Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Early Bird?  (Read 100414 times)

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
Re: Early Bird?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2009, 04:15:34 PM »
Martina I am surprised that Mark would not have an "artist clause" in his deal with Mercury. I may be wrong but after all these years, and remember the way OES was done, thinking that Mark has not the last word over the final release is somewhat nonsense for me.

I can't believe that actualy Mark has no power to tell "here is my next album, there 11 songs and I want the first one being this one then that one, etcetera". The Beatles vetoed SPLHCB singles, Led Zeppelin vetoed STH single for some time, Mark seems to let it all go.

There are things he has interest in and others he has not. Sure he can let the record company do what they want with his work but when it turn to put Mark's image under negative lights there is a point where Mark is able to use his artist clause and say them "NO" and let them know he is not happy with what/how they are doing. The deluxe could not be done without his approval, same for the i-tune extra track.

For sure Mark does not decide their marketing strategies but when this turn to go wrong in the end he get responsability if he or the management do nothing to change that.

My "0 cent"

It would be really interesting to know the details of his contract. But we won't get them. One guy once told me that his solo contract is not that strong at all...

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2009, 04:17:29 PM »
If there are 12 people here that really want to have Early Bird then come together and buy the get Lucky album on iTunes.
Then you will pay
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:21:11 PM by JeroenvG »
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
I don't know because you keep it to those 12 people. There is no restriction on how many times you can burn a cd through iTunes.

Then somebody could download Get Lucky once, burn it to CD 100 times and sell them at a local market, saying that you are merely splitting the cost, same thing no?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
If there's no DRM (Itunes Plus), you can burn the CD as many times you want, and listen to it on as my computers or Ipods you want...
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

It would be really interesting to know the details of his contract. But we won't get them. One guy once told me that his solo contract is not that strong at all...

I don't know no sales figure for his solo albums (I bet KTGC being one of the lowest with TRD) but I can easily imagine that Mark would have more power to negociate if it was for a Dire Straits recording contract. I guess he has probably earned enough money just to concentrate only on the music he wants to record and play and don't fight with Mercury.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2009, 05:01:16 PM »
If there's no DRM (Itunes Plus), you can burn the CD as many times you want, and listen to it on as my computers or Ipods you want...

Yes, but legally I believe only the person who purchased the track from iTunes can do that.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »
Hmmm. Do not like losses music, prefer CD/SACD and vinyl. But record label does not offer me any choice: here in Russia iTunes store does not provide with songs, just iPhone/iPod apps. So I have one way to get song - to download this song illegal with clear soul. My respect to Universal Music, it  is good policy  ;D

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »
I'll buy the thing, if I can ever find the url.   It's not on itunes usa.   And I'll make my seven legal copies. . . . . . . . . . . .and do with them what I want.   
I've read through five pages of almost overnight posts, reading one theory after another.  The bottom line is that it's a cheezy thing to do to loyal fans who buy tickets for multiple concerts, buy everything published, start and participate in MK forums, scrounge through ebay for anything MK.     I don't know who is making the money, and I'm disappointed that MK either doesn't know or doesn't care.     
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »
What a rip-off! I'll buy the releases of Glass & Never Told A Soul (http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=747.0;topicseen) and I'll start to support some local musicians over here instead of buying any 'Deluxe' packages.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »

But - now this is my concern - if a fan wants to have all new stuff of the GL album, he or she has to buy the album twice. I doubt that and don't be surprised when we talk of piracy again. In a kind of way they support the 'piracy behaviour' here...not too clever! But who said they are clever after all those glitches we had already??

Which is exactly what MK tried to prevent so hard when obsessing over the video/photography/soundboard recording thing last year! Now he is encouraging all those evil bootleggers/pirates. Oh, the irony...
The thing is, I had a bad conscience back then and boycotted all those video bootlegs. I didn't even watch them at youtube. And now I say: To hell with that. How sad is this?

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »
All this could be solved by simply offering a special/limited double CD with the four extra tracks on it. Actually, as the three tracks on the deluxe set only come to under ten minutes (and the other one not much longer I guess) then there probably isn't even any need for a second CD.

This would mean that people who didn't want to fork out for a boxfull of useless memorabillia, which they'd probably take out of the box and look at once, would get the tracks simply and legally.

It's probably too late for the double CD idea, but it's certainly not too late to make them available as an EP or download. Then perhaps some dignity could be salvaged from this sorry, money grabbing mess.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »
I hope that some one at PCM or the record companies is tuned in and listening.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
Loved Guy's reply to a question from Martina about the release strategy of the new songs: "Well these decisions are mad by label, management and artist."

Yes, I know he probably just accidentally missed an e. Or maybe it wasn't so accidental  ;)
This baker's boy from the West Country

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
Whoever's to blame, one thing's for sure and that is the record company is going to make more money.  Very canny of them to announce the release of the box set before this though and now lots of fans have this on order.  Well you know what they say:  the early bird catches the worm! ::)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Loved Guy's reply to a question from Martina about the release strategy of the new songs: "Well these decisions are mad by label, management and artist."

Yes, I know he probably just accidentally missed an e. Or maybe it wasn't so accidental  ;)

Wow, quite an honest answer to my question, especially when you consider it is done in public view:
GF: "Well these decisions are mad by label, management and artist. Without wishing to appear to be side-stepping an issue, there's really not a lot I can say, or do."

So Dusty, we were both right!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.