Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: ALCHEMY DVD to be released at last in 2010.!! (Am i dreaming)  (Read 21504 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: ALCHEMY DVD to be released at last in 2010.!! (Am i dreaming)
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Oh, and it's a bit strange that on the video we get the speech before ToL but on the CD it's missing.
Maybe they just cut that part out so that it would fit onto an LP in those days but it's still the same concert. :-\

OK, I'll probably get hounded out of here for saying this but I haven't listened to Alchemy for years, but my memory is that the music plays on but MK's speech is wiped from over the top of it. Could well be wrong though.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
I still recall there being some discrepancy over Love Over Gold though. I believe the issue is that Love Over Gold from the CDs (cut out of original LP release) is not from the same show as the video that ended up on the bonus DVD of "Sultans of Swing: The Very Best of Dire Straits". In fact, I wonder if Love Over Gold will be included on the new DVD and Blu-Ray releases at all.

Really? I just listened to aLCHEMY cds, SoS: TVBoDS cds, and watched TVBoDS DVD, and to me the songs sound the same. Then I listened to bootlegs from 22nd and 23rd, the version from 22nd sounds slightly different. So I would say it was taken from 23rd July.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »
Oh, and it's a bit strange that on the video we get the speech before ToL but on the CD it's missing.
Maybe they just cut that part out so that it would fit onto an LP in those days but it's still the same concert. :-\

OK, I'll probably get hounded out of here for saying this but I haven't listened to Alchemy for years, but my memory is that the music plays on but MK's speech is wiped from over the top of it. Could well be wrong though.

I'm the first one to hound out you then!!  ;D
The whaaaaat?? For years? I would certainly die without listening to aLCHEMY or any 1983 show at least once per two weeks.

Just listened to it - it wasn't just MKs speech, but the whole segment (music+voice) deleted.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »

I'm the first one to hound out you then!!  ;D
The whaaaaat?? For years? I would certainly die without listening to aLCHEMY or any 1983 show at least once per two weeks.

Just listened to it - it wasn't just MKs speech, but the whole segment (music+voice) deleted.

Ah, OK. I have to be honest and say I haven't really listened to much DS for a while, I really do prefer MK's solo stuff these days. I think it's partly because I've listened to the DS stuff so much over the years, I'm just burned out on a lot of it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
Ah, OK. I have to be honest and say I haven't really listened to much DS for a while, I really do prefer MK's solo stuff these days. I think it's partly because I've listened to the DS stuff so much over the years, I'm just burned out on a lot of it.

I'm beginning to experience that feeling probably, but not to that extent (still prefer DS to MK, and probably always will).
I would love to be in the process of listening to all the bootlegs for the first time again.
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
but you cannot seriously say you have listened to ALL the boots you got, right bobo??
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 09:34:30 PM »
I've been looking for a while now as far as trying to pre-order the Alchemy Dvd, but as yet, no site has it.
To be honest, i thought that it would have been on Amazon, play.com etc..... by now? :-\

I stumbled on this info re Alchemy. Quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy_Live

Looks like 'Love Over Gold' WON'T be on the Dvd/Blue Ray release. :(

Still no 'official' release date either.

I can't bloody wait. ;D ;D

Cheers    BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
but you cannot seriously say you have listened to ALL the boots you got, right bobo??

Haha, ALL of them?  ;D   Of course not.
Sorry, should've said that to bootlegs from different tours, if you know what I mean.
I had all the albums before bootlegs, so I didn't really know the "missing pieces". Because if you know e.g. aLCHEMY, you know that 1983 shows will be kinda same. But when you discover something completely new, I love that feeling. For example Boston 1980 was almost very first bootleg I heard, and it blew me away!

But anyway, why wouldn't they put LoG on it?! I hope it's just a rumour.

It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »

But anyway, why wouldn't they put LoG on it?! I hope it's just a rumour.

It wasn't in the vhs release, and I recall Chuck Ainley telling that they were working in exactly the same material used for the vhs, so no extras, no LOG just the vhs but enhaced and remastereded sound in 5.1 (Chuck opinion was very bad about the original sound)
So Long

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
What may spoil it is if they process the sound too much when they digitally enhance it. The major quality of Alchemy is that it was almost 'warts and all' with hardly any interference - the on-stage buzzing for example and of course Clarkeys loud synths! It all adds up to make it a unique recording and an experience the listener will not forget.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a Hollywood blockbuster soundtrack with bells and whistles coming from every corner of the room as I listen/watch it. I want the feel of a concert not a cinema - I want the sound coming at me 'in my face' not from behind me and under my legs and over my shoulder if you get my drift.  :-\

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 06:28:33 AM »
I still recall there being some discrepancy over Love Over Gold though. I believe the issue is that Love Over Gold from the CDs (cut out of original LP release) is not from the same show as the video that ended up on the bonus DVD of "Sultans of Swing: The Very Best of Dire Straits". In fact, I wonder if Love Over Gold will be included on the new DVD and Blu-Ray releases at all.

