Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1  (Read 16961 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 11:53:10 PM »
It’s easily DTRW for me. Way too many skippers.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 03:08:15 AM »

100% agree with you Banjo99uk.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 03:12:52 AM »
Can't believe that Kill to get Crimson is about to leave FIRST!!  :hmm  :smack

Good job there is 6 days still to go yet....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 08:14:11 AM »

DTRW for me for the same reason.
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 08:59:27 AM »
DTRW is not a perfect album and is kind of all over the place. I like it, though, because it has a certain level of experimentation and new impulses that are rather rare on Mark's albums.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 09:33:14 AM »
Sailing to Philadelphia... for sure  :wave
It had some votes though  ;D

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »
I will create as many ghost accounts as I need to to save KTGC from an early exit.  ;D

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 10:01:44 AM »
I voted for Down The Road Wherever. I am surprised to see how many votes it's has, I thought lots of people were gushing over it when it came out. I think it would have been better had the bonus tracks been used in the main album, instead of some of the songs that are in it, however, as with all of Mark's albums it still has many sublime moments. The solo albums are so hard to choose, even more so that Dire Straits as there are so many high quality songs, and so many more songs per album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2021, 10:04:38 AM »
I voted for Down The Road Wherever. I am surprised to see how many votes it's has, I thought lots of people were gushing over it when it came out. I think it would have been better had the bonus tracks been used in the main album, instead of some of the songs that are in it, however, as with all of Mark's albums it still has many sublime moments. The solo albums are so hard to choose, even more so that Dire Straits as there are so many high quality songs, and so many more songs per album.

I voted for DTRW purely as for me it was lovely when it came out, it was fresh, vibrant and pure MK but as time has gone on it has slipped to the bottom of the pile. Its certainly one I don't go to for an MK fix. The bonus tracks however are a different story!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »
I will create as many ghost accounts as I need to to save KTGC from an early exit.  ;D

:lol :lol

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »
DTRW is not a perfect album and is kind of all over the place. I like it, though, because it has a certain level of experimentation and new impulses that are rather rare on Mark's albums.

Yes and in the long term I'm not sure the experimentation on the album works...

hunter

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 10:16:45 AM »

Yes and in the long term I'm not sure the experimentation on the album works...

True, and it can quickly become old. But I'd rather have risky experimentation (not talking avantgarde weirdness here :)) than stale predictability. Twice-told tales and all that.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »
I was going to vote KTGC, but it has a certain warmth, vibe and consistency that I like, and I like Fizzy, Behind With the Rent and Madame Geneva's a lot. It just about trumps Privateering, which has more songs that I like, but is just all over the place. And way too long. Privateering at the bottom for me.

Edit: I vote considering the album as a whole, and not based on how many songs I might like individually. An album should be more than a collection of songs ("playlist") and more than the sum of its parts.

I couldn’t agree with this post more. None of the KTGC songs are among my favourite MK songs but it’s just the sound of the whole album. Guy’s synths and organs, the tremolo usage etc. It’s a great sound.

Afraid I went for Golden Heart. Other than Cannibals and Rudiger, doesn’t do much as an album for me.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
May as well just have the first two albums in this poll because that's what we'll be left with.  Much more difficult choice from almost any of the others tbh.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2021, 01:41:21 PM »
May as well just have the first two albums in this poll because that's what we'll be left with.  Much more difficult choice from almost any of the others tbh.

I'm not so sure either of the first two albums will be the outright winner to be honest. Certainly not in my top two.... ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 43 queries.