Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016  (Read 35442 times)

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
Re: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2016, 09:28:16 AM »
Still hoping we get some good quality audio/videos either on the CVHF site or on Mark's official YouTube channel. I thought the half band sounded great and a recording taken on my phone really doesn't do them justice at all.

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Question for those who attended - what book or books were the inspiration for Privateering and Piper to the End?  It sounds like there was a screen on stage that showed book covers for the books that inspired each of the songs.  I'm pretty sure I know of the inspiration for the others in the set, but never knew that Privateering and Piper to the End were inspired by books. 

Thanks in advance!  Wish I could have attended!

Just to add to twm's earlier answer. Mark said that he had read all of Patrick O'Brian's books but didn't think he had been influenced by any one in particular, though he did mention "The Post Captain" when talking about "Haul Away". The cover of "Master and Commander" was shown on screen.

Also interesting to hear that "Mighty Man" was inspired in part by stories Mike McGoldrick told of his father as well as Tim O'Grady's book "I Could Read The Sky".

Regards.
This baker's boy from the West Country

Bad Bull

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »
Never heard about the book that was mentioned to have inspired Occupation Blues? Always liked the idea that this song was about his father...

Also regarding all the bad weather and mud reports it seems MK missed an opportunity: Quality Shoe should have been the song of choice...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
Many thanks, knopfler1!   MM and OB, especially, sounded very nice indeed!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
Never heard about the book that was mentioned to have inspired Occupation Blues? Always liked the idea that this song was about his father...

Also regarding all the bad weather and mud reports it seems MK missed an opportunity: Quality Shoe should have been the song of choice...

Hi Bad Bull
"Naples '44" by Norman Lewis was not a book that I had heard about either. Also surprised to see Jeanette Winterson's "The Passion" shown on the screen in connection with DWB along with "The Diary of a Napoleonic Footsoldier" by Walter Jakob which I understood to be the inspiration for the song (Mark did refer to a passage from the diary where the French soldier is running away from a Cossack).

Quality Shoe. Very good joke. Don't Forget Your Hat would also have been appropriate for those who were there earlier in the afternoon and maybe even It Never Rains!

Regards

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
"Privateering"  and "Haul Away" were illustrated by the covers of a succession of historical novels by Patrick O'Brian", I think.  For "Piper To The End", he said the title came from a description of relative of his who was a soldier (an uncle he never knew???) and the passage he read from the "Rifleman" book was about a lone piper going into battle (at Alamein???).

Thanks TWM!  I knew about Mark's uncle Freddie, the piper, but am not familiar with with "The Rifleman".  I will have to check that out.

It makes sense that the Master and Commander series would have provided some inspiration for Privateering, especially since Haul Away was inspired by it as well.

I'm also unfamiliar with "Naples, '44". 

Mark is certainly a prolific reader, and seems to draw a lot of connections between what he reads and his own life and family.  Probably more than we will ever know...

Thanks also to Knopfler1 for sharing the recording of the event!  Much appreciated!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »
"The passion" was related to Mighty Man if I recall well...
So Long

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
I am convinced that "The Passion" cover appeared on the screen immediately before "Diary of a Napoleonic Footsoldier" but happy to be corrected.

I looked up "The Passion" afterwards and probably confused myself because one of the main characters in that book was Napoleon's chef on the campaign to Moscow.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:08:46 PM by FenderBender »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2016, 12:36:13 AM »
Again I just have to say what a great experience Saturday was and one apart from Bridport (for obvious reasons) I shall not forget.
Seeing Mark & Kitty walking around the festival site in their Wellies was a bit bizarre to say the least!
Incidentally MK was wearing his wax jacket and cap like on the fantastic Henrick Hansen Film for Tracker around the site...

It was great to catch up with Guy, John & Mike too....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
Hi all,

Finally home after a long drive.

I've uploaded my files to dropbox, you can get them with this link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/es4blhzv3jtc75y/AAAtHxSkItGQkfU5wGzjX7_sa?dl=0

As mentioned, the audio was lower than a normal show so my creaky chair sometimes takes over the mix! sorry about that!

Thank you very much !

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »
Hi all,

I've uploaded my files to dropbox, you can get them with this link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/es4blhzv3jtc75y/AAAtHxSkItGQkfU5wGzjX7_sa?dl=0

As mentioned, the audio was lower than a normal show so my creaky chair sometimes takes over the mix! sorry about that!

Thank you! ;)

I've made some adjustments to the recording (mostly EQ) to get a better overall sound, anyone interested?

Bad Bull

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2016, 07:56:55 PM »

Hi Bad Bull
"Naples '44" by Norman Lewis was not a book that I had heard about either. Also surprised to see Jeanette Winterson's "The Passion" shown on the screen in connection with DWB along with "The Diary of a Napoleonic Footsoldier" by Walter Jakob which I understood to be the inspiration for the song (Mark did refer to a passage from the diary where the French soldier is running away from a Cossack).

Quality Shoe. Very good joke. Don't Forget Your Hat would also have been appropriate for those who were there earlier in the afternoon and maybe even It Never Rains!

Regards

Thank you! I knew about the "diary" but must have missed the Winterson connection.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:28:25 PM by Bad Bull »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
Hi all,

Thank you! ;)

I've made some adjustments to the recording (mostly EQ) to get a better overall sound, anyone interested?

Ofcourse, but where are the other recordings? We had 3 or 4 tapers?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
Wow 3 or 4 potential recordings?

Reading through this topic I thought we might be lucky to have 2. The one already and kindly shared by knopfler1 and one mentioned by knopflerfan.

Knopfler1's recording is great and I would be interested to hear how TheTimeWasWrong's tweeked version compares. Also I am really hoping that a recording of the whole event might surface at some point.

Regards

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
Wow 3 or 4 potential recordings?

Reading through this topic I thought we might be lucky to have 2. The one already and kindly shared by knopfler1 and one mentioned by knopflerfan.

Knopfler1's recording is great and I would be interested to hear how TheTimeWasWrong's tweeked version compares. Also I am really hoping that a recording of the whole event might surface at some point.

Regards

I thought knopflerflan, jbaent and knopfler1, makes 3 recordings.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 43 queries.