Really? I just listened to aLCHEMY cds, SoS: TVBoDS cds, and watched TVBoDS DVD, and to me the songs sound the same. Then I listened to bootlegs from 22nd and 23rd, the version from 22nd sounds slightly different. So I would say it was taken from 23rd July.

OK, as I said, I wasn't 100% sure what the issue was with Lover Over Gold. Waldo would know, as he originally brought it up on our e-mail list a long time ago, but sadly he doesn't come around here much.

I'm still in hope that it will be included on the DVD release. It would make this DVD release a bit pointless if it wasn't. I wouldn't trust that wiki article, as I think they are talking about the VHS release when they say "The song "Love Over Gold" is not included in the video...", but it's not clear.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 07:14:12 AM »
Check this out...this is a live video of Love Over Gold on Youtube, which looks to be from a tape source (?) of some sort (ignore the first 5 seconds). Note the included ending of PI and Hammersmith imagery before LoG begins, which is not on "SOS: The Very Best Of..." compilation videos (both VHS and DVD). This tells me that the live video of Love Over Gold was released at some point before the compilation video was released.

If you get the "Embedding disabled by request" message, just click "watch on youtube".  >:(

"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »
Hey, I just read your comments, and did you guys miss these infos below from JVT?

SECOND NIGHT AT HAMMERSMITH ODEON 1983

Artist Dire Straits
Venue Hammersmith Odeon, London, UK
Date 23rd July 1983
Source Audience
Format  2CD-R
Tracks CD 1 Stargazer
Once upon a time in the west
Industrial disease
Expresso love
Romeo and Juliet
Love over gold
Private investigations
Sultans of swing

Tracks CD 2 Twisting by the pool
Two young lovers
Portobello belle
Tunnel of love
Telegraph road
Solid rock
The rocks and the thunder
Going home

Additional comments Pretty good sound quality! This night was one of the two nights being recorded (22nd & 23rd July) for the famous Alchemy album. This recording is exacly the same as the Alchemy show (but then of course as an audience source), except for one small part... I discovered that the last part of Solid rock of the recording from 22nd July is the same as the last part of Solid rock on Alchemy.

Listening closely to the recording of 23rd July, it's 100% clear that this is the recording that was used for the Alchemy album. Except for the last part of Solid rock which is without a doubt very different. Just compare Alchemy which these two samples:

Solid rock - sample bootleg recording 22nd July 1983 http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/22071983_part_solidrock.mp3
This is exactly the same ending as the recording on Alchemy.

Solid rock - sample bootleg recording 23rd July 1983  http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/23071983_part_solidrock.mp3
The music building up to that very last part is the same as on Alchemy, but the final part is clearly different.

So, I think that this is the case:
The Alchemy recording is completely taken from 23rd July, except for the last part of Solid rock which was taken from the night before.

Anyway, great versions and of course great to hear the songs of this legendary night that did not make it onto the official album: Industrial disease, Twisting by the pool and the very nice version of Portobello belle. There is also some talking of Mark Knopfler during the intros of Romeo and Juliet and Tunnel of love that was edited out on the official album. Tunnel of love has a small skip in the recording, probably due to a tape change. Apart from that, this is the full show from the first to the very last note. This is also the last concert of the Love over gold world tour.

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »
I've been looking for a while now as far as trying to pre-order the Alchemy Dvd, but as yet, no site has it.
To be honest, i thought that it would have been on Amazon, play.com etc..... by now? :-\

I stumbled on this info re Alchemy. Quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy_Live

Looks like 'Love Over Gold' WON'T be on the Dvd/Blue Ray release. :(

Still no 'official' release date either.

I can't bloody wait. ;D ;D

Cheers    BBB

WB and UMG still do not have any schedule for this release. I think the first info will be announced in February or March. And what does it mean "Looks like 'Love Over Gold' WON'T be on the Dvd/Blue Ray release"? There is nothing about it.

P.S. More over I'm sure that Alchemy will not be released in April as promised. All MK/DS re-releases (DVD-Audio SL and STP, BIA SACD/DVD-Audio) were released with seriously delays
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:19:36 AM by ustas »

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »
Check this out...this is a live video of Love Over Gold on Youtube, which looks to be from a tape source (?) of some sort (ignore the first 5 seconds). Note the included ending of PI and Hammersmith imagery before LoG begins, which is not on "SOS: The Very Best Of..." compilation videos (both VHS and DVD). This tells me that the live video of Love Over Gold was released at some point before the compilation video was released.

If you get the "Embedding disabled by request" message, just click "watch on youtube".  >:(

Dammit I can't watch it, it says "This video contains content from UMG. It is no longer available in your country." Wth?
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.