Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Early Bird?  (Read 100410 times)

Offlinerygman

• Guitar George
Re: Early Bird?
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2009, 05:55:12 AM »
I don't know what to make of all this....we have been clamoring for bonus material for literally years. Now it has arrived and we say it's a ripoff?? It's just marketing--it is sort of a ripoff but that's one of consequences of effective marketing--it makes you buy things more than once. Back in the days of cd singles, 12' versions, etc. many bands marketed the crap out of their songs--and the hard core fans bought ANYTHING that had ANYTHING they didn't already have on it. Even if it was just a two minute song, or if it had a different cover, etc.

I'm not saying it's sensible, fandom is borderline maniacal. But, can you blame record companies or artists for trying to exploit that? Does anyone think spending $40 or so for a concert t-shirt is a good value? In this age of easy internet downloads we are spoiled and we know we can just go ahead and steal nearly anything we want. It's convenient but sad....I can't imagine being an artist like MK and reading all of these reviews of a new cd that you know no one paid a cent for, they all stole it and then couldn't even wait to post their opinions on it.

I won't buy the deluxe box set or whatever it is because it's not a good value. I might buy the iTunes download (if it's even available in the US) because ten bucks or so for one new MK bonus song is worth it--to me, anyway. I already have a priceless collection of MK's live concerts, b-sides, demos, you name it. I paid nothing for most of it, it was supplied by other MK Knuts. Just because all that was free doesn't mean that I shouldn't pay for the new music that (thankfully) MK is creating.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the price seems way too high. But we asked--even begged for some STUFF. Now it's here, even if it's not exactly what we asked for. Enjoy the music!!!

Keep Knopflerin'   ;)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »
I don't know what to make of all this....we have been clamoring for bonus material for literally years. Now it has arrived and we say it's a ripoff?? It's just marketing--it is sort of a ripoff but that's one of consequences of effective marketing--it makes you buy things more than once. Back in the days of cd singles, 12' versions, etc. many bands marketed the crap out of their songs--and the hard core fans bought ANYTHING that had ANYTHING they didn't already have on it. Even if it was just a two minute song, or if it had a different cover, etc.

I'm not saying it's sensible, fandom is borderline maniacal. But, can you blame record companies or artists for trying to exploit that? Does anyone think spending $40 or so for a concert t-shirt is a good value? In this age of easy internet downloads we are spoiled and we know we can just go ahead and steal nearly anything we want. It's convenient but sad....I can't imagine being an artist like MK and reading all of these reviews of a new cd that you know no one paid a cent for, they all stole it and then couldn't even wait to post their opinions on it.

I won't buy the deluxe box set or whatever it is because it's not a good value. I might buy the iTunes download (if it's even available in the US) because ten bucks or so for one new MK bonus song is worth it--to me, anyway. I already have a priceless collection of MK's live concerts, b-sides, demos, you name it. I paid nothing for most of it, it was supplied by other MK Knuts. Just because all that was free doesn't mean that I shouldn't pay for the new music that (thankfully) MK is creating.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the price seems way too high. But we asked--even begged for some STUFF. Now it's here, even if it's not exactly what we asked for. Enjoy the music!!!

Keep Knopflerin'   ;)

Yes, I know what you are saying, and I'm certainly happy that there will be 15 songs available instead of 11.

But the way they've gone about making the additional material available is unacceptable in my opinion, yes they have to make a profit, but this is a step too far.

And I'm afraid your argument that "we get lots of bootlegs for free so we should be happy to pay
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
If there's no DRM (Itunes Plus), you can burn the CD as many times you want, and listen to it on as my computers or Ipods you want...

Yes, but legally I believe only the person who purchased the track from iTunes can do that.

Dusty is right about the law here. The owner of the original copy (the cd, mp3 file etc) can legally make copies for himself and to members of his household, but not to others, lilke friends, relatives, collegues, strangers, fellow Knutties etc.

Love Expresso

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
I don't know what to make of all this....we have been clamoring for bonus material for literally years. Now it has arrived and we say it's a ripoff?? It's just marketing--it is sort of a ripoff but that's one of consequences of effective marketing--
Hey, Rygman,

nice post!  And I understand what you mean. BUT: If there wasn

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »

Keep Knopflerin'   ;)

I can relate to all this - makes sense. I have bought next to nothing (a dozen selected tracks from itunes) from MK solo career, but from the `freebies` i`ve obtained its the rare b-side stuff that i like the most!
I feel the pain of you hard core fans - in this day and age you should be able to buy one honest to god cd with everything on it. Deluxe sets etc, should be loaded with dvds and live outakes not bonus songs.

Follow the advice on the brothers in arms album folks - Why Worry? Get what you want, however you want. MK will still be well off, the record company won`t go bust and the world will keep spinning.
No disrespect to the artist intended- i personally will pay a fortune when Alchemy is re-released,  because i WANT it! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
BTW - whos to say all these "bonus" songs WON`T be released as B-sides to future singles????

We`re all just too quick for infomation these days, i feel.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2009, 01:31:46 PM »
BTW - whos to say all these "bonus" songs WON`T be released as B-sides to future singles????

Future Singles...yeah like they happen...! :'(
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
There will come a day when they call CD singles "vintage" and sell them for the same price as a normal CD. ;)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »

CD singles are pretty much obsolete these days. Sad but true I'm afraid.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

Dusty is right about the law here. The owner of the original copy (the cd, mp3 file etc) can legally make copies for himself and to members of his household, but not to others, lilke friends, relatives, collegues, strangers, fellow Knutties etc.

In France, making a private copy for a close friend is...legal

http://www.feral-avocats.com/fr/nos-publications/articles_de_presse/20071/375.html
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »
Would some one share the url of the itunes page that offers the pre-order or whatever.   Yes, as much as I'm grumping about it, I'll buy it, as I said.   That is, if I can.   I'll make my own compilation of all 15 (or will that be 16) tracks.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »
Would some one share the url of the itunes page that offers the pre-order or whatever.   Yes, as much as I'm grumping about it, I'll buy it, as I said.   That is, if I can.   I'll make my own compilation of all 15 (or will that be 16) tracks.   

Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and download iTunes if you have not done yet. Once installed scroll down in iTunes Store and select your store (various countries available). I saw 'Get Lucky' on the Espana and Netherlands store, when selected search for 'Get Lucky' in right upper corner. But it is only in pre-order status at the mo.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »
I do use iTunes, but Get Lucky is not visible from the USA.   I hope that's only temporary.   
Thanks for the url, Martina.    :)
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »

In France, making a private copy for a close friend is...legal

http://www.feral-avocats.com/fr/nos-publications/articles_de_presse/20071/375.html
He-he, how do you measure how close the friendship is?  ;) The reason behind copyright law is to minimize loss in the artists income. If you distribute copies outside the houshold, it's a potential loss to the artist. Anyway, you may be right about French copyright law, I can't read French I'm afraid.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »
The "droit d'auteur" was invented several centuries ago mainly to primarirly protect the creator (writer, composer) against abusive position of producers or editor. In other words this is also to ensure that each time Mercury sell a copy of GL, Mark Knopfler will get some money from them. This had nothing to do with the end consummer - and for sure it was before that we were able to make personal duplication. The french law does not allow you to make 100 copies as it would turns you then into counterfacting, or give them to anybody. Where is the limit? The law does not stipulate a figure, so it will depend of the tribunal. And there is also one big restriction : the "exception au droit d'auteur pour copie priv
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:15:38 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 41 queries.