Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on MK & his band touring in the future ? (is it the end)  (Read 18628 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
I get the point on playing smaller venues, but it looks like most of you are confusing the term "small tours" with "small venues", those are very different things...

If MK wants to do small tours, I doubt very much he would do them in small venues, because he has lot of musicians, some quite expensive (the Nashville cats) and a lot of gear and crew. Economically it wouldn't work a small tour in small venues unless tickets are very expensive to cover the costs and gain money...

I can see easily a small tour but playing big arenas, as you can sale lots of tickets per night, and at the same time downscale the duration of the tour.

For example, in just one night playing at the O2 arena in London, he can sell more tickets that in three nights at the RAH, that means the same money, and two less dates...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Ive been thinking on this topic, and I just cannot see Mark playing Live again full stop - think on how much he struggled to belt out a good solo during the 2019 tour. Sure he can still play but certainly not like he used to. I never thought I'd say it but to see him play like he did was very painful. Please don't become another Dillon and have people rightfully walking out of concerts...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Ive been thinking on this topic, and I just cannot see Mark playing Live again full stop - think on how much he struggled to belt out a good solo during the 2019 tour. Sure he can still play but certainly not like he used to. I never thought I'd say it but to see him play like he did was very painful. Please don't become another Dillon and have people rightfully walking out of concerts...

I enjoyed the 2019 concerts very much and I am still enjoying the recordings of the concerts I attended, but he had a lot of support from the band.    I certainly didn't find it painful to hear Mark playing at those concerts, otherwise I wouldn't still be listening to them if that was so.    The setlist was especially suited to those songs that Mark was most comfortable playing - the days of Sultans and TR are gone now.     
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado

I enjoyed the 2019 concerts very much and I am still enjoying the recordings of the concerts I attended, but he had a lot of support from the band.    I certainly didn't find it painful to hear Mark playing at those concerts, otherwise I wouldn't still be listening to them if that was so.    The setlist was especially suited to those songs that Mark was most comfortable playing - the days of Sultans and TR are gone now.   

We enjoyed the 19 tours as well. Even if TR and Sultans goes away it makes room for other great stuff. Maybe even stuff we have not heard live in many, many years. His catalogue is so huge. Is he to old to play the twiddly bits and play fast yes, but there is so much more if he wants to.
Cheers Peter

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I'd welcome a tour or even one show just to see all you guys again. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

Even if there isn't another tour, we must have an MK fans reunion in the not so distant future, after covid.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Even if there isn't another tour, we must have an MK fans reunion in the not so distant future, after covid.

Who needs a tour?  A fans reunion in somewhere like Newcastle or London would be great where we could visit places of interest relating to Mark, and the songs.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

This would need a very long pre preparation time of at least a year. Because of taking holiday and stuff. I thought about it lately as well. It was a great bunch of people. It would go well even without any MK related stuff.
The Netherlands would be great for many reasons. So that the people from the island could care about coming over to the continent instead of people being forced to travel to Brexitland.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

Who needs a tour?  A fans reunion in somewhere like Newcastle or London would be great where we could visit places of interest relating to Mark, and the songs.

Newcastle or Edinburgh!   :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
London is easy to get to, albeit expensive.

Maybe we could speak to Guy and tell him we can sell out a Blues Club gig if he could put one on.

I'm a fan of Jerry Lee Lewis and when they had a fan club meet in Memphis a few years back he turned up to meet the fans...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado

Maybe we could speak to Guy and tell him we can sell out a Blues Club gig if he could put one on.

I'm a fan of Jerry Lee Lewis and when they had a fan club meet in Memphis a few years back he turned up to meet the fans...

The blues club gigs are amazing. I’ve been to a few but the last one I went to in Putney had so many people from MK’s world (Glenn Saggers, Lawrence Adams, Luke Brighty etc) apart from MK himself.

Love Expresso

Funny that you don't even consider to ask (for) Mark, the realistic man that you are  :lol

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Yes, I agree - perhaps a few shows vice a tour??

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Newcastle or Edinburgh!   :)

Ooooh yes please!!!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
More thoughts since I originally posted……

It’s pretty much fact that Mark wouldn’t do anything without Guy but I don’t think that the presence of Guy really enables Mark to do many songs he can’t on his own. Maybe Local Hero but apart from that, Sonny Liston, Donegan’s Gone, shortened version of R&J, STP, Secondary Waltz are all songs he’s done on his own and with just Guy (pretty sure he’s done a bit of R&J on his own anyway)

I think the band he had for the radio 2 interview when he played the boxer was a pretty good size. Robbie Mc on rhythm, DC on drums, Guy on keys. Chuck in a bass player and it would be a good little band. Having said all that, I would miss the folkies.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 42 queries.