Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best 01 Recording?  (Read 8798 times)

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
Re: Best 01 Recording?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:58:01 PM »
The best SOS of the 2001 tour must be the one from Boston... ;D It's a very rare version. Best BIA was played in Amsterdam, 2005, second night. ;) :P

Just kidding. I loved the MFN version played in 2001, beautiful intro although the whole setlist was not as good as KTGC tour.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
Think I need to dig out my STP 3CD compilation.

Although I haven't listened to it for a while, my memory of the 01 tour is that it was good, most of the reasons already mentioned:

Eclectic sets, with lots of great tracks from the wonderful STP album and also Wag the Dog, also new material (and a rocker!) in the form of Pyroman

Special guests like Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor and Sonny Landreth

Mike Henderson - I thought he was a great player and really kept MK on his toes. Although this did mean that Richard Bennett was sidelined somewhat.

Money for Nothing intro

So Far Away returned after a long absence. Yes, we're bored with it now, but it was great to hear it again on that tour

As for the critiscisms (sp), I didn't notice any mistakes from Mike Henderson or Geraint Watkins, maybe I didn't listen to enough shows.

Slightly off topic, but can anybody remember the name of the multi-instrumentalist who was going to join the band for the 03 tour before it was cancelled?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »
The cast for that tour should have been:

MK
GF
RB
DC
Geraint Watkins
Dudley Philips

Chad and Glenn had other things to do...
Love will find a Way

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »

Slightly off topic, but can anybody remember the name of the multi-instrumentalist who was going to join the band for the 03 tour before it was cancelled?

Fat Kaplin
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 12:57:49 AM »
The more I think about it, I changed my mind. The Shangri-La tour is my favorite, followed up by the 2001 StP tour. For Shangri-La, the setlist was perfect as every song just seemed to flow right into each other. There were also some really powerful shows that were never truly reproduced like 6/13/05 and 6/28/05. Sultans always called for a standing ovation.

I really enjoyed that more than the Kill to Get Crimson tour, where MK insisted on cutting out half of his guitar solos and Danny's drum fills.  ::) It took away a lot from the show IMO. Hill Farmer's Blues was great, but it was stuck between the Fish and The Bird and Romeo & Juliet, and the whole set just didn't seem to flow as well.

Just my 2 cents...
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 01:10:48 AM »
The cast for that tour should have been:

MK
GF
RB
DC
Geraint Watkins
Dudley Philips

Chad and Glenn had other things to do...

HUm

Correct line up :

Mark Knopfler: guitars/vocals
Guy Fletcher: keyboards, musical director
Danny Cummings: drums
Marcus Cliffe: bass
Jim Cox: keyboards
Richard Bennett: guitars
Fats Kaplin: guitar, fiddle, violin, pedal steel

Source : MK-News.co.uk

I guess that Jim Cox would have not made it in the end as his hearing problem turned out being unresolved.

And Fats bios is still there :

http://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/biogs/Fats.html

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:40:22 AM by ds1984 »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:47 AM »
For me Geraint Watkins was a miscast. He is an excellent honky tonk piano player but when it comes the time to perform TR for example he was not the right man to play on that.

Mike Henderson as third guitarist was most of time too numerous for the show. I mean it was great to have him on intro of MFN or the first part of STN but the rest of the time his guitar work was not adding something special, there was not really room for him when you get MK and RB already playing. His violin on WII or mandolin on JD or mouth harp on Pyroman were much more valuable contribution. But if he had left the stage during TR or BIA nobody would have noticed. 

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 03:08:39 AM »

Man, I think you are talking about a 3 cd compilation that I created at the end of 2001 and I managed to distribute in cd trees loooooooooong ago, and when torrent heaven (knopflertk) revamped, I uploaded it there!!!!

I
So Long

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 03:14:05 AM »

Man, I think you are talking about a 3 cd compilation that I created at the end of 2001 and I managed to distribute in cd trees loooooooooong ago, and when torrent heaven (knopflertk) revamped, I uploaded it there!!!!

I
So Long

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 10:38:03 AM »
Yep, that's it, was one of the earliest trees I was involved in, bravo for your efforts!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »

Although I haven't listened to it for a while, my memory of the 01 tour is that it was good, most of the reasons already mentioned:

Eclectic sets, with lots of great tracks from the wonderful STP album and also Wag the Dog, also new material (and a rocker!) in the form of Pyroman

Special guests like Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor and Sonny Landreth

Mike Henderson - I thought he was a great player and really kept MK on his toes. Although this did mean that Richard Bennett was sidelined somewhat.

Money for Nothing intro

So Far Away returned after a long absence. Yes, we're bored with it now, but it was great to hear it again on that tour

As for the critiscisms (sp), I didn't notice any mistakes from Mike Henderson or Geraint Watkins, maybe I didn't listen to enough shows.

That reminds me, I seem to remember Guy mentioning a while ago that they had planned on playing On Every Street on that tour.  Love to hear that again.  Wonder what the arrangement would be like without Paul Franklin?  Guy on lapsteel?
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
That would have been Fats Kaplin I guess as he plays guitar, fiddle, violin & pedal steel. A lap steel is a complete different instrument than a pedal steel, though it may look like similar.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »
I went to only one of the 2001 concerts, at the RAH, and was really disappointed.  It is the only time I have come home from an MK show feeling like that.  I felt that there were too many guitarists on stage, especially Mike Henderson, who was much too overpowering and I didn't like his style of guitar-playing much at all.  

The highlights of the show for me were "Junkie Doll" and "Prairie Wedding", both played superbly by Mark.  MFN was good too, with the new intro and "Pyroman" and "Speedway" were amazing, but "R & J" just didn't do it for me, neither did BIA or Telegraph Road.

I have the 2001 Chicago concert and I feel that it is a very patchy performance.  The sound quality is superb, but SOS was not played well and "Done with Bonaparte" sounded to me like the band had just lost interest.  However the performance of "TR" made up for the low points as did "STP" and "Speedway".   "R & J" was lovely too!

The 2001 Toronto concert, though, does have one of my favourite versions of BIA and STP is great too.     :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:05:02 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
Interesting to hear others favourite versions from the tour.  How about:

StP - Toronto
R&J - Philadelphia 26.04.01
SoS - San Francisco 18.05.01
JD - Helsinki
BA - Chicago
SAN - London 05.06.01
TR - Minneapolis
PW - Vancouver
BiA - Toronto
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
My favourites from that tour are

New Orleans: with Sonny Landreth as guest that night
Los Angeles: with Jackson Browne (playing pretty bad) and Bonnie Raitt (playing like heaven)
Nashville: with Paul Franklin, Emmyloh Harris, Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings
Badalona: Amazing concert from the start to the end with the best crowd I
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.