Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016  (Read 35453 times)

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Re: Knopfler at Chalke Valley History Fest 2016
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
Really looking forward to hearing the recording!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
so two recordings? awesome. and occupation blues, interesting choice. hope it sayys something about future shows.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2016, 09:36:31 PM »
Had a listen to my recordings today. Not great but the music is audible. I make the long journey from Salisbury back to North Ayrshire tomorrow so will make available when I get home!  ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
so three recordings? matrix anyone? here's mre hoping for some new video source of our man.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »

8) 8)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
so two recordings? awesome. and occupation blues, interesting choice. hope it sayys something about future shows.

I believe Occupation Blues was here because it had to be a book or a history song so to speak. I want to believe, too, but Mark is Mark ;D

The recording of this particular song would be amazing!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Songs chosen also because there were no drums.  Only time he played a show minus drums apart from Boothbay in 2006?
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2016, 12:28:16 AM »
Question for those who attended - what book or books were the inspiration for Privateering and Piper to the End?  It sounds like there was a screen on stage that showed book covers for the books that inspired each of the songs.  I'm pretty sure I know of the inspiration for the others in the set, but never knew that Privateering and Piper to the End were inspired by books. 

Thanks in advance!  Wish I could have attended!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2016, 02:04:27 AM »
 "Privateering"  and "Haul Away" were illustrated by the covers of a succession of historical novels by Patrick O'Brian", I think.  For "Piper To The End", he said the title came from a description of relative of his who was a soldier (an uncle he never knew???) and the passage he read from the "Rifleman" book was about a lone piper going into battle (at Alamein???).

Remember that I'm not the MK fan here and could have got these details wrong.

No photography was permitted from the audience (just by the press) but I thought I saw a few folk snapping away at the book titles. There did seem to be an official-looking video camera  at the back; maybe there were others there.

And, for knopfler1, this Londoner knows Ayrshire quite well, having lived and worked there for 10 years and having visited 3 times before that,  in my teens (without my parents and on my own).  I have a great fondness for that stretch of coast.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »
so three recordings? matrix anyone? here's mre hoping for some new video source of our man.

I recorded it as well  ;D
So Long

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »
Hello Folks, just come back yesterday night at 2.15!!!!

The festival was very nice despite the mud, that made it kind of special as long as we managed to not fall down, LOL

It was very nice to be seated in one table having something to eat and suddenly MK, his wife and younger daughter walked just next to us and seated in a table in front of ours. It was an experience having him so close to us in such an informal situation. I didn´t want to bother him and I didn´t approach him, one of my friends did it when he left the table to go to buy something to eat, just to shake hands during less than a second, I managed to take a picture of that moment for my friend. I also took some pictures of them buying their food and seated in the table, when they were not looking, as we were so close that it was better not made them feel uncomfortable, and they looked quite relaxed and happy, walking as well by the festival without being interrupted.

The show was nice, MK talked a lot, sometimes he sounded kind of nervous, and some of the songs sounded empty as there were not second guitar player nor drummer. Privateering was very weird when it reached the "strong part" without drums. Very nice and surprising to listen to "Occupation Blues". I just took one picture of the show because it was advised not to take pictures and not video recordings, but recorded in audio the whole thing, the quality is not good because the volume was low in comparation with a regular concert, but it's audible.

After the show MK, family and the rest of the band walked along the festival like any other person, that was nice.

I also had the big pleasure to meet TWM and his wife, with whom I had contact in the past as they helped me with proof reading of my book, the English version, and they are very nice people and with such a great interesting conversation, nice people to meet!

I would need time to work on my recording during the week so it seems likely that the other recordings see the light first than mine.

Henrik Hansen was recording in video the talk, so I guess the long documentary about MK is not finished yet, also according to Mikel Camps, who was also there, someone from the BBC that has a youtube history channel recorded in video the show, and someone from the festival did it as well, so I expect that some videos would appear soon.

I guess that the videos from the festival will be here https://vimeo.com/chalkevalleyhistorytrust/videos

I´m not sure about the BBC youtube account, but it might be this one: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyWlAfHayTgOkFTMVJz_spg

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:37:26 AM by jbaent »
So Long

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »

And, for knopfler1, this Londoner knows Ayrshire quite well, having lived and worked there for 10 years and having visited 3 times before that,  in my teens (without my parents and on my own).  I have a great fondness for that stretch of coast.

I spent some happy days there too when I was about 9-11 years old and usually around the the time Wimbledon was on.  My Gran knew an old lady from Doonfoot, near Ayr and I would visit for a week during school holidays.  I remember she was good friends with the music hall act Grace Clarke and Colin Murray who used to visit quite often.  He would teach me card tricks!  Glen Michael lived there too!  Enough name dropping and back to the Festival!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
Thanks for review Jbaent.  Glad you had a good time after your journey. 

As you say, Privateering without drums will be interesting to hear...

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
"Privateering"  and "Haul Away" were illustrated by the covers of a succession of historical novels by Patrick O'Brian", I think.  For "Piper To The End", he said the title came from a description of relative of his who was a soldier (an uncle he never knew???) and the passage he read from the "Rifleman" book was about a lone piper going into battle (at Alamein???).

His Uncle Freddy, who died being 20 years old, was a piper in the army. Mk says that he never met his uncle.

I spent one night and one morning in Ayr when I went to Glasgow for the Knopfler/Dylan concert in 2011. A nice little place with a nice beach, I liked it. Actually I made some pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/atmilinko/albums/72157627745316187

So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
Songs chosen also because there were no drums.  Only time he played a show minus drums apart from Boothbay in 2006?

Hay festival 2007 ?

+ lot of TV-radio promo gigs, but of course not "real" shows

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.