Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Hot Dog  (Read 28184 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Hot Dog
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »
That's just stupid. Why release a song in only one country..? It makes no sense at all and it stimulates piracy, because people refuse to buy the same album twice for only one song. And I am not saying I encourage it, I do not at all. I don't understand it at all. Really strange decisions, because people will get to hear the song anyway.

Regular Germans and rest of the world fans won't know that there is a difference, and will buy the cd anyway, is just us, die hard fans, who know about it, and cares...

Maybe is a way to avoid German buying imports, offering the chance of buying the same cd but with one more song that only Germany edition has.

When STP in the USA had "Do America" instead "One More Matinee", Universal UK decided to release, just for the UK, the two songs in the cd, having three editions, the most complete only for the UK, with "Do America" only for the USA, and "One More Matinee" for all over the world editions, except USA...

Marketing things... Getting our money for nothing.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

foma

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
Whis is why I will not have any Tracker CD at all. I don't need to buy 4 versions to get it all. At least they put bonuses of Deluxe Edition on 1CD!
I'm going to buy some hi-rez version in alac, if they will put it out (and I think they will do), and the rest I'll get with the magic of the internet! :wave

surferboy

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »

With the Tracker box it's the same like with the Get Lucky box and the Privateering box, so we should know it by now.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 04:36:41 PM »
I really don't see the point in all the bonus tracks. There are room for three or four more songs on the "normal" CD, so if the songs are good enough for release, why don't put them there? If you think that an album is meant to be an album, where the songs are put together for a reason, are these bonus songs a part of the story? I get a feeling that something is unfinished with all these extra tracks here and there. I would rather that Mark decided which songs should be released, and that he made a complete album out of these songs. If there were a lot of tracks left, I think it would be better to release them later, in another setting, and not in addition to the normal release. It is just confusing. What is the track list for Tracker?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:39:29 PM by Jarle »
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

foma

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
I really don't see the point in all the bonus tracks. There are room for three or four more songs on the "normal" CD, so if the songs are good enough for release, why don't put them there? If you think that an album is meant to be an album, where the songs are put together for a reason, are these bonus songs a part of the story? I get a feeling that something is unfinished with all these extra tracks here and there. I would rather that Mark decided which songs should be released, and that he made a complete album out of these songs. If there were a lot of tracks left, I think it would be better to release them later, in another setting, and not in addition to the normal release. It is just confusing. What is the track list for Tracker?

Another part of the story is that gems like 'River Of Grog' would be almost digged in obscurity just because it's a bonus track!

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »
How I wish they had release so many bonus tracks from STP, it's been said that many great songs were left out, like Pyroman, Bonafide, Two skinny kids and many more...

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
Any way is more decent that forgotten in who knows which drawer...

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
I will go for the Tracker Saturn Deluxe Edition then.
I get 5 Bonus Tracks at least. So if anyone is interested and orders the Tracker Box
PM me. Then Hot Dog vs. Oklahoma & Time will  ;)

Do not forget to use the Saturn newsletter to get a EUR 5 discount on orders above EUR 30.
Love will find a Way

LoveExpresso

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
I will go for the Tracker Saturn Deluxe Edition then.
I get 5 Bonus Tracks at least. So if anyone is interested and orders the Tracker Box
PM me. Then Hot Dog vs. Oklahoma & Time will  ;)

Do not forget to use the Saturn newsletter to get a EUR 5 discount on orders above EUR 30.

So Saturn calls it Deluxe Edition and Media Markt had only the Hot Dog track? Have you seen a track list from saturn? And how long is Hot Dog? Would be a more-than-80-minutes-CD then? Hm..

LE

LoveExpresso

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »
Cool thanks. Good bye amazon.  ;D

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 07:57:55 PM »
I think that the whole thing has been discussed many times. Yet, the points made can all be summarized to this: Since the physical object (CD or Vinyl) are  declining in sales, the record companies seek ways to make fans buy the same product multiple times.
Having said that, the same companies never paid the artists well enough for the sales and always treated their customers like wallets and never as lovers of music. So it is peculiar that only a few well known artists (Radiohead, Thom Yorke, Darren Hayman etc)  prefer to break the bonds with the big companies, offering a special super deluxe edition for the fans and a "normal" issue for the rest. The rest of the artists just follow the companies' strategies. 4 or 5 different editions with extras in each and every one, clearly targeting the fans.

Usually the extra songs were used for the deluxe edition (usually issued as anniversary edition) , the B side of singles or in some cases EPs between albums. MK has not issued commercial physical singles for his Privateering and Get Lucky     
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
The Hot Dog Deluxe version on saturn.de is cheaper than the normal Deluxe Edition with 15 tracks. With 2 Euro shipping I pay the same for Hot Dog included than on Amazon without.

Btw Hot Dog must be in the Top 3 of the silliest song names MK has ever released. I bet the song is crap.  ;)

LE

LoveExpresso

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
Not too sure about the theory of making the fans buy the same Album multiple times, vgonis. I guess it is more like a wider product variation nowadays to get more people's attention really. They know how easy you can get a track for free on the internet. I agree however that the biggest and most expensive thing should have all songs in it.  Plus the big retailers have the power to say give us something special or we won't offer your product at all. So they get a little song here and there. Most of the time not the best ones.. yes I know Early Bird is great.

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »
True,
but which titles complete this list? Just curious

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
He is not the first one!

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 48 queries.