So Long

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »
I am surprised to see Get Lucky doing so well.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2021, 04:10:35 PM »

It’s when he began to turn a bit folky. Maybe people like that.
What’s really interesting with the solo albums is that in my opinion, none of them set a definitive MK sound. All of the albums have a different feel (way more so than DS albums) in my opinion.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2021, 04:30:36 PM »

What’s really interesting with the solo albums is that in my opinion, none of them set a definitive MK sound. All of the albums have a different feel (way more so than DS albums) in my opinion.

Good, it's my No.1 MK album personally...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2021, 06:06:08 PM »

I'm surprised it's doing so well too.   There are some lovely songs on it, but too many skippers to be a favourite for me - Hard Shoulder, You Can't Beat The House and The Car Was The One.   To be a favourite I have to like every song without reaching for the skip button!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »

I'm surprised it's doing so well too.   There are some lovely songs on it, but too many skippers to be a favourite for me - Hard Shoulder, You Can't Beat The House and The Car Was The One.   To be a favourite I have to like every song without reaching for the skip button!  :)

Oooh, not a skip button in sight when GL is on to be honest, love every song - this album is an exploration of everything MK! From Border Reiver to Piper it's just a pure work of genius.....
It probably means more to me as my late father (who was not a music fan) in his last days found solace in tracks like Remembrance Day and Piper. He asked for Piper to be played at his funeral which we obliged. Dads coffin was taken into the Crematorium with Piper to the end playing....
Very moving....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:52:05 PM by Knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »

Oooh, not a skip button in sight when GL is on to be honest, love every song - this album is an exploration of everything MK! From Border Reiver to Piper it's just a pure work of genius.....
It probably means more to me as my late father (who was not a music fan) in his last days found solace in tracks like Remembrance Day and Piper. He asked for Piper to be played at his funeral which we obliged. Dads coffin was taken into the Crematorium with Piper to the end playing....
Very moving....

That's fine!   I like those songs too, it's just the ones I mentioned I'm not too keen on, especially "You Can't Beat The House".  It's strange, because I really enjoy all of the blues songs on Privateering, especially "Today Is OK" but I have never liked "You Can't....."  for some reason.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2021, 08:03:45 PM »

Very moving....

That's fine!   I like those songs too, it's just the ones I mentioned I'm not too keen on, especially "You Can't Beat The House".  It's strange, because I really enjoy all of the blues songs on Privateering, especially "Today Is OK" but I have never liked "You Can't....."  for some reason.  :)
You can't beat the house is ok, but not on par with today is ok! Certainly not skippable though....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2021, 08:06:57 PM »

Very moving....

You can't beat the house is ok, but not on par with today is ok! Certainly not skippable though....

It is for me, but everyone is different and it would be really boring if we all liked the same things - just imagine if we did - we wouldn't need to have this discussion!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »
Quite agree, good job we are all different indeed!! :wave ps are you both well??

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2021, 08:13:14 PM »
Quite agree, good job we are all different indeed!! :wave ps are you both well??

Yes, thank you, but mustn't speak too soon!    Mr Val has just had his booster jab and I will have mine next week.  Hope all is OK with you too.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »

Yes, thank you, but mustn't speak too soon!    Mr Val has just had his booster jab and I will have mine next week.  Hope all is OK with you too.  :)

Fingers crossed for you both, sure you'll both be fine...we are both fine although long covid has its ups and downs - chin up and get on with it is my philosophy!!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »
Getting back to "You Can't....".     One of the reasons I can't get on with it is that I don't really think it fits in with the rest of the album - it's kind of out of place.  It should really have been on Privateering along with the other blues songs.   The other two, I just find them a bit dull.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 41 queries